Ozzie Lambasted Over Weekend. Do you Agree??

Hangar18

Radio shows over the weekend were buzzing with "hosts" labeling Ozzie as EVIL for his stance that Grimsley should just shut up and quit outing people. The morning hosts over at The Score (Sox flagship) spent the entire morning saying the Ozz should be condemning people for this behavior, and not defending them.

I didnt think Ozz was defending them, but he was made a Villain over the weekend, including Rick Morrisseys bogus column. Anyone agree with these people?

I think that they're missing Ozzie's point. He doesn't necessarily condone steroid use. The issue that he had was with teammates ratting each other out. Rifts like that can destroy a team's chemistry and affect their play adversely. Ozzie's job is to win baseball games, not to clean up the sport.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 11:13 AM)
Radio shows over the weekend were buzzing with "hosts" labeling Ozzie as EVIL for his stance that Grimsley should just shut up and quit outing people. The morning hosts over at The Score (Sox flagship) spent the entire morning saying the Ozz should be condemning people for this behavior, and not defending them.

I didnt think Ozz was defending them, but he was made a Villain over the weekend, including Rick Morrisseys bogus column. Anyone agree with these people?

Just another chapter in the vast conspiracy to keep the Sox down, eh Hangar?

:headshake

Maybe people "lambasted" him because most fans dislike the idea that players are using these drugs and enhancements. Just a thought.

I could see going off for Ozzie if he was defending Grimsley in any way shape or form or sitting there telling Grimsley not to out other players. However, if he thinks Grimsley is just throwing out random names, well that could be another thing.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 11:17 AM)
I think that they're missing Ozzie's point. He doesn't necessarily condone steroid use. The issue that he had was with teammates ratting each other out. Rifts like that can destroy a team's chemistry and affect their play adversely. Ozzie's job is to win baseball games, not to clean up the sport.

Agreed. I never took Ozzies anger with Jason Grimsley as Ozzie Defends Steroit Use, but the nimrods over the weekend tried to run with that the entire day. I KNOW ozzie doesnt condone that use,

why they chose to go that route, I have no idea .........

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
Ooh damn, Reyna puts it off the post.

LOL..I'm intentionally avoiding the World Cup thread because I'm going to watch the game when I get home from work. So I'm hanging around in the palehose side of the board and Jas manages to post something about the game. NICE :P

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 09:42 AM)
LOL..I'm intentionally avoiding the World Cup thread because I'm going to watch the game when I get home from work. So I'm hanging around in the palehose side of the board and Jas manages to post something about the game. NICE :P

LOL, I thought I was in that thread...I'll shut up. At least I didn't tell ya the score.

As usual, the difference in culture and backround get lost in translation. In a Latin culture, selling out someone close to you is a much bigger deal in a Catholic family oriented society. In many of the poor countries these people are looked at as a means of survival in a world that doesn't care about them. That same feeling is carried over to teammates, friends, etc for many Latinos.

I would have been shocked if Ozzie DIDN'T say something to be honest. This is par for the course for him.

My opinion of Ozzie talking about Grimsley is pretty simple. Why in the world is Ozzie even bothering to talk about Grimsley??? I'm aware that the media probably brought it up in a question to him but has he ever heard of 'No Comment' or 'Thats not my business' as a response to any situation?

IMO, Grimsley's statements are the best thing to happen to baseball in a while. I can't wait till congress steps in and forces them to test for HGH once a reliable test is available.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)
My opinion of Ozzie talking about Grimsley is pretty simple. Why in the world is Ozzie even bothering to talk about Grimsley??? I'm aware that the media probably brought it up in a question to him but has he ever heard of 'No Comment' or 'Thats not my business' as a response to any situation?

It would be a bit out of character for Ozzie to offer a "no comment", to say the least. :D

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 11:56 AM)
It would be a bit out of character for Ozzie to offer a "no comment", to say the least. :D

Yeah no kidding..sadly, thats about the only issue I have with Ozzie. The fact that he has to be in the center of a contreversy even when it doesn't even mildly concern him. Well and his use of the bullpen sometimes......... :ph34r:

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
He deserves every bit of s*** he gets. If you defend the users, you should be lambasted, and I don't give a damn who you are. I normally love Ozzie, but to defend the cheaters is inexcuseable and represents the entire organization in a bad way.

Ozzie WASNT DEFENDING THE USERS. The Radio people acted as if he did. All Ozzie said was Grimsley should shut his mouth, if he was using and just because hes caught now wants to tell on everyone else is his problem.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
so you think MLB should just allow steroid/hgh use?

People are enthralled by the long ball. The vast majority of the people crying about how they were 'cheated' by watching these overgrown men hit homers 500+ feet on a regular basis over 60 times in a season were the same people who casually kept the thought of steroids/cheating out of their mind from 1998 until the BALCO scandal.

People came to see huge line drives and home runs fly over their heads. They loved every second of it. It seems cheap and tawdry to decry it now, especially when they got so much enjoyment out of the HR's (not caring how the guy got the power to do it) Joe Q. Public sat back in relaxation watching men taking it to the extremes for bigger contracts + for the crowd's enjoyment but now we want to act like we were cheated by these steroid using players.

