Hangar18's Chicago NewsMedia Watch Thread

Hangar18

QUOTE(SnB @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
because we've seen these threads time and time again?

It gets old, especially when it really doesn't have anything to do with our team.

It's people looking for something to complain about.

The two concrete examples will always be attendance and media coverage.

It's a message board. Why can't people complain? That's life. So what do you do when someone complains in real life? Do you get scared and run away because you can't lock a thread in a real life situation? Threads on a message board are like little rooms in a big house. You can decide what room to go in any time you wish, if you would rather not be a part of the complain room, you can go and run to the game thread room, it's your choice. Their are plenty of rooms for all of us. As long as their are members from soxtalk posting in a thread, I think it is thread worthy. We don't need people who disagree with it to tell us. Threads die if they are not worthy. I just don't understand why threads get put down or locked so often here. To simplify my point, I do not want this place to turn into wsi. Their was a reason why I fell in love with soxtalk and not wsi.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
What does this thread have to do with debate at all? Its whining about media coverage, has nothing to do with the team, or the workings of the team. Its about someone complaining about something.

as long as the words "white sox" appear. It has everything to do with the team.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
It's a message board. Why can't people complain?

So Henry can complain.. but people can't complain about Henry complaining...??? :huh

:P

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:40 PM)
What sticks out is the 2003 Cubs vs the 2005 Sox. Even thought the Sox won the first WS series in ages for Chicago, the Sun Times had less to say about them then they did for the Cubs in 2003.

Wow. Now that I didnt know. I had separate records for that year, and I kind of knew that to be the case (every dang time I opened the paper, they were front page headlines)

03 and 04 are the years that stand out to me as well.

In 03, the northside team surprised everyone and made the playoffs, and the Media here went HOG WILD writing as many stories as they legally could.

In 04, the stories for the northside team were Unprecedentedly high, and that was based on them "winning" in 03.

Did the SOX get HOG WILD coverage in 05 when they surprised everyone ? NO. The media told us "lets wait and see" OR "theyre not for real" and continued to give the other team more coverage.

Did the SOX get the Unprecedentedly high coverage for actually WINNING the World Series in 05?? NO. The records above bear this out.

So in other words, the media here (and only here, this isnt happening in any other city) cares only about the northside team, World Series be damned. Its a crying shame, and despicable this team isnt treated better.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
Please god, let the sox win tonight, this board sucks right now. Thanks

-Rock

Oh stop your complaining... :bang

:lolhitting

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
I know what you are saying. But it's like I said in one of these wacky threads today.. it's like a Frank praise thread. It's started with the topic. "Good Job Big Hurt" and within 8 minutes there are 42 posts (sic) "Eff that baby... big skirt... whiner...etc, etc..." I don't see any cheap comments. There is a serious stereotype that Sox fans are obsessed with the Cubs... and Henry fits that to a "T". It's not a shot... it's a fact. Besides.. no need to worry about Henry. He's been getting his balls busted about this stuff for years.

it's not that we are obsessed with the cubs. The fans who live in or around the city are tired of being force fed cubs. Thats why they have such a huge fan base, the people who gave in to the force feedings from wgn, the tribune and the rest of the media. I understand all the regulars view on this situation, as it is a very tough one. You guys do not want soxtalk to be labled as a site that worries about the cubs more than the sox. I know that the hardest put down a sox fan can ever hear is, "you hate the cubs more than you love the sox". But the first thread was all fact based. I seen nothing wrong with it. If it were a thread titled "the cubs suck" for stupid reasons, then we have problems.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 04:00 PM)
So Henry can complain.. but people can't complain about Henry complaining...??? :huh

:P

:blink: stop complaining, about me complaining ,about you guys complaining about henry.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 04:07 PM)
it's not that we are obsessed with the cubs. The fans who live in or around the city are tired of being force fed cubs. Thats why they have such a huge fan base, the people who gave in to the force feedings from wgn, the tribune and the rest of the media. I understand all the regulars view on this situation, as it is a very tough one. You guys do not want soxtalk to be labled as a site that worries about the cubs more than the sox. I know that the hardest put down a sox fan can ever hear is, "you hate the cubs more than you love the sox". But the first thread was all fact based. I seen nothing wrong with it. If it were a thread titled "the cubs suck" for stupid reasons, then we have problems.

:blink: stop complaining, about me complaining ,about you guys complaining about henry.

Better get on Trader Joe's now too. They got the cub logo on their bags instead of the Sox. Maybe the cubs just do a better job of getting their crap out there? Or is the media the reason for the cubs logo being on the Trader Joe's shopping bags?

QUOTE(zach61 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
Better get on Trader Joe's now too. They got the cub logo on their bags instead of the Sox. Maybe the cubs just do a better job of getting their crap out there? Or is the media the reason for the cubs logo being on the Trader Joe's shopping bags?

SO does Old Style Beer. I would like some comparison's on that. And Jewel and Dominicks sell cubs and white sox bags of nuts, I wonder if the ratio of cubs to sox bags in the display is sqewed based on the attendance the previous week.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
SO does Old Style Beer. I would like some comparison's on that. And Jewel and Dominicks sell cubs and white sox bags of nuts, I wonder if the ratio of cubs to sox bags in the display is sqewed based on the attendance the previous week.

