Interleague Play

shoota

I'm not a fan of AL and NL teams adopting the other league's rules when they are the visitor. I propose that no matter which team is the home team during interleague play, the AL should keep its DH rule and the NL should keep its pitchers bat rule.

This rule change should apply in all regular season interleague games as well as all All-Star and World Series games.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
I'm not a fan of AL and NL teams adopting the other league's rules when they are the visitor. I propose that no matter which team is the home team during interleague play, the AL should keep its DH rule and the NL should keep its pitchers bat rule.

This rule change should apply in all regular season interleague games as well as all All-Star and World Series games.

so the AL teams would get an extra hitter and the pitchers for the NL would still have to bat?

nahh way to unfair

QUOTE(RX Bandits @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)
so the AL teams would get an extra hitter and the pitchers for the NL would still have to bat?

nahh way to unfair

Exactly.

You have got to be kidding me, that would give a total advantage to the american league. This ruls is fair as is, you just dont like the fact that both konerko and thome can play admit it. A rule is a rule bud.

This is a joke, right?

I think we should get rid of the DH. Without the DH people like Padilla would have to bat so he would think about not throwing at people because he might die when he is up to bat.

Edited by wsox08

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
You have got to be kidding me, that would give a total advantage to the american league. This ruls is fair as is, you just dont like the fact that both konerko and thome can play admit it. A rule is a rule bud.

Which is the basis for my proposal. The AL's rule is DH; the NL's rule is pitchers bat.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 10:52 AM)

I think that is extreme but I think you have a point. Under your scenario it would be very unfair to the NL, however under the current scenario it is pretty unfair to the AL. Think about it, when the NL has to use a DH, is that really a penalty? Granted, they don't plan in the offseason for a full-time guy at that spot, a la Thome, Papi or Big Hurt, but they definetely have a professional hitter to plug into the position. On the other hand, the AL pitchers NEVER get to bat, so when they are in NL parks it is much less fair to them, IMO, than it is for NL teams in AL parks.

Here's the bottom line: MLB needs to friggin standardize one way or the other. I happen to be pro DH, but if they decide pitchers hit all around, so be it. Do it one way or the other. Or, go back to no interleague play. It's ridiculous already to have two rules for 30-plus years.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 01:18 PM)
I think that is extreme but I think you have a point. Under your scenario it would be very unfair to the NL, however under the current scenario it is pretty unfair to the AL. Think about it, when the NL has to use a DH, is that really a penalty? Granted, they don't plan in the offseason for a full-time guy at that spot, a la Thome, Papi or Big Hurt, but they definetely have a professional hitter to plug into the position. On the other hand, the AL pitchers NEVER get to bat, so when they are in NL parks it is much less fair to them, IMO, than it is for NL teams in AL parks.

Here's the bottom line: MLB needs to friggin standardize one way or the other. I happen to be pro DH, but if they decide pitchers hit all around, so be it. Do it one way or the other. Or, go back to no interleague play. It's ridiculous already to have two rules for 30-plus years.

Most pitchers can't bat anyway... Just ban the DH so the leagues aren't unfair. Make everyone who is in the lineup play in the field.

I like it the way it is...and about Padilla, that's why Ozzie was so pissed off at Tracey. The pitchers don't bat, so you HAVE to hit someone on the other team. I'm not condoning bean ball...but I understand the point.

Union will never allow the DH to leave - because it costs "jobs" from teams, therefore cost-subsidzing other players' salaries which drops salary levels to a point where the pension plan is affected.

I wish I was making this up, but that was the theory a few years ago.

Edgar Matinez' career would have been over 8 years before he retired if the DH didn't exist. It helps players who totally suck at defense, are injury risks in the field or are just too damn old to play the field a way to prolong thier careers.

I hate watching National League baseball anyway, you see so many pitchers walk the 8th hitter in order to get out of a jam, in the AL there isn't usually that incredibly easy out in every lineup that pitchers can bank on. It deflates ERA's and and inflates strikeout numbers for pitchers.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 07:13 PM)
Edgar Matinez' career would have been over 8 years before he retired if the DH didn't exist. It helps players who totally suck at defense, are injury risks in the field or are just too damn old to play the field a way to prolong thier careers.

I hate watching National League baseball anyway, you see so many pitchers walk the 8th hitter in order to get out of a jam, in the AL there isn't usually that incredibly easy out in every lineup that pitchers can bank on. It deflates ERA's and and inflates strikeout numbers for pitchers.

Exactly, I hate the National League the same reasons as you do. All the time the 8th hitter is walked. It's just annoying.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 07:13 PM)

Paul Monitor wouldn't be in the Hall of Fame at all if it wasn't for the DH rule.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 06:14 PM)
I'd just like to see the DH gone from the game period.

No way, i am in favor of the whole league adopting the DH....if your going to take the DH away then pitchers should be able to hit like in the olden days. NL baseball is too boring

Dude, every thread from you is a gem! :lolhitting

Edited by RibbieRubarb