We encourage players to smash into walls, dive all over the place, run hard into bases etc. -- all at the hazard of their own body, yet we decry them using materials (that they know the risks and benefits of) that will also harm their own body in the name of them getting better financial security + hitting more home runs to make the game more exciting for the fans (to keep asses in the seats).

If fans didn't overvalue the home run, steroids would likely not be as much of a problem as it has become.

Mark McGwire put it best in an episode of the Simpsons when he said "Do you want to know the awful truth or do you want to see me swat some dingers?" America has wanted and still wants dingers...and they've shown that they really don't care how they get them.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
If fans didn't overvalue the home run, steroids would likely not be as much of a problem as it has become.

Mark McGwire put it best in an episode of the Simpsons when he said "Do you want to know the awful truth or do you want to see me swat some dingers?" America has wanted and still wants dingers...and they've shown that they really don't care how they get them.

I think I agree with this. I'm interested to note that an awful lot of fans (not here, just in general) don't seem to care as much about the pitching side of the game as they do about the hitting side. When the opposing team is at bat, the fans want outs, and they want them quickly, and there isn't much interest in the rythmn of the pitches, why this or that was thrown to a particular batter, etc. Lots of people assume that every ball (non-strike) was a mistake and that every pitcher means to throw 3 consecutive strikes to every batter. There's not much interest in how a catcher calls a game, either.

No doubt that watching the offensive half of the inning is more adrenaline-producing than watching the defensive half, but I think it's too bad that hitting is so much of the show.

Howard Bryant addressed this, and much more, in his excellent book "Juicing the Game." Great read.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4736039

Edited by henry wiggins

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)
Ozzie WASNT DEFENDING THE USERS. The Radio people acted as if he did. All Ozzie said was Grimsley should shut his mouth, if he was using and just because hes caught now wants to tell on everyone else is his problem.

Listening is a skill, and I guess you don't have it based on some of the things I've read.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)
Listening is a skill, and I guess you don't have it based on some of the things I've read.

What you READ, as opposed to what he SAID, are 2 different things. Why dont you listen to the soundbite ........... might be able to get a better read on this. As I was saying, Ozz is getting lambasted over this when, Grimsley should be the one raked over the coals. Ozzie didnt say He was PRO DRUG USE.

Media felt he shouldve taken an different step, and because he didnt, he must therefore be condoning the use.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
People are enthralled by the long ball. The vast majority of the people crying about how they were 'cheated' by watching these overgrown men hit homers 500+ feet on a regular basis over 60 times in a season were the same people who casually kept the thought of steroids/cheating out of their mind from 1998 until the BALCO scandal.

People came to see huge line drives and home runs fly over their heads. They loved every second of it. It seems cheap and tawdry to decry it now, especially when they got so much enjoyment out of the HR's (not caring how the guy got the power to do it) Joe Q. Public sat back in relaxation watching men taking it to the extremes for bigger contracts + for the crowd's enjoyment but now we want to act like we were cheated by these steroid using players.

We encourage players to smash into walls, dive all over the place, run hard into bases etc. -- all at the hazard of their own body, yet we decry them using materials (that they know the risks and benefits of) that will also harm their own body in the name of them getting better financial security + hitting more home runs to make the game more exciting for the fans (to keep asses in the seats).

i think most fans would rather see a game with the players clean. yea, some fans just want to see a bunch of homeruns, but i'm not so sure that they are in the majority of people at the park... well, maybe at wrigley they are.

also, judging by the reaction of fans towards known or suspected steroid cheats, they do care if players are cheating using roids or growth hormones.

Edited by mr_genius

The way I interpereted Ozzie's rant was that he thought Grimsley's outing of other players was a dick thing to do. While I'd prefer that Ozzie took a lighter stance on the situation (as the Sox higher ups seem to feel, according to this article), I'd be willing to bet that most people in the sport are pretty pissed at Grimsley, whether this incident ends up being good for baseball or not. IMO, there is a big difference between being a whistle blower and a douche bag who got caught and wanted others to suffer with him. I wouldn't think that other players and coaches are exactly pleased with this development. But since I obviously ain't in the clubhouse, I won't speculate any further.

Personally, if this plays any role in cleaning up baseball, I'm fine with it. But I also understand why Ozzie and others would be quite pissed at Grimsley. And I also don't see how his argument can be viewed as Ozzie being "Pro steroids".

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
What you READ, as opposed to what he SAID, are 2 different things. Why dont you listen to the soundbite ........... might be able to get a better read on this. As I was saying, Ozz is getting lambasted over this when, Grimsley should be the one raked over the coals. Ozzie didnt say He was PRO DRUG USE.

Media felt he shouldve taken an different step, and because he didnt, he must therefore be condoning the use.

I did listen. Ozzie did not say he was pro drug use, but what he did say was basically a rat and a bad guy for "ratting people out". Well how about I send two dozen feds to Ozzie's house, while he has HGH in it, have the feds offer to take it easy on him if he talks, and see how he reacts.

IT'S THE FEDS PEOPLE, you don't just "clam up" and "not snitch" when it's the f***ing feds.