Offense is not the problem

VAfan

We are tied for 4th in baseball with 293 runs scored over 53 games. At that pace, we'll score 154 more runs than last year. So, Brian Anderson and Juan Uribe notwithstanding, I don't think the fact we are slightly off our torrid early start from last year can be laid at the feet of the offense. (Though it does cost us games. Case in point - Iguchi's inability to get a bunt down in the 3rd inning of the second game against Cleveland. Had he gotten Ozuna over to 3rd, he would have scored, and that game would have been tied 4-4 in the 9th.)

I think the main issue for this team is the bullpen.

Compare last year's bullpen ERA to this year's:

Cotts 1.94 v. 3.22

Politte 2.00 v. 6.41

Hermanson 2.04 v. no one

Jenks 2.75 v. 3.80

Vizcaino 3.73 v. McCarthy 5.28

Marte 3.77 v. Thornton 4.58

As I wrote before the season started, it seemed crazy to start the season with essentially 4 rookies in the bullpen: Jenks (his first April-July stint); Logan (up from A ball); McCarthy (a converted starter without a year in the league); and Thornton (who barely had a year with Seattle and was trying a new delivery). We've been seeing the effects of that decision.

Still, I'm not worried. Jenks is doing fine in save situations, which are the most critical moments. Thornton is getting better even as he has occasional flare ups like yesterday. Cotts appears to be coming around. Nelson is a better choice than Logan. And McCarthy just needs to be properly and consistently used. I'm also sure if there's a better arm out there to be had in a trade that KW will pull the trigger.

Plus, it's not always the bullpen's fault. Every one of our 5 starters has had games they shouldn't have had.

But, for this team to get on track with how it is capable of playing, it is going to have to start with the pitching. That's why we're trailing the Tigers right now.

Will the pitching get better? Yes, I think it will. Frankly, I don't see how it could get any worse than it is. Perhaps Contreras and Buehrle won't be able to maintain sub-3.00 ERAs, but every other member of the staff should end up with a better ERA at the end of September than they have now. And for some (like Garland, Politte, McCarthy, and Garcia), it should be a lot better.

Flawed logic is a b****.

Last year through May:

Cotts: 3.38 Vs 3.22 now

Vizcaino: 6.46 Vs 5.28 of McCarthy

Shingo: 5.97 Vs 3.80 Jenks now

You can't use full season stats for one and only 2 months for the other, it makes absolutely no sense.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
Flawed logic is a b****.

Last year through May:

You can't use full season stats for one and only 2 months for the other, it makes absolutely no sense.

:cheers

Why is it so hard to just admit we have THREE problems with this team.

1. Bullpen

2. Shortstop / 8 Hitter

3. Centerfield / 9 Hitter

The main problem changes from day to day. Three games ago, we lost because the bottom of the lineup failed to produce. They pitched around Thome; Konerko and Iguch sucked; and we couldn't score any runs because the bottom of our order was crap. Yesterday, the main problem was the bullpen. We scored enough runs but our bullpen was crap.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is we don't just have one problem to address, we have three and any one of those three can cost us a game on any given night.

QUOTE(pcullotta @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 03:28 PM)
Why is it so hard to just admit we have THREE problems with this team.

1. Bullpen

2. Shortstop / 8 Hitter

3. Centerfield / 9 Hitter

The main problem changes from day to day. Three games ago, we lost because the bottom of the lineup failed to produce. They pitched around Thome; Konerko and Iguch sucked; and we couldn't score any runs because the bottom of our order was crap.

Oh yeah...they suck.

:headshake

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)
Oh yeah...they suck.

:headshake

I said That day.

That was my point. One day the Bullpen is our biggest need. Another day we will pay the price for getting no production out of the bottom of the order.

Edited by pcullotta

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
Flawed logic is a b****.

Last year through May:

Who can match Hermanson's 0.82 ERA?

What about Politte's 1.77 ERA?

Heck even Damaso had an ERA of 2.29....

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)

Can't, hey I think the pen sucks right now too. I was just pointing out a flaw in his logic.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)

Since we dicussing it,

I think those are the main differences right there: the abscene of Dustin and Cliffy being lights out.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 09:16 PM)
Do you think he was happy with his performance with the angry smiley?

Sometimes green isn't needed for sarcasm.

I guess I got "Kalapse'd" as you guys keep saying. :P

My computer is sporadic in its loading of images, so I'm not always seeing all of the smileys.

It's true that the bullpen's a pain in the title defense.

But I'm, personally, more bothered by Mackowiak's poor patrol of Center field.

I know that the bullpen is our biggest concern, but it's not that bad to me as a fielder who can't quite read the ball off the bat. At least with the bullpen, there are reasons: we've got rookies, expected drop offs, and an old man.

Perhaps I was spoiled by Rowand and Anderson, but I expect far much more from Mackowiak.

The sox (and us as the fans) should feel grateful that we are playing absolutely horrendous right now, and are only 2+ games behind Detriot right now and can make a statement/decrease or tie the lead, when we play them after this series.

Edited by SoxAce