• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Baseball America Has Sox Interested In These 3 Players

By Jason Gage

FutureSox.com

With the draft less than an hour away, Baseball America has released and updated mock draft and apparently the White Sox have shown interest in potentially selecting one of Chris Perez (RHP), Pedro Beato (RHP), and Chris Tillman (RHP). THe Sox hold the 29th overall selection and if available Beato would represent a tremendous value pick.

Here are some short scouting reports on each player:

RHP Chris Perez (MIAMI)

Perez is a junior at the University of Miami who has pitched as a starter and reliever and is now the Canes closer. He was suspended for part of a season after being arrested for Drunk Driving (was not convicted). Perez is 6-4 and has seen his velocity climb into the mid 90's. He mixes his FB (which he has poor control of) with a very good breaking slider thats in the mid 80's. Has had bouts with putting on weight, but he does do a good job repeating his delivery.

RHP Pedro Beato (St. Petersburg JC)

Beato was originally drafted by the Mets last year in the 17th round. He was a highly touted prospect who fell as he was returning from tommy john surgery (had it during his junior year of high school). Beato came back and found his stuff. Throws a fastball with good sinking action (90) and has been clocked as hard as 96. Mixes that in with a hard slider (mid 80's), curve and a changeup.

Beato would need to work on smoothening out his mechanics, but the guy has a big frame (6-5).

Chris Tillman, RHP - Fountain Valley High School (CAL)

Tillman is a 6-6 pitcher with a big frame thats very projectable. He's comitted to Cal State Fullerton for college and is expected to go as early as the end of the 1st round or as late as the end of the 2nd round.

He's a more raw guy who loses his stuff as the game goes on and some wonder if he's just cruising, but he only has 2 picthes at this point and is seeking a 3rd pitch. This is the type of player that is more of a project and a team that takes him would really be projecting him (ie expecting him to really develop).

The type of guy that could really benefit from going to a place like Cal State Fullerton. However, scouts like him enough that he'll go early enough to where he'll probably forego college.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 10:12 AM)
Where's the best spot to follow this live? This is really the first time I've ever been home for the draft.

Check out the MLB's draft site, it should be linked up from mlb.com. You can listen to the audio feed or you can watch the video show for the first round.

I'll likely be sticking to the tried and true audio feed.

It's a teleconference, Rowand, so you can tune in at MLB.com (somewhere).

BTW -- if you guys have any questions about any of the prospects, I have a BA subscription (for today only :D ), so shoot me a question here if need be.

Some interesting names -- Beato, is in fact, ranked 13th overall. Jeremy Jeffress is a guy that Sickels and Goldstein absolutely love. If Drabek were to fall, do the Sox take him? Or is there too much 'baggage' there?

Kupe, I didn't get to ask you over at Sickels site, so maybe I can ask you here (?) -- any reason you went with Adrian Cardenas with the Sox first-rounder in the mock draft? That seems like sort of a reach (not saying it's a bad pick), and you weren't really talking about him a whole in your pre-draft MODs.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)
If Drabek were to fall, do the Sox take him? Or is there too much 'baggage' there?

Too much baggage, in my opinion. I don't think 90 pct of his troubles have even been reported. Watch the Cubs take him, as they usually go for the best available talent.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
Too much baggage, in my opinion. I don't think 90 pct of his troubles have even been reported. Watch the Cubs take him, as they usually go for the best available talent.

So, you're not just thinking his troubles are coming from the 'typical' 18-year old who knows he's going to be a millionaire in a couple months, cocky/arrogant type kid? He seems really talented, no question...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
So, you're not just thinking his troubles are coming from the 'typical' 18-year old who knows he's going to be a millionaire in a couple months, cocky/arrogant type kid? He seems really talented, no question...

Nope....it sounds like he has some serious problems. The Drabek team has been going out of their way to keep things hush-hush, and I've actually been told to keep things quiet that I've heard from my source. It will be interesting to see how far down he drops.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 11:20 AM)
BA Has Us Interested in 3 guys (Doesn't mean we take them either):

RHP Chris Perez (MIAMI)

Perez is a junior at the University of Miami who has pitched as a starter and reliever and is now the Canes closer. He was suspended for part of a season after being arrested for Drunk Driving (was not convicted). Perez is 6-4 and has seen his velocity climb into the mid 90's. He mixes his FB (which he has poor control of) with a very good breaking slider thats in the mid 80's. Has had bouts with putting on weight, but he does do a good job repeating his delivery.

RHP Pedro Beato (St. Petersburg JC)

Beato was originally drafted by the Mets last year in the 17th round. He was a highly touted prospect who fell as he was returning from tommy john surgery (had it during his junior year of high school). Beato came back and found his stuff. Throws a fastball with good sinking action (90) and has been clocked as hard as 96. Mixes that in with a hard slider (mid 80's), curve and a changeup.

