Center Field Candidate

winninguglyin83

Chris Young hit his third homer in his last six games for the D'backs Triple A team last night,

He's recovered from his broken hand and has six dingers in his first 115 at bats in Tucson. He's also got 9 doubles and 25 RBIs with an OPS of .870 during his first year in Triple A.

I know we're playing for this season. I know Vasquez has done good things. I know starting pitching is critical.

I just fear this kid is going to become a stud we're going to be talking about for years.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ May 31, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)
Chris Young hit his third homer in his last six games for the D'backs Triple A team last night,

He's recovered from his broken hand and has six dingers in his first 115 at bats in Tucson. He's also got 9 doubles and 25 RBIs with an OPS of .870 during his first year in Triple A.

I know we're playing for this season. I know Vasquez has done good things. I know starting pitching is critical.

I just fear this kid is going to become a stud we're going to be talking about for years.

KW said of all the prospects he has traded away, that Young will be the one that will most likely come back to bite him in the butt.....strong words considering Reed was an elite prospect and gio and haigwood have done very well

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ May 31, 2006 -> 12:14 PM)

He will.

The big question is going to be whether or not Javy makes that trade worth while.

Gio's numbers are better than Haigwood's at Double A.

I always look at hits and Ks per innings pitched in the minors, more than wins or ERA.

Gio has thrown nearly 60 innings with only 39 hits and 69 Ks. That's damn good. Needs to improve control with 27 walks.

Haigwood not as good, especially considering he's older. In 51 innings, 49 hits and 54 Ks, but 31 walks.

I'll say this: Arizona and Philly scouted our system pretty well.

Nobody asked for Anderson.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ May 31, 2006 -> 02:31 PM)

How do you know this? BA was by far the most pro ready prospect we had and Kenny knew if he was going to move Rowand he was going to need another great defensive replacement and BA fit the bill. I really don't think anyone knows that either of those teams did not ask about Anderson.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)

Both Rowand and Anderson would never be traded in the same deal, and Chris Young was in the Arizona deal because he's one of the best prospects in the league, and the Sox wouldn't give up both him and Anderson in the same deal.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ May 31, 2006 -> 02:31 PM)
Gio's numbers are better than Haigwood's at Double A.

I always look at hits and Ks per innings pitched in the minors, more than wins or ERA.

Gio has thrown nearly 60 innings with only 39 hits and 69 Ks. That's damn good. Needs to improve control with 27 walks.

Haigwood not as good, especially considering he's older. In 51 innings, 49 hits and 54 Ks, but 31 walks.

A few years ago, Jeremey Reed tore up AA, and AAA. When he was traded, people were livid, because he was the next big thing. He has hit for s*** in the majors. Prospects are Prospects until they do it in the show day in and day out. Gio could be the next big thing, then again he could be a left handed Felix Diaz. Chris Young could be the next big thing, then again he could turn into Joe Borchard. I like Jim Thome and Javier Vazquez this year over the bulk of prospects we gave up. We are trying to win a world series this year, not become the Minnesota Twins.

Chris Young's main comp. is Mike Cameron, so if he turns out to be Cameron, I certainly won't be that angry. If we kept Chris Young and he became a ten time all-star and during his tenure we did not win the WS, then it doesn't matter. If we win this year, Vazquez is going to be a intergral part and I will gladly trade a all-star player (like Young could be) for a WS title.

Well Chris Young is no longer with the Sox, so what is the point of even discussing this?

All of the Anderson doubters are really starting to get on my nerves. The kid has hardly had a chance to get settled in and all we can do is speculate about other players and this or that.

At this point, you're either in or out with this kid. Just don't try to jump back on the bandwagon when he turns into a stud. He's already one of the best defensive centerfielders in baseball.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 31, 2006 -> 02:33 PM)
I believe KW listed BA as one of his untouchables too.

kw listed BA, mccarthy and sweeney as his 3 untouchables, he never had young on that list. even if young turns out too be good u have to remember its not hard to replace outfielders, theres plenty of those.

BTW, from what ive seen from sweeney, granted it was spring training, he seems like a future star. plus hes real young. he can do it all

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 31, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
At this point, you're either in or out with this kid. Just don't try to jump back on the bandwagon when he turns into a stud. He's already one of the best defensive centerfielders in baseball.

I agree about his defense, I love the way he plays CF. But his batting is atrocious right now. And I don't see signs of improvement. It's not like hes ripping the ball right too people, he's striking out 30% of the time. He just needs to refocus or something. How will he do that is the question. But I KNOW this kid can hit, he just needs to get around to it. Maybe in AAA.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 31, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
Well Chris Young is no longer with the Sox, so what is the point of even discussing this?

All of the Anderson doubters are really starting to get on my nerves. The kid has hardly had a chance to get settled in and all we can do is speculate about other players and this or that.

I agree. Anderson will improve and with his great defense theres no one to replace him with. The one that should get benched is Uribe.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:28 PM)
I agree. Anderson will improve and with his great defense theres no one to replace him with. The one that should get benched is Uribe.

Definately true about Uribe. He just doesn't seem to try at all.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)
I agree about his defense, I love the way he plays CF. But his batting is atrocious right now. And I don't see signs of improvement. It's not like hes ripping the ball right too people, he's striking out 30% of the time. He just needs to refocus or something. How will he do that is the question. But I KNOW this kid can hit, he just needs to get around to it. Maybe in AAA.

and who will replace him if he goes to AAA?

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:29 PM)
and who will replace him if he goes to AAA?

That's the million dollar question. And I don't have the answer. But he obviously needs to refocus his hitting, and Im not sure the majors is where he needs to do it.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:29 PM)
Definately true about Uribe. He just doesn't seem to try at all.

Um, bulls***. What has Uribe ever done to make people think he doesn't try? The guy is not hitting right now and is incredibly streaky but that does not mean that he's not trying. All I ever see from him is hustle and I highly doubt he would have gotten this far without trying.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)
Um, bulls***. What has Uribe ever done to make people think he doesn't try? The guy is not hitting right now and is incredibly streaky but that does not mean that he's not trying. All I ever see from him is hustle and I highly doubt he would have gotten this far without trying.

You really think he's making strides at the plate? You think hes getting better? I don't.

I didn't mean not trying to play well, I meant not trying to get better.

If this has been posted in another topic im sorry, but i dont feel like searching 4 hours to find what im looking for. Not much has been talked about with Owens or Sweeney to come play CF for the Sox and I was wondering why. Owens looked really well in ST from what I saw and his baserunning ability is great. I knew he was in the final 2 in ST between him nd Brian for the last OF spot. I would really like to see him up here soon. Also, Sweeney is hitting 300 and would be interesting to see if he could fill the hitting role that we have been waiting for Anderson to fill. He may be a not so great fielder, but i havent seen enough of him. Any feedback would be great from you guys.

:gosox3:

Edited by JenksForPrez45