So are you saying there are more bags of nuts with the Sox logo left over cause the cubs have more attendance? :P

OK. :huh:

I'm not. I was defending your accusation of people attacking him. I don't give a s*** who complains about what, especially Henry. I've been listening to his mumbo jumbo so long I've conditioned my ears to only respond to him at Holiday Parties and other personal events we attend. Like I've said to Henry to his face... he's a sweet guy, and a real fan... but his obsession - maybe YOU aren't obsessed... but he IS - drives folks nuts. If he toned it down just a bit he wouldn't get the reaction he gets. But.. he loves it anyway so it doesn't matter.. :lolhitting

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
What does this thread have to do with debate at all? Its whining about media coverage, has nothing to do with the team, or the workings of the team.

Its "stating facts" about media coverage of the Chicago White Sox. You dont think coverage has anything to do with a team? Explain why 39,000 continue to fill that stadium up north, when theyve only had THREE 90win seasons? Cant be because theyre good. They stink. Its because their owners (and they control the rest of the media here because of how big they are) make sure to tell everyone how Great that park is,

and how dangerous our park is. Simple as that. Well that and they have the dumbest fans in baseball.

The Pittsburgh Pirates have probably one of the most "beautiful" parks in Baseball. What was todays attendance on a 85 degree day at PNC Park? 12,899. They have a more beautiful park, and are even WORSE than the northside team.

They were selling Sox and Cubs cookies at Jewel near my house, and had "Cubs" written on the sign first and in bigger letters.

Jewel hates the Sox. :D

^ I hate to admit it.. but when I went into Jewel the other day I saw no bags with Sox on them and I complained.. :ph34r:

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)
Its "stating facts" about media coverage of the Chicago White Sox. You dont think coverage has anything to do with a team? Explain why 39,000 continue to fill that stadium up north, when theyve only had THREE 90win seasons? Cant be because theyre good. They stink. Its because their owners (and they control the rest of the media here because of how big they are) make sure to tell everyone how Great that park is,

and how dangerous our park is. Simple as that. Well that and they have the dumbest fans in baseball.

The Pittsburgh Pirates have probably one of the most "beautiful" parks in Baseball. What was todays attendance on a 85 degree day at PNC Park? 12,899. They have a more beautiful park, and are even WORSE than the northside team.

The city of Pittsburgh has a population of 334,563, while the Pittsburgh Metro area has a population of 2,358,695 according to This page.

Chicago has a population of 2,896,016 and it's metro area holds 9,157,540, over 3 times as much as Pittsburgh. Therefore, the percentage of the city's population going to Cubs games and Pirates games yesterday was roughly the same. Actually, Pitt was even slightly higher.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)

Have you even been to wrigleyville. I couldnt think of a better area to have a sports stadium. DOnt compare pit to chicago either. Wrigley field is in one of the best sports neighborhoods around. They have so many sports bars, restaurants, public trans etc, thats why it draws fans. You sound just like the guys who protested the cubs last sat to no avail. The media doesnt bring the fans, and it doesnt keep fans from our stadium. Wrigleyville brings fans, and rightfully so, if the sox played there, it would be heaven.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)

Oh bulls***. If the media had that much control over attendance there would be NO ONE at Comiskey. And last time I checked... I write the check for my season tickets without help from a media outlet. Sox fans who aren't obsessed with the Cubs go for the product not the atmosphere. That's that. And the atmosphere around Wrigley is more lively - note I did NOT say better.

The attendance was s*** in Pitts today because the fans have brains, unlike most of the Cub "fans". It's not about the coverage... it's about word of mouth. And if it's not then let them read and fill that s*** hole up all they want. I don't want their stupid asses at my "house".

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
^ I hate to admit it.. but when I went into Jewel the other day I saw no bags with Sox on them and I complained.. :ph34r:

The sox peanuts taste much better.

Can we have a sep Cubsession section of the board so Henry and Cuck can post there.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
Oh bulls***. If the media had that much control over attendance there would be NO ONE at Comiskey. And last time I checked... I write the check for my season tickets without help from a media outlet. Sox fans who aren't obsessed with the Cubs go for the product not the atmosphere.

I get the feeling Henry has never written that check.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
The city of Pittsburgh has a population of 334,563, while the Pittsburgh Metro area has a population of 2,358,695 according to This page.

Chicago has a population of 2,896,016 and it's metro area holds 9,157,540, over 3 times as much as Pittsburgh. Therefore, the percentage of the city's population going to Cubs games and Pirates games yesterday was roughly the same. Actually, Pitt was even slightly higher.

But when the cubs play there, the park fills up and the trib writes about the cubs losing instead of the Sox winning at home. So because of the media, the Sox get no coverage and its the medias fault that there were no Sox fans in PNC.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)

Can we have a sep Cubsession section of the board so Henry and Cuck can post there.

or a catch all thread at the very least.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Sox bags were all sold out. Sox stuff is a hot commodity right now. No one wants to go up to the counter with a Cubs bag. No one wants that shame and embarrassment.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)

Henry can't write that check cause he spends all his money on the trib hoping to see more stories about the Sox.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
The Sox bags were all sold out. Sox stuff is a hot commodity right now. No one wants to go up to the counter with a Cubs bag. No one wants that shame and embarrassment.

That is what she told me. The Friday Sox/Cubs game I had to go to 3 different Jewel stores to get a Sox balloon. They all told me the stuff was flying off the shelves. Thank God the Trib hasn't gotten into the minds and brainwashed the good folks of Plainfield... :lolhitting

Guest JimH
It's not about the coverage... it's about word of mouth.

Best statement in this whole thread.

As for this guy starting and maintaining a thread on this media bias thing ... people will comment one way or the other. A few will find it interesting and a lot will find it overkill and beating a dead horse.