Center Field Candidate

winninguglyin83

I can't remember if it was at Soxfest or I read it somewhere, but I do remember KW talking about his future 2 and 3 year player board (2007,08,09), that he has with players names on it, anf he said that it was very difficult to take Youngs name off of it when the trade was made. He pretty much said that he was a future all-star player that he hate to let go.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Game in and game out, at least what few I have got to watch, he looks clueless at the plate. That's what the big problem is. I'm not ready to throw him under quite yet, but the time is getting close where he needs to start showing some signs at the plate.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ May 31, 2006 -> 05:43 PM)
OK -- I'm out on Anderson.

He whiffed too much last year at Triple A, he didn't do much (except for one game against Seattle) last season, he rarely walks and he's been horrible offensively this season. HORRIBLE.

So you give up on Anderson after two months? Gonna have to call that for what it is, judging way too soon.

If every prospect who comes up was just labeled as a bust after two full months, not many players would survive at the big league level. Aaron Rowand is a perfect example.

As far as Young goes, he's gone and I no longer care about his progression or how good he will be.

It got us Vazquez, which is a huge upgrade for our rotation at an affordable price based on the current climate of the pitching market. When we go deep in the playoffs this year, no one will care about Chris Young or how good he will be in 2012.

QUOTE(Rooftop Shots @ May 31, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)
I can't remember if it was at Soxfest or I read it somewhere, but I do remember KW talking about his future 2 and 3 year player board (2007,08,09), that he has with players names on it, anf he said that it was very difficult to take Youngs name off of it when the trade was made. He pretty much said that he was a future all-star player that he hate to let go.

I asked him that question. But now I could really care less about Young. He's gone. I'm sure there are some Diamondback fans who'd like to talk about him though.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ May 31, 2006 -> 05:52 PM)
i'm out on Anderson for THIS SEASON.

he can't keep playing the way he is.

Wait until we play the NL teams in their parks.

we have Uribe, Anderson, pitcher,.

three outs.

the fifth and sixth place hitters won't get anything to hit.

pull the plug.

He won't play in interleague much because he'll probably be in Charlotte.

If he goes down and finds some success I'd like to see him back on the team this year.

He's just that good in CF defensively, definitely better out there than any player we could acquire.

Also I would like to remind people that we are not losing games because of Anderson.

We are losing games for a couple of reasons:

1) Jon Garland has been horrible.

2) Our defense hasn't been very solid.

3) Our bullpen, in spots, has been awful.

Don't remember any games this year where I thought, damn we just lost because of Anderson.

Some of the vets need to pick up the pace. It's not all on BA folks.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ May 31, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)
been a bunch of games when we could have used an extra run here or there, but we got nuthin from the bottom of the lineup.

Chris Singleton could come out of the booth and give us more than Anderson -- and it would improve the radio broadcasts, too.

Gotta agree with the second part on that.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ May 31, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)
OK -- I'm out on Anderson.

He whiffed too much last year at Triple A, he didn't do much (except for one game against Seattle) last season, he rarely walks and he's been horrible offensively this season. HORRIBLE.

Will Young be better in the big leagues?

Too soon to tell.

I just think the kid has a chance to be special. He's young for Triple A, he's done a good job of controlling the strike zone and scouts say he's every bit the outfielder anderson is.

Owens ain't the answer for center field.

below average arm, slap hitter, OK routes.

Sweeney is a corner outfielder.

We need to find a solution to center field -- for 2006, 07, 08, 09.

Um, if there's one thing that BA has been doing well this season at the plate it's walk. His OBP is currently .271 which sucks but when you're batting .164 that OBP is actually incredibly high. An OBP that is 107 points higher than your average is very good, it means that the OBP is not average heavy and the hitter is actually taking walks. BA has walked 16 times, that's 10 more times than Uribe in 12 less ABs.

It's fun giving up on a player 144 ABs into their career.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ May 31, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
been a bunch of games when we could have used an extra run here or there, but we got nuthin from the bottom of the lineup.

Chris Singleton could come out of the booth and give us more than Anderson -- and it would improve the radio broadcasts, too.

So by your vim and vigor to get rid of Anderson, you also want to get rid of Uribe,. Because Uribe is a vet, and isnt hitting much better than Anderson.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 31, 2006 -> 06:11 PM)
It's fun giving up on a player 144 ABs into their career.

We should have done it for Crede too.

And all of the other talented players throughout big league history who haven't produced immediately.

It's just sooooo logical.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ May 31, 2006 -> 04:56 PM)
i'm making a list of all the games he has won for the Sox with his glove this season.

It's a short list.

None.

How can you even say that? If there's a lesser defensive player in CF you don't know how many balls find the grass that normally wouldn't with BA out there, not to mention his arm which allows him to hold runners and stop them from taking the extra base, thus keeping runners out of scoring position. Talk about an unsubstantiated claim.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ May 31, 2006 -> 04:56 PM)
i'm making a list of all the games he has won for the Sox with his glove this season.

