OASIS IS BETTER THAN THE BEATLES!!!

Kid Gleason

No idea. I just know the albums listed there and on CNN don't land in my "Top Anything" list.

Here is the Top 10 as listed on CNN:

The top 10:

1. "Definitely Maybe," Oasis.

2. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," The Beatles.

3. "Revolver," The Beatles.

4. "OK Computer," Radiohead.

5. "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?" Oasis.

6. "Nevermind," Nirvana.

7. "The Stone Roses," The Stone Roses.

8. "Dark Side of the Moon," Pink Floyd.

9. "The Queen Is Dead," The Smiths.

10. "The Bends," Radiohead.

Some great variety there... :huh:

I usually hate lists like these anyway, mostly because of the bootlegs.

For instance:

revolvin.jpg

Revolving>>>Revolver

Revolving has 60 tracks on it. You get all of the raw versions minus overdubs, outtakes, demos, the entire mono album, etc.

And you can make a case like this for any one of their albums. Really, I have no use for the official albums.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
That is wrong on so many levels... Oasis was all right, but 2 in the top 10 of all time, puleeze.

What "Sands my Crotch" is outside the Abbey Road studios a obscene number of people have begun to write Oasis tributes across the sidewalks and gates.

:headshake

I love how no one comments on Radiohead having 2 in the top 10. :P

Although if there is a correct top 10, thats definitely not it, its just too subjective to make a top 10 many people at all will agree with.

Ya know what honestly gets me? The fact that The Beatles are replaced by The Beatles basically, and that the rest of the Top spots are the same ol' bands as always, without Hendrix. Just once I want to see somebody step out and say "f*** it, the greatest album ever was Mott by Mott The Hoople" and for people to quit following along with what everybody else f***ing says.

I'm soooo sick of the friggin' Beatles...and of that friggin' Hendrix guy.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
I won't go so far as to say Oasis is "better than" the Beatles, but at this point in time I like more Oasis songs than Beatles songs, if only because I'm completely sick of 99% of Beatles songs. Heard them too many times for too many years.

Amen, get on with your lives people....well sort of.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 08:27 PM)

Dude, have you ever heard Jimi's "BBC Sessions" 2CD set that was (finally) officially released in the late 90s? That compilation is absolutely phenomenal. I put together a live 1967 comp almost entirely from that 2CD set. I also used the Stockholm soundboard.

1. Driving South (Top Gear 10/17/67)

2. Hey Joe (Saturday Club 2/13/67)

3. Purple Haze (Top Of The Pops 3/2/67)

4. The Wind Cries Mary (Stockholm 9/5/67)

5. Burning Of The Midnight Lamp (Top Gear 10/6/67)

6. Love Or Confusion (Saturday Club 2/13/67)

7. Spanish Castle Magic (Top Gear 12/15/67)

8. Catfish Blues (Top Gear 10/6/67)

9. Driving South #2 (Top Gear 10/6/67)

10. Jammin' (Top Gear 10/6/67)

11. Purple Haze (Stockholm 9/5/67)

12. Hey Joe (Stockholm 9/5/67)

13. Manic Depression (Saturday Club 4/17/67)

14. Hear My Train A Comin' (Top Gear 12/15/67)

I'm working on a few others. I have enough great instrumentals (both live and studio) to make a 3CD set.

There are about 20 essential soundboards from 1967-1970, I'd say. Half of them have been officially released by the Hendrix family/Dagger Records, albeit in very limited quantities. The Ottawa 1968 concert is his best IMO. There are some shows with BB King from 1968 that are almost entirely instrumental, and they're outstanding.

Give his entire catalog a listen, and if you still don't like it, perhaps Classic Rock is not your cup of tea. What am I saying, I already know it's not. :D

Edited by hammerhead johnson

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
Ya know what honestly gets me? The fact that The Beatles are replaced by The Beatles basically, and that the rest of the Top spots are the same ol' bands as always, without Hendrix. Just once I want to see somebody step out and say "f*** it, the greatest album ever was Mott by Mott The Hoople" and for people to quit following along with what everybody else f***ing says.

All the Young Dudes was a better album than MOTT. :ph34r:

Here's the thing with these lists. Anyone of us could make a top 100 list. Seal it in an envelope and open it in three months and when it is opened, we would disagree with our own lists.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
All the Young Dudes was a better album than MOTT. :ph34r:

It was just an example. I also wanted to use a Mott album that wasn't universally regarded as their best. I was REALLY trying to say something with my statement as you can see. :D

Hammerhead, I would be open to giving more Hendrix a try. I'm just not sure I want to spend the cash to check out all the stuff you are mentioning. But I try to keep an open mind.

And hey, I have a ton of "Classic Rock" in my collection. T-Rex, Mott The Hoople, Sweet, Slade, NY Dolls, MC5 are all among my favorite bands. Or is that not "Classic Rock"? Faces also just might be my favorite band, if I had to use that ugly category "favorite band".

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 07:18 AM)
It was just an example. I also wanted to use a Mott album that wasn't universally regarded as their best. I was REALLY trying to say something with my statement as you can see. :D

Hammerhead, I would be open to giving more Hendrix a try. I'm just not sure I want to spend the cash to check out all the stuff you are mentioning. But I try to keep an open mind.

And hey, I have a ton of "Classic Rock" in my collection. T-Rex, Mott The Hoople, Sweet, Slade, NY Dolls, MC5 are all among my favorite bands. Or is that not "Classic Rock"? Faces also just might be my favorite band, if I had to use that ugly category "favorite band".

Funny story. As I read this thread, I was listening to one of my Pandora stations. The song? "One of the Boys", Mott the Hoople. Weird.