All-Star Selections Thread

aboz56

All-Stars will be announced tonight.

Among the Sox with a legitimate chance to be selected: Joe Crede, Tadahito Iguchi, Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko, Jim Thome, A.J. Pierzynski, Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras and Bobby Jenks.

Refer to this thread to discuss your thoughts of who should/should not have been selected as well as anything else related to the game.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like AJ, but he doesn't deserve to be an All-Star, especially with all the depth at catcher this year. I doubt Crede will make it, simply because A-Rod is a lock and both Glaus and Lowell have been having great years. Paulie, Thome, and Dye better make it, and MB, Count and Jenks likely will as well. If most of those 6, or all of them preferably, make it, I'd be happy.

IMO it will be Contreras, Jenks, Buerhle, Iguchi and Dye

and it will be a crying shame if either Konerko or Thome doesnt go. It will also be a shame if Crede doesnt go. But I understand that every team needs 1 representative and not everyone can go.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 09:14 AM)
I like AJ, but he doesn't deserve to be an All-Star, especially with all the depth at catcher this year. I doubt Crede will make it, simply because A-Rod is a lock and both Glaus and Lowell have been having great years. Paulie, Thome, and Dye better make it, and MB, Count and Jenks likely will as well. If most of those 6, or all of them preferably, make it, I'd be happy.

Crede has more homers, rbi, better slugging percentage, and more runs scored than Lowell. A .252 batting average isn't helping Glaus's odds either. Crede WILL make the team.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 11:08 AM)
Crede has more homers, rbi, better slugging percentage, and more runs scored than Lowell. A .252 batting average isn't helping Glaus's odds either. Crede WILL make the team.

Regardless of his average, Glaus is having a better year than Crede offensively and is easily more deserving. Crede is better with the glove than Glaus, but that doesn't make up for the offensive difference. Lowell and Crede are having similar years, and I don't think there is room for the roster to carry 3 third basemen.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 11:14 AM)
Regardless of his average, Glaus is having a better year than Crede offensively and is easily more deserving. Crede is better with the glove than Glaus, but that doesn't make up for the offensive difference. Lowell and Crede are having similar years, and I don't think there is room for the roster to carry 3 third basemen.

So where is Glaus doing that much better than Crede offensively where it makes him more deserving?

HRs and BBs are the only thing I see. Glaus also has as many Ks as hits and he is the anti-Crede in terms of Clutchness:

Glaus .219 RISP, Bases Loaded .125

Crede .351 RISP, Bases Loaded .462

Crede .302 BA, .336 OBP, .524 SLG, .859 OPS, 83 Hits, 16 2B, 15 HR, 55 RBI, 46 R, 14 BB, 26 Ks

Glaus .252 BA, .350 OBP, .542 SLG, .892 OPS, 72 Hits, 17 2B, 22 HR, 57 RBI, 57 R, 43 BB, 72 Ks

Also consider where they bat, Glaus 4th, Crede 6th; Glaus is going to get a lot more opportunities to drive in runs and score.

The only things I see in Glaus' favor is HRs and BBs. To me that is not enough to warrant his selection over Crede.

QUOTE(letsgoarow @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 12:19 PM)
dont forget that Ozzie gets to pick the teams..... i honestly would not be shocked if we get 8 or 9.... he allready said that he would take a sox player over anyone else if its close

He only got about 4 of his own picks.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 01:04 PM)
There sarcasm there or are you serious?

Actually add Dye to that, I really think Ozzie will take Buehrle, Contreras and Dye are pretty much locks and Guillen will also get the fat man in there. I see Thome and Ryan Howard as super snubs this year.

Contreras, Dye, Buehrle and Jenks.

Anyway, I'll be out all day and probably night too so I'll miss all the fun with the Selection Show this year so I expect someone to hold me to this.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)
Thats fair, I just cant believe that we have the best 3-4-5 in the league, and NONE of them go.

I could see the 4 of them going.

Well, out of the 3-4-5 Dye will be going, for whatever reaon he slipped my mind. There's just such a clusterf*** at 1B/DH this year that I don't see either of Thome or Konerko getting in despite the fact that they totally deserve it.

I'll be more upset if Ryan Howard doesn't get in though, I see his youth totally f***ing him here and Garner going with a more seasoned 1B over him.

The MLB Store jumped the gun. You can buy Ameican League jerseys for the all star game for:

CANO

GUERRERO

HALLADAY

ICHIRO

JETER

KAZMIR

MAUER

MUSSINA

NATHAN

ORTIZ

PAPELBON

RAMIREZ

RIVERA

RODRIGUEZ

ROGERS

RYAN

SANTANA

SCHILLING

SIZEMORE

TEJADA

THOME

VARITEK

WELLS

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2405399&cp=2280850&parentPage=family ://http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.j...entPage=family ://http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.j...entPage=family

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 10:05 AM)
IMO it will be Contreras, Jenks, Buerhle, Iguchi and Dye

and it will be a crying shame if either Konerko or Thome doesnt go. It will also be a shame if Crede doesnt go. But I understand that every team needs 1 representative and not everyone can go.

Who the hell is that in your avatar? Good lord!