Official Soccer Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 02:00 PM)
Saturday's game wasn't sold out, there were open areas in the corners of the upper deck, announced attendance was 55k, which is about 6k less than capacity, so tickets were available to anyone who wanted to go. With the crowd being at least 75% pro-Honduras, that means there were less than 15,000 USA fans, which is pretty low for a city the size of Chicago.

Get out, there's no way Honduras had 40k there.

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 01:22 PM)
Cristiano Ronaldo will be leaving Man U for Real Madrid.

A record 80 million offer was accepted and deal should be finalized by end of June per Goal.com

stupid real madrid :( time for a ronaldo madrid jersey i guess then lol :)

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)
Confederations Cup starts tomorrow. I'm excited that ESPN is showing the games. It will give me some entertainment. Who else will be watching/paying attention?

I'll watch. The US really got screwed in being placed with Brazil, Italy and Egypt.

The other group has New Zealand, South Africa and Iraq (and a 4th who I forget)...talk about talent differential.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 07:02 PM)
I'll watch. The US really got screwed in being placed with Brazil, Italy and Egypt.

The other group has New Zealand, South Africa and Iraq (and a 4th who I forget)...talk about talent differential.

I strongly believe the other pool is so much weaker in hopes that South Africa can qualify for the semis.

Hopefully we can get a point vs Italy. 4 points and I would consider this a success. Making it to the semis then we had a great tournament. I'm just hoping we put together a good showing so we have something to build on come 2010.

So neither South Africa or Iraq looked any good today, although S. Africa was clearly the better team. New Zealand was also just awful. I know Spain is freaking loaded right now, but I expected a little better of a match. If Spain tried in the second half that score could have been 8 or 9 to nothing.

Also, apparently Brazil is leaving Ronaldinho and a couple others home for this tournament. Strange. Maybe the U.S. could eek out a win or draw in the tourney. If they can get 1 pt from Italy/Brazil and beat Egypt they could potentially advance to the semis, which should be considered an accomplishment.

The first 25 minutes of the Spain/NZL game was entertaining as hell. Friendly or not, I cant believe Italy allowed 3 goals to that New Zealand team.

South Africa and FIFA has to be disappointed in the SA/Iraq game. I'm sure South Africa will still advance but they couldve basically wrapped up 2nd place today with a win.

I wonder what the crowds are going to be like for tomorrow's matches.

Wow! What a game between Egypt and Brazil.

And what a way to win it at the end. A handball in the box gives Brazil a PK and Kaka converts to give Brazil a 4-3 victory! I read this was the first time Brazil had ever given up three goals with Dunga at the helm.

Shame, if this ended in a draw the door for the US really would have opened up.

US up 1-0 on Italy early 2nd half. Ricardo Clark got sent off in the 33rd minute. It was a straight red on a questionable call. It was certainly a yellow, I've seen worse called a red before. Lalas was pissed, but he's so biased it's ridiculous.

Jozy had a sick cutback to earn a PK and Donovan put it away. Looks like 40+ minutes of bunkering down for the US. I'm thinking they get a draw, which would be a good result.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
Replacing Altidore with Davies? Really? Where is Kljestan?

I like Davies a lot, but with 10 men it's odd because the best way to get forward is to lob it in and Davies isn't big enough to win those balls.

That De Rossi strike was Godly. What was that, 40 yards out?

3-1 final. US looked tired at the end there. Don't understand some of the substitutions/starting line up. After watching Brazil this morning, and now Italy, I don't really see a team in this tournament that can expose Spain's defense. Brazil definitely looks on the decline despite some great young players like Kaka and Pato.

Edited by Nixon