Official "Squared Circle" Thread

Guest $I Need Money$

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
You mean to tell me that you're not marking for the expert dancing skills of Kelly?

They pretty much killed ECW (if it wasn't already dead) yesterday by jobbing Little Guido, Al Snow and RVD...in Philadelphia...with an already hostile crowd. The only bright spot of the show was the CM Punk promo that aired. But I have confidence that Punk will be jobbing left, right and sideways if Vince, Steph and the other politicos have their stance since he has too much of an "indy style" rather than the WWE 5 Moves of Doom.

I thought the same exact thing...how long we givin this thing before WWECW is done alogether and Punk is on Smackdown never to be seen again

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 06:45 PM)
I thought the same exact thing...how long we givin this thing before WWECW is done alogether and Punk is on Smackdown never to be seen again

That wouldn't be a horrible thing. He'd at least get some decent opponents for good matches if he was on SD!

I'm going to the ECW show in Racine this Saturday and think I'm going to be very, very dissapointed... especially since I was just at ROH a week or so ago. Watching Punk live for the first time in a very long time is the only thing that has me excited at this point.

QUOTE(T R U @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 10:42 PM)
ECW is coming to my college in about 2 weeks and im gonna be real bummed that I missed RVD :(

They are just of north of me in Racine this weekend and it's sold out. Glad I didn't get tix since no RVD.

I don't think anyone thought this was gonna belike the old ECW. The could make some adjustments and make it close, but ECW has great shock value that WCW and WWF didn't have. I used to love reading on the internet the day after an ECW Arena show and having my jaw drop when Pillman showed up and Rude under a mask. Great stuff.

From PWInsider:

It's been said that Rob Van Dam and Sabu are taking their punishments very well. They are not complaining at all since they know it's their fault. Neither man will be fired over the incident. After this month, all parties will be moving forward as if it never happened.

Rob Van Dam will be gone for 30 days, however, he's in line for a huge push when he returns next month. Also, Sabu's push will continue and it doesn't appear that he will be suspended. Vince McMahon likes Sabu so much that it appears as though that he doesn't have anything to worry about in terms of getting fired or being de-pushed. McMahon loves his old-school wildman character, as well as his in-ring work.

And also per WWE.com, Kurt Angle got suspended for 30 days. I'm assuming that this is just kayfabe to give him some time off to recover from his multitude of injuries he's got. Any news on the slim chance it isn't kayfabe for the suspension?

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 12:48 AM)
From PWInsider:

It's been said that Rob Van Dam and Sabu are taking their punishments very well. They are not complaining at all since they know it's their fault. Neither man will be fired over the incident. After this month, all parties will be moving forward as if it never happened.

Rob Van Dam will be gone for 30 days, however, he's in line for a huge push when he returns next month. Also, Sabu's push will continue and it doesn't appear that he will be suspended. Vince McMahon likes Sabu so much that it appears as though that he doesn't have anything to worry about in terms of getting fired or being de-pushed. McMahon loves his old-school wildman character, as well as his in-ring work.

And also per WWE.com, Kurt Angle got suspended for 30 days. I'm assuming that this is just kayfabe to give him some time off to recover from his multitude of injuries he's got. Any news on the slim chance it isn't kayfabe for the suspension?

Per WrestleZone.com

- Kurt Angle is currently taking time off due to personal reasons. Although, Dave Scherer reports that he is currently serving a suspension as well. Angle is on a 30 day suspension. The reason for his suspension has yet to be disclosed.

Considering that Rob Van Dam is serving a 30 day suspension of his own, the reason Kurt Angle didn't suddenly come back when he's really needed was because he is "officially suspended."

No RVD, No Angle when ECW comes here... :angry:

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 10:46 PM)
They are just of north of me in Racine this weekend and it's sold out. Glad I didn't get tix since no RVD.

I don't think anyone thought this was gonna belike the old ECW. The could make some adjustments and make it close, but ECW has great shock value that WCW and WWF didn't have. I used to love reading on the internet the day after an ECW Arena show and having my jaw drop when Pillman showed up and Rude under a mask. Great stuff.

Exactly. Is it so much to ask that Kelly be piledriven through a table off the ring apron? Seems she's being pretty loud backstage. Kelly has been very vocal about not wanting to return to Ohio Valley Wrestling. She's appeared on the last few OVW television shows. Apparently, the OVW fans annoy her when they ask her what it's like to be on the main roster now. Also, Kelly isn't particularly fond of the amount of attention she gets down in the area.

