Center Field Candidate

winninguglyin83

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
You really think he's making strides at the plate? You think hes getting better? I don't.

I didn't mean not trying to play well, I meant not trying to get better.

He's struggling right now, that does not mean he's not trying to get better. I really don't think Juan wants to end up on the bench so yes I believe he is attempting to improve his hitting and I'm not really sure how anyone outside of the coaching staff can say otherwise.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)
He's struggling right now, that does not mean he's not trying to get better. I really don't think Juan wants to end up on the bench so yes I believe he is attempting to improve his hitting and I'm not really sure how anyone outside of the coaching staff can say otherwise.

The first step to trying to get better at the plate is taking pitches and seeing the pitcher. You can't do that when you swing at the first pitch, and end up with an out.

QUOTE(JenksForPrez45 @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)
If this has been posted in another topic im sorry, but i dont feel like searching 4 hours to find what im looking for. Not much has been talked about with Owens or Sweeney to come play CF for the Sox and I was wondering why. Owens looked really well in ST from what I saw and his baserunning ability is great. I knew he was in the final 2 in ST between him nd Brian for the last OF spot. I would really like to see him up here soon. Also, Sweeney is hitting 300 and would be interesting to see if he could fill the hitting role that we have been waiting for Anderson to fill. He may be a not so great fielder, but i havent seen enough of him. Any feedback would be great from you guys.

:gosox3:

Sweeny was discussed heavily in a thread this morning.

QUOTE(JenksForPrez45 @ May 31, 2006 -> 01:35 PM)
If this has been posted in another topic im sorry, but i dont feel like searching 4 hours to find what im looking for. Not much has been talked about with Owens or Sweeney to come play CF for the Sox and I was wondering why. Owens looked really well in ST from what I saw and his baserunning ability is great. I knew he was in the final 2 in ST between him nd Brian for the last OF spot. I would really like to see him up here soon. Also, Sweeney is hitting 300 and would be interesting to see if he could fill the hitting role that we have been waiting for Anderson to fill. He may be a not so great fielder, but i havent seen enough of him. Any feedback would be great from you guys.

:gosox3:

Sweeney has also been on the DL recently. He's played very little CF, and had even less time because of that DL trip. Owens is hitting what, .230 at AAA right now? He also should basically never play CF, he'll be quite bad there defensively.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:36 PM)
The first step to trying to get better at the plate is taking pitches and seeing the pitcher. You can't do that when you swing at the first pitch, and end up with an out.

That's his MO and the MO of most latin hitters. When he's going good, he's roping those first pitches around the park and no one is saying anything.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
Sweeney has also been on the DL recently. He's played very little CF, and had even less time because of that DL trip. Owens is hitting what, .230 at AAA right now? He also should basically never play CF, he'll be quite bad there defensively.

So the Pods in CF and Owens in left idea would be stupid? just wondering

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
That's his MO and the MO of most latin hitters. When he's going good, he's roping those first pitches around the park and no one is saying anything.

Yes, when he is going good, and he can see the ball better, I have no problem with swinging at the first pitch. When you are stuggling, as he is, you NEED to take pitches to get an eye back for the ball. If he weren't struggling, he would be seeing the ball better and would be able to swing at it.

I think one of the things that Ozzie should do to help Brian is not sit him against RHP. IN his major league career, he has been much more effective vs RHP. Also, his numbers have been improving throughout the season, so yes he has been making strides.

After every loss, no matter whose fault it is, are you still going to blame Uribe and Anderson?

QUOTE(JenksForPrez45 @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
So the Pods in CF and Owens in left idea would be stupid? just wondering

Owens blows in AAA. Why would that warrant a call up?

As Mike Ditka used to say: People who are looking in the past are LOSERS! We made the deals. Move on. One thing I know for SURE: None of those Double and Triple A minor leaguers will help the Sox to win the World Series this year. Thome and Vazquez will!

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
After every loss, no matter whose fault it is, are you still going to blame Uribe and Anderson?

If this was directed at me, no, not unless it is there fault. I think it was terrible that we had two on with one out, and Uribe and Anderson both got out yesterday. Don't remember how Uribe did, but BA struck out. I don't say its completely there fault, but thats a golden situation.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:43 PM)
If this was directed at me, no, not unless it is there fault. I think it was terrible that we had two on with one out, and Uribe and Anderson both got out yesterday. Don't remember how Uribe did, but BA struck out. I don't say its completely there fault, but thats a golden situation.

What about Paulie's situation? Or Dye's. They both left more men on base than Anderson.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
What about Paulie's situation? Or Dye's. They both left more men on base than Anderson.

