Big Frank

Guest JimH
Frank pulled up lame off of a double. He simply can not run anymore.

That pretty well sums it up.

Unfortunate. His batting eye is coming back around, he's got more walks than K's and his average is starting to climb. Of particular note, I believe this was only his 4th double of the year, that's unheard of for Frank Thomas.

I hope he's able to carry on, but any additional injury to that same ankle is not good news for Frank.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per Fanball:

June 4, 2006 9:57 PM ET

Athletics: Thomas leaves with foot injury

Athletics designated hitter Frank Thomas doubled and scored against the Twins on Sunday, but was running gingerly and left the game in the third inning with soreness in his left foot. After the game, Thomas was walking fine and trainer Larry Davis told MLB.com that it was very smart of Thomas to take himself out.

Our View

It sounds like Thomas removing himself from the game could have potentially saved further damage to the foot. No official diagnosis beyond soreness has been made, so fantasy owners should check his status before assuming he'll be ready to go this week—especially given his injury prone past.

"It's no big deal,'' Thomas said. "It was just sore to start the day, I should have taken the day off. Instead, the worst thing happened -- I hit a double my first at-bat and had to score (two pitches later). I was in and out of the slush bucket, and it feels a lot better.''

Thomas believes he'll be able to play Tuesday. This would be a poor time for the team to lose Thomas for any extended period, because he has rediscovered his hitting stroke in the past few weeks, with a .328 average and 17 walks over his past 20 games.

SF Chron

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
:cheers

I'd love for him to finish the season with some impressive numbers.

Agreed. I really want to see the guy finish with a career average above .300 (currently at .305). So his BA could use just a little bit of a spike for safety, but all his numbers are right on par.

I would have loved to see Thomas hit #500 if he were still in a White Sox uniform. Like many, it's still surprising to see him wearing green and yellow, it's like some sort of nightmare. But that's just me.

Frank hits his 15th of the year off Randy Johnson.

This question is directed towards Thomas supporters. I already know what the haters will say.

What would our team look like this year had we kept Rowand and signed Frank to an incentive laden contract? Perhaps we could have used some of the Thome money towards bullpen help? I know it's a stretch but what do you think? I'm not saying it's something I would have supported but we might not be much worse than we already are.

I'd imagine our 3-4-5 hitters would have been Dye, PK, and then Frank.

Edited by BigSqwert

Honestly, as much as I love Frank and I truely do. I'd take Thome over him any day of the week and twice on Sunday, especially in the long run. I just think Thome has been so damn good that he's made Dye and Konerko that much better this season. I'm not so sure Frank would have that same effect.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 04:51 PM)
Frank hits his 15th of the year off Randy Johnson.

This question is directed towards Thomas supporters. I already know what the haters will say.

What would our team look like this year had we kept Rowand and signed Frank to an incentive laden contract? Perhaps we could have used some of the Thome money towards bullpen help? I know it's a stretch but what do you think? I'm not saying it's something I would have supported but we might not be much worse than we already are.

I'd imagine our 3-4-5 hitters would have been Dye, PK, and then Frank.

So, numbers-wise, Thome is being paid like $6 million this season by the Sox, because we're getting all that money from Philly. If we had signed Frank to an incentive laden deal, well first of all we'd be without Thome's production in the lineup, but if Frank put up numbers that would justify bringing him back in 07, he'd be making a lot more than he'd make in 06, and the injury risk would go up every year.

We have Jim Thome for 2006, 2007, and 2008, for like $20 million altogether. If Frank could perform well enough to come back each of those years, it'd probably cost almost that much to hold onto him, and we'd wind up with less production and a higher injury risk. We may be able to get him for 09 also (he has an option that year if we want to pick it up or renegotiate beforehand a-la Chipper Jones)

Yes, right now, we'd be about the same, but that's because the difference between Thomas and Thome has been offset by the incredibly bad work at the plate of Brian Anderson.

Furthermore, it's also worth wondering whether or not we could have even signed Frank to a 1 year, incentive laden deal. Frank could have been offered arbitration by the team even after his contract was bought out for the $3.5 million at the end of last year. But usually in arbitration, a player's salary doesn't go up or down by that much, so if we'd offered arbitration, Frank's people could have just accepted the arbitration and forced the Sox to pay another $8 mil or so for him this year, or they could have held accepting arbitration over our heads as a negotiating tool. It would have put the Sox in a very bad position had we actually done that.

On top of all of that, I think it's really nice to have a left handed bat in our lineup, just so Ozzie can't throw out his "9 righty" lineups any more.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 07:57 PM)
Honestly, as much as I love Frank and I truely do. I'd take Thome over him any day of the week and twice on Sunday, especially in the long run. I just think Thome has been so damn good that he's made Dye and Konerko that much better this season. I'm not so sure Frank would have that same effect.

I agree 100%, and that's why it pisses me off everytime a Frank hater has to mention Thome's name whenever they see Frank's. I don't think any of us disagrees with what the Sox did this offseason.

Unfortunately I get the dang Yankees games every weekend on Fox in Kansas, so I have to listen to Sox radio to get the games. But I did get to see Frank's at bat against Mussina in the first. Wow, he has really turned things along in the last three weeks; there might not be a hotter player in the league than Frank (besides our 3-4-5, of course). I really feel good that Frank has found his stride in Oakland.