All-Star Selections Thread

aboz56

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
Did you see it on TV? Did you read it? Did you take it from another board?

A reporter on ABC said we have 7 and the Cubs have 1. He said "If I tell you anymore, I will be fired"

I would guess it is Thome, Konerko, Dye, Crede, Contreras, Buehrle, and Jenks. AJ and Gooch might be in there too replacing MB or Crede.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 06:32 PM)
My initial reation to that would be BULLs***. But I hope you are right.

Well...

Buehrle, Contreras, Thome, Dye, Konerko, Jenks and one other (probably Crede or AJP)

Most of those are deserving, I just find it hard to believe that Ozzie has that many players to pick.

Even though I would hate to be a fan of an opposing team and have one of my players not make the All-Star roster, it's not as if anyone can say those names are undeserving.

All seven deserve their spots. If people are criticizing Guillen for taking Pierzynski over Mauer (for example) it's easier to rationalize than Veritek over anyone.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 06:38 PM)
Even though I would hate to be a fan of an opposing team and have one of my players not make the All-Star roster, it's not as if anyone can say none of those names are undeserving.

All seven deserve their places. If people are criticizing Guillen for taking Pierzynski over Mauer (for example) it's easier to rationalize than Veritek over anyone.

AJ's having a great year, but Mauer's been the best catcher in baseball, hands down. How in the world could you rationalize AJ over a guy flirting with .400 and leading all catchers in slugging? (With excellent defense, btw.)

Edit: Okay, I do realize you said 'easier...than Varitek...' But that's like saying it's easier to justify making Star Jones the new Miss America over Roseanne Barr. Not saying much.

Edited by jackie hayes

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 05:43 PM)
AJ's having a great year, but Mauer's been the best catcher in baseball, hands down. How in the world could you rationalize AJ over a guy flirting with .400 and leading all catchers in slugging? (With excellent defense, btw.)

I'll never watch another all-star game again if Mauer is not there.

Why did this get moved back? This thread is called All-Star selections thread, not just specifically White Sox, so I made a new thread. Whoever thinks that seven White Sox players making the All-Star game doesn't deserve it's own thread is on f***ing crack.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 05:43 PM)

Believe me, I wouldn't select Pierzynski over Mauer either. I'm merely suggesting it's easier to understand selecting Pierzynski because atleast he's put up All- Star caliber numbers. Not to mention Guillen will be more willing to select one of his own. Mauer's numbers are obviously all-star and then some. In past years, players have been selected -- most noteably from the Yankees -- who aren't even deserving of a spot.

We act as if Guillen does anything conventional. Did you watch this afternoon's game? Wouldn't it be pure Ozzie to do exactly the opposite of what's expected?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 06:50 PM)
Believe me, I wouldn't select Pierzynski over Mauer either. I'm merely suggesting it's easier to understand selecting Pierzynski because atleast he's put up All- Star caliber numbers. Not to mention Guillen will be more willing to select one of his own. Mauer's numbers are obviously all-star and then some. In past years, players have been selected -- most noteably from the Yankees -- who aren't even deserving of a spot.

We act as if Guillen does anything conventional. Did you watch this afternoon's game? Wouldn't it be pure Ozzie to do exactly the opposite of what's expected?

It's just too much. It's disrespectful of everyone who plays the game to snub someone so badly. I admit that I'm no expert on the psychology of MLB, but I just think that would create a lot of bad will towards the Sox around the AL.

I mean if (God forbid :) ) we don't reach the WS every year, I wouldn't be surprised to see our players snubbed for many years. Not that the ASG is a bastion of integrity, but snubbing Mauer would make it a complete joke all over again.