Awww, poor Mr. McMahon Generic Wank Fodder v. 23 doesn't like OVW. Well, then I say don't send her to OVW. Send her to a strip club to learn even the most basic and elementary striptease moves because she f***ing sucks.

It didn't have to be the old ECW with the same stars but they should have let Heyman/Dreamer control the book. At least that way it'd be moderately entertaining than the Test/hoss steamrollings. The old ECW booking was so awesome and addictive.

And Critic -- we gotta add something to the warning...We forgot Kevin "Vampire moth attracted to the stadium lights" Fertig in there that shows up every damn week. And also the Sandman caning some lame ass gimmick wasting yet more time of the show.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 01:00 AM)
Exactly. Is it so much to ask that Kelly be piledriven through a table off the ring apron? Seems she's being pretty loud backstage. Kelly has been very vocal about not wanting to return to Ohio Valley Wrestling. She's appeared on the last few OVW television shows. Apparently, the OVW fans annoy her when they ask her what it's like to be on the main roster now. Also, Kelly isn't particularly fond of the amount of attention she gets down in the area.

Awww, poor Mr. McMahon Generic Wank Fodder v. 23 doesn't like OVW. Well, then I say don't send her to OVW. Send her to a strip club to learn even the most basic and elementary striptease moves because she f***ing sucks.

It didn't have to be the old ECW with the same stars but they should have let Heyman/Dreamer control the book. At least that way it'd be moderately entertaining than the Test/hoss steamrollings. The old ECW booking was so awesome and addictive.

And Critic -- we gotta add something to the warning...We forgot Kevin "Vampire moth attracted to the stadium lights" Fertig in there that shows up every damn week. And also the Sandman caning some lame ass gimmick wasting yet more time of the show.

Speaking of the warning, has anyone else noticed that every ECW show has had the same format...Sabu opens up the show, commercial break, Sandman canes someone stupid, commercial break, Big Show squash, commercial break, Kelly Striptease/Mike Knox v. jobber, commercial break, main event.

All that I ask is to change it up a lil...is that too much to ask? :huh

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 01:37 AM)
Speaking of the warning, has anyone else noticed that every ECW show has had the same format...Sabu opens up the show, commercial break, Sandman canes someone stupid, commercial break, Big Show squash, commercial break, Kelly Striptease/Mike Knox v. jobber, commercial break, main event.

All that I ask is to change it up a lil...is that too much to ask? :huh

They did lead off that pantload of a Philly show with the piss break/food break "Kelly's Expose". As WrestleCrap Radio and Blade Braxton said in his weekly poetry session: "Kelly's Expose. The only thing that's been is exposed is that Mr. John Laurinaitis sucks as a talent scout."

But you're right it's always the same damn format of matches (Show squash, Sandman caning one of the Baldies who we're not supposed to remember, Mike Knox/Kelly, main event)

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 01:00 AM)

Maybe we can just sum it up with this warning before the show:

"WARNING:

The following program is REALLY gonna f***ing suck.

Any similarities between this WWECW product and the ECW programming you fondly remember is purely and totally accidental, and is probably the result of some Paul Heyman booking slipping through the McMahon Family Entertainment Prevention Filter.

Blame for the vampires, psychics, and zombies can be directly placed on the Sci-Fi Channel, while blame for the weak-ass stripper and the hosses can be placed squarely on the "enhanced" shoulders of Vincent Kennedy McMahon.

Thank you, and enjoy the following gag-fest."

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 06:44 AM)
Maybe we can just sum it up with this warning before the show:

"WARNING:

The following program is REALLY gonna f***ing suck.

Any similarities between this WWECW product and the ECW programming you fondly remember is purely and totally accidental, and is probably the result of some Paul Heyman booking slipping through the McMahon Family Entertainment Prevention Filter.

Blame for the vampires, psychics, and zombies can be directly placed on the Sci-Fi Channel, while blame for the weak-ass stripper and the hosses can be placed squarely on the "enhanced" shoulders of Vincent Kennedy McMahon.

Thank you, and enjoy the following gag-fest."