Beato would need to work on smoothening out his mechanics, but the guy has a big frame (6-5).

Chris Tillman, RHP - Fountain Valley High School (CAL)

Tillman is a 6-6 pitcher with a big frame thats very projectable. He's comitted to Cal State Fullerton for college and is expected to go as early as the end of the 1st round or as late as the end of the 2nd round.

He's a more raw guy who loses his stuff as the game goes on and some wonder if he's just cruising, but he only has 2 picthes at this point and is seeking a 3rd pitch. This is the type of player that is more of a project and a team that takes him would really be projecting him (ie expecting him to really develop).

The type of guy that could really benefit from going to a place like Cal State Fullerton. However, scouts like him enough that he'll go early enough to where he'll probably forego college.

Beato would be interesting due to his heavy sinker. The only drawback is he is coming from TJ Surgery.

Chris Perez was a starter who was changed to a closer after an injury.

I dont know anything about Chris Tillman. What kind of stuff does he have. Fastball speed?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)
Beato would be interesting due to his heavy sinker. The only drawback is he is coming from TJ Surgery.

Chris Perez was a starter who was changed to a closer after an injury.

I dont know anything about Chris Tillman. What kind of stuff does he have. Fastball speed?

Tillman throws 90-94, but later in games he has been known to slip into the upper 80's. A team that takes him wouldn't be taking him for what he's done in high school (especially not this year, he was on a bad team though). They would be taking him for his body size and the stuff he ocassionally flashes.

A true project and I am not a fan of taking him.

Latest from BA:

11:38 a.m.: Multiple sources are confirming that the Royals, as Baseball America has projected, will take Fort Worth Cats righthander Luke Hochevar with the No. 1 choice at 1 p.m. ET. The Dodgers, who pick No. 7, are believed to be zeroing in on Motlow State (Tenn.) CC righthander Bryan Morris. It's possible Morris would be available when Los Angeles picks next at No. 26. But the Dodgers could lose him to the Braves at No. 24 or the Angels at No. 25, and don't want to risk it.

--Jim Callis

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 09:27 AM)
Nope....it sounds like he has some serious problems. The Drabek team has been going out of their way to keep things hush-hush, and I've actually been told to keep things quiet that I've heard from my source. It will be interesting to see how far down he drops.

Drabek is going to have to go to the type of team that will just flat out take a chance. He has top 10 talent, but with all the other stuff surrounding him he could drastically fall (even out of the 1st round; although I am hard-pressed to see it happening). A small-to-mid market team will not be taking him.

By the way, what do you guys think of me just merging this with the draft thread. That way we can all continue this discussion in the same thread.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
Drabek is going to have to go to the type of team that will just flat out take a chance. He has top 10 talent, but with all the other stuff surrounding him he could drastically fall (even out of the 1st round; although I am hard-pressed to see it happening). A small-to-mid market team will not be taking him.

Like I said....the Cubs

BTW....who does BA project Drabek going to right now?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
Tillman throws 90-94, but later in games he has been known to slip into the upper 80's. A team that takes him wouldn't be taking him for what he's done in high school (especially not this year, he was on a bad team though). They would be taking him for his body size and the stuff he ocassionally flashes.

A true project and I am not a fan of taking him.

Out of Beato or Perez who do you like.

Perez would be great in the pen for quick to the majors. I just dont like drafting guys who are already in the pen in college. Yes it worked out for Houston Street and Cordero a bit.

I am also a fan of the heavy sinker especially with our ballpark.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
Out of Beato or Perez who do you like.

Perez would be great in the pen for quick to the majors. I just dont like drafting guys who are already in the pen in college. Yes it worked out for Houston Street and Cordero a bit.

I am also a fan of the heavy sinker especially with our ballpark.

Its not even close, Beato. He is so much better talent wise than Tillman or Perez, but I have my doubts as to whether Beato will be there @ 29. If he is and we pass him for either of the two guys mentioned than I think it would be a mistake (obviously there could be other guys available that are better since who knows what will happen).

I merged the thread from the FutureSox forum into this one.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
To the Dodgers @ 7

Callis needs to update his mock. He thinks the Dodgers are "zeroing in" on Bryan Morris at #7, as they don't think he'll be there with their second pick in the first round.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 09:47 AM)
I don't know if this has been discussed, but Miller's people are trying to get him to slip to the Cubs, as they know they'll have tons of money to spend on him (they don't have a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round pick).

Ya, they want Miller to get major bucks and are really trying to push him to the Cubs.