Yes, I put a lot of it on Paulie's struggles lately as well, but you asked me about Uribe and Anderson, not Paulie or Dye.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)
Yes, I put a lot of it on Paulie's struggles lately as well, but you asked me about Uribe and Anderson, not Paulie or Dye.

Then why arent you b****ing about them? They performed worse when the game was on the line last night. The loss had nothing to do with Anderson and Uribe. It was a good game, we can win tonight.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 31, 2006 -> 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well Chris Young is no longer with the Sox, so what is the point of even discussing this?

All of the Anderson doubters are really starting to get on my nerves. The kid has hardly had a chance to get settled in and all we can do is speculate about other players and this or that.

At this point, you're either in or out with this kid. Just don't try to jump back on the bandwagon when he turns into a stud. He's already one of the best defensive centerfielders in baseball.

:headbang

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:46 PM)
Then why arent you b****ing about them? They performed worse when the game was on the line last night. The loss had nothing to do with Anderson and Uribe. It was a good game, we can win tonight.

Because this thread isn't about Paulie or Dye! Its really not even about Uribe, someone just brought it up. And it's more of the fact that Uribe and BA have struggled tons more than Paulie or Dye have this year. They have been our rocks in the lineup, along with Thome. When Uribe and BA start to play better, they won't get as much b****ing.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)
Because this thread isn't about Paulie or Dye! Its really not even about Uribe, someone just brought it up. And it's more of the fact that Uribe and BA have struggled tons more than Paulie or Dye have this year. They have been our rocks in the lineup, along with Thome. When Uribe and BA start to play better, they won't get as much b****ing.

But the point of your posts is last nights situations. And frankly, BA and Uribe didnt f*** up as much as these rocks that you speak about. We are going to lose games, you all need to get over it. Dye struggled just like this last year, and everyone wanted him gone, does that look like a good opinion at this point? Didnt think so.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)
But the point of your posts is last nights situations. And frankly, BA and Uribe didnt f*** up as much as these rocks that you speak about. We are going to lose games, you all need to get over it. Dye struggled just like this last year, and everyone wanted him gone, does that look like a good opinion at this point? Didnt think so.

First off, Im not hung up on the loss. I know we aren't going to win them all. And the point of my post is NOT last night's situation only. Uribe and Anderson have struggled ALL YEAR. Last night is just the one thats freshest on my mind. And, if you are trying to tell me I am one of the ones who wanted Dye gone, how would you know? I like Dye, I love his hustle. I love his experience too, although thats not worth much in baseball really.

Well Chris Young is no longer with the Sox, so what is the point of even discussing this?

Well, I'd agree it shouldn't be in "Pale Hose Talk", but he was a Sox as recent as this offseason, and he was involved in a critical trade. Furthermore, he's been called "a better version of Mike Cameron", i.e. a .900 OPS guy in CF with all-league range.

That's a hell of a player, and I hope Vasquez makes this deal worth it.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:58 PM)
Well, I'd agree it shouldn't be in "Pale Hose Talk", but he was a Sox as recent as this offseason, and he was involved in a critical trade. Furthermore, he's been called "a better version of Mike Cameron", i.e. a .900 OPS guy in CF with all-league range.

That's a hell of a player, and I hope Vasquez makes this deal worth it.

What was Joe Borchard called?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
What was Joe Borchard called?

Chris Young has also had much more success in the minor leagues than Borchard ever had and just because one prospect never panned out doesn't mean he won't.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 31, 2006 -> 04:03 PM)
Chris Young has also had much more success in the minor leagues than Borchard ever had and just because one prospect never panned out doesn't mean he won't.

Im not saying he wont. Just that being called the next something, doesnt mean much.

OK -- I'm out on Anderson.

He whiffed too much last year at Triple A, he didn't do much (except for one game against Seattle) last season, he rarely walks and he's been horrible offensively this season. HORRIBLE.

Will Young be better in the big leagues?

Too soon to tell.

I just think the kid has a chance to be special. He's young for Triple A, he's done a good job of controlling the strike zone and scouts say he's every bit the outfielder anderson is.

Owens ain't the answer for center field.

below average arm, slap hitter, OK routes.

Sweeney is a corner outfielder.

We need to find a solution to center field -- for 2006, 07, 08, 09.

Edited by winninguglyin83

I believe everyone wanted to get a new CF a few years ago when Rowand was struggling.

The Sox even sent him down briefly, he came back and he was our mainstay out there from then on out.

If it takes a brief AAA stint to straighten out Brian, so be it.

But no way in hell would I suggest that we should just try and get someone else to take his spot.

The guy clearly has talent, he is definitely what KW would call a grinder with his attitude, heart and hustle and he's still young.

Throwing him under the bus is just uncalled for right now.

We're 33-18, I don't see what the big problem is.