And we've got a new logo too

ecwwe7fb4yx.jpg

Wow, people still can't get over the fact that larger wrestlers draw more? Back when I was big into wrestling and would go on the message boards, people would always push for Benoit or the other smaller more technical wrestlers to be champions. Well when they would get the belt, there would be no reaction. I remember hearing crickets when Benoit would come down the aisle. It's a shame, because he's a great wrestler. But the reality of the situation is big guys draw. The crappiest wrestlers draw. It annoys me so much when the internet wrestling community always wants your Paul London's, Chris Benoit's, Rey Mysterio, etc. to be pushed. For as long as pro wrestling has been around, the main guys haven't been the greatest wrestlers (with a few exceptions). Hulk Hogan? The Rock? Triple H? Andre the Giant? Foley? Some of the worst, yet most successful, wrestlers of all time. It's sports entertainment. It's acting. It's about personality.

Another thing. People who hate everyone who becomes popular. Cena is very entertaining to watch, but all the internet fans hate him.

The internet ruined wrestling for me. It sucked the fun right out of it.

Rant over. :cheers

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)
Wow, people still can't get over the fact that larger wrestlers draw more? Back when I was big into wrestling and would go on the message boards, people would always push for Benoit or the other smaller more technical wrestlers to be champions. Well when they would get the belt, there would be no reaction. I remember hearing crickets when Benoit would come down the aisle. It's a shame, because he's a great wrestler. But the reality of the situation is big guys draw. The crappiest wrestlers draw. It annoys me so much when the internet wrestling community always wants your Paul London's, Chris Benoit's, Rey Mysterio, etc. to be pushed. For as long as pro wrestling has been around, the main guys haven't been the greatest wrestlers (with a few exceptions). Hulk Hogan? The Rock? Triple H? Andre the Giant? Foley? Some of the worst, yet most successful, wrestlers of all time. It's sports entertainment. It's acting. It's about personality.

Another thing. People who hate everyone who becomes popular. Cena is very entertaining to watch, but all the internet fans hate him.

The internet ruined wrestling for me. It sucked the fun right out of it.

Rant over. :cheers

You make a solid point, but for the sake of counterpoint I will say that for every Hulk Hogan you usually have 10 guys like Albert, Giant Gonzalez, the Great Khali, Dave Batista, Test, and so on.

Guys who have zero personality and can't lead anyone to a watchable match.

I'd say the percentage is about the same with the littler guys, too, but the fact is (as you pointed out as well) that the "hosses" seem to draw better than the smaller guys.

As for Benoit, I always enjoyed his work, because he was able to make his matches seem more "real" than a lot of other guys.

Quick opinions: Paul London is unwatchable, Cena is average at best, and Rey Mysterio is good in small doses.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
And we've got a new logo too

ecwwe7fb4yx.jpg

Now THAT's funny!!!

:lolhitting :lol:

I absoloutley hate John Cena, and so do most fans..

Plenty of times he has been heavily boo'ed as the Champ.. For instance the crowd went nuts at New Years Revoloution when Edge cashed in on the Money in the Bank and beat him for the title

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)
Another thing. People who hate everyone who becomes popular.

ehh...i wouldnt say that...just when the said person becomes boring

I liked Cena's character especially around the time he was the U.S. champ on smackdown...i dont think he ever learned how to keep his character fresh like rock, stone cold, dx, hbk, bret hart...etc. because the heat that Cena gets isn't heel heat, it's i hate this guy and wish he'd disappear from the eath heat (i.e. fan reaction after RVD losin title on tuesday)

Edited by MHizzle85

In related news...

Randy Orton tested positive for steroids, failed WWE's wellness program, and was caught with 8 bottles of painkillers in his dressing room..

Dunno what they are gonna do about it because he is schedule to fight Hogan at SummerSlam and suspending him now would throw off a major storyline.. but something is gonna have to happen

Please dont fire Orton :pray

QUOTE(T R U @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 10:55 PM)
In related news...

Randy Orton tested positive for steroids, failed WWE's wellness program, and was caught with 8 bottles of painkillers in his dressing room..

Dunno what they are gonna do about it because he is schedule to fight Hogan at SummerSlam and suspending him now would throw off a major storyline.. but something is gonna have to happen

this'll show if the WWE is serious or not...if he doesn't get punished, then all hell should break loose

From what I've been reading, ratings have been going up lately. But from what I've seen, the WWE is putting out more crap than they have been in the last few years. Since I usually only catch Raw, DX is the only thing I look forward to. On the rare times I catch Smackdown, that Lashley guy looks like he has a future. But overall, I feel like I'm back in 1990. Hacksaw Jim Duggan? Doink? Kamala? Tatanka? Lame gimmicks like the Boogeyman, Umaga, Little Bastard, the