Raines...

sox4life14

anyone know why Harold Baines is the first base coach this year. i know its kinda late but i really just noticed it a couple games ago that Tim Raines isnt at first. i always enjoyed seeing him run to first as the sox were coming to bat and try and beat a through from the oppisote teams SS or 2B it always made me laugh.

Sox4life14

The original reason gave here was because Baines wanted more face time since this was going to be his final year with the Sox (either he was going to retire or try and find a better coaching gig).

However, he just signed an extension so I honestly have no idea why Baines is out there now. Raines was a better baserunner and is far more knowledgable when it comes to that aspect of the game, so I figure he'd be the better base coach.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 23, 2006 -> 01:09 PM)
This is Harold's last year with the Sox as a coach, he wanted to spend the season on the field before he goes.

Are we confusing things here. Harold is at first this year. Rock was at first last year. But Harold was not at first the last few games.

Harold just signed a 3-year extension, Rock did not.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...rtswhitesox-hed

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2006 -> 01:15 PM)
The original reason gave here was because Baines wanted more face time since this was going to be his final year with the Sox (either he was going to retire or try and find a better coaching gig).

However, he just signed an extension so I honestly have no idea why Baines is out there now. Raines was a better baserunner and is far more knowledgable when it comes to that aspect of the game, so I figure he'd be the better base coach.

The reason Raines is in the dugout, I thought, was because Raines could talk to players because he was on the bench now as oppossed to being on the field while the players were on the bench.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ May 23, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
Are we confusing things here. Harold is at first this year. Rock was at first last year. But Harold was not at first the last few games.

Harold just signed a 3-year extension, Rock did not.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...rtswhitesox-hed

Yeah, I had it the other way around, Raines wanted to spend the year on the bench before he moves on.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 23, 2006 -> 01:18 PM)
Rock should be at 1B as one of the best and most knowledgeable base stealers of all time. He had 808 career swipes which is out of control.

It really doesn't matter, a firstbase coach doesn't really do anything anyway.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ May 23, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)
The reason Raines is in the dugout, I thought, was because Raines could talk to players because he was on the bench now as oppossed to being on the field while the players were on the bench.

This was the reason given in the off season when the move was announced. Supposedly, Guillen wanted Raines to talk to the players more on the bench which he couldn't do in the field. Baines as we know is quiter and would discuss stategy with Guillen but wouldn't talk to the players much.

if Baines just signed a 3-year extension, and Raines' contract is up after the season, wouldn't it have made sense that Ozzie make Raines his bench coach to help Raines in finding a better coaching position after the season? I'd think being on the bench the entire game with the reigning AL Manager of Year and discussing strategy with him would be something good to put on a resume.