It's a short list.

None.

Can you then make a list of all the games he has lost with his bat.

Short list.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 31, 2006 -> 06:15 PM)
How can you even say that? If there's a lesser defensive player in CF you don't know how many balls find the grass that normally wouldn't with BA out there, not to mention his arm which allows him to hold runners and stop them from taking the extra base, thus keeping runners out of scoring position. Talk about an unsubstantiated claim.

I don't have a problem with people knocking BA for his average.

My main problem is that there are other problems on this team that are bigger than Anderson at the plate, yet somehow its a full forced attack to get rid of BA.

I don't think people realize how bad our outfield defense becomes with Mack out there full-time. Or if we move Pods over.

When the ball starts flying all over the cell very soon, people are going to be more pissed that Mackowiak is misjudging balls left and right and not making routine plays.

Knock BA for his average all you want, but he has an absolutely solid throwing arm and he gets to a ton of balls in CF. He just makes it look easy out there.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 31, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
Don't remember any games this year where I thought, damn we just lost because of Anderson.

The Friday night game at home vs Toronto. Vazquez ended up imploding in the 5th. However, Anderson had a few chances with the bases loaded earlier in the game to put it out of reach. Instead, he K'd in one AB, and hit into a DP in the other AB. That was his worst game of the season, in my opinion.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 31, 2006 -> 06:18 PM)
The Friday night game at home vs Toronto. Vazquez ended up imploding in the 5th. However, Anderson had a few chances with the bases loaded earlier in the game to put it out of reach. Instead, he K'd in one AB, and hit into a DP in the other AB. That was his worst game of the season, in my opinion.

Then blame Vazquez for imploding. He's a veteran pitcher with a big lead.

Other people had chances to get hits too.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 31, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
Some of the vets need to pick up the pace. It's not all on BA folks.

We're going to need more offensive production from guys like Anderson and Uribe when our veteran offensive hitters cool down.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 31, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)
Then blame Vazquez for imploding.

Other people had chances to get hits too.

Trust me, Vazquez deserves his fair share of blame for that game. However, how can others get a hit when Anderson hits into a weak 5-4-3 DP with one out and the bases loaded? There's a huge difference between a game being 5-2, and the game being 7 or 8 to 2. I'm not blaming Anderson for anything overall this season.....all I know is that I'm not seeing any progress being made by him, and I don't think Ozzie and KW are going to sit around and let him work himself out of this horrid slump. If he doesn't get it going, I don't think he's going to be on the roster past June 15th.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 31, 2006 -> 06:22 PM)
We're going to need more offensive production from guys like Anderson and Uribe when our veteran offensive hitters cool down.

Trust me, Vazquez deserves his fair share of blame for that game. However, how can others get a hit when Anderson hits into a weak 5-4-3 DP with one out and the bases loaded? There's a huge difference between a game being 5-2, and the game being 7 or 8 to 2. I'm not blaming Anderson for anything overall this season.....all I know is that I'm not seeing any progress being made by him, and I don't think Ozzie and KW are going to sit around and let him work himself out of this horrid slump. If he doesn't get it going, I don't think he's going to be on the roster past June 15th.

Better make a deal then because Mack full-time in CF will lead to disasters.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 31, 2006 -> 10:23 PM)
Better make a deal then because Mack full-time in CF will lead to disasters.

I couldn't agree more. I like the name, Matthews Jr., that DA is throwing around. He's a GREAT guy, and a pretty solid player. However, I don't know how eager the Rangers are to trade him. I mentioned Lew Ford earlier, as he doesn't have a spot with the Twins anymore. I don't want to see Mackowiak in CF full-time, as he's just as likely to go in a slump at the plate as he is to stay hot.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 31, 2006 -> 06:25 PM)
I couldn't agree more. I like the name, Matthews Jr., that DA is throwing around. He's a GREAT guy, and a pretty solid player. However, I don't know how eager the Rangers are to trade him. I mentioned Lew Ford earlier, as he doesn't have a spot with the Twins anymore. I don't want to see Mackowiak in CF full-time, as he's just as likely to go in a slump at the plate as he is to stay hot.

Lew Ford, that's hilarious.

He might be worse than Mack.

Matthews Jr. is another blah name.

If we're going to make a deal, get someone substantial.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 31, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
Lew Ford, that's hilarious.

He might be worse than Mack.

How's he worse than Mackowiak? I've always thought he was a tremendous outfielder. I've always said I would gladly take Hunter on this team....but I can't see that working out. If Matthews Jr. is a blah name, then what is Anderson? If we were a mid-level team this season, I'd have no problems with Anderson getting a lot of playing time. However, we're going for a WS title, and Anderson has done nothing that shows he can hit at this level.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ May 31, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)
getting something substantial would probably cost Broadway or Sweeney.

we've already traded enough of the farm system away.

So who's starting in CF for you? Mackowiak? I've already asked this question once today, why not ask it again, do you care about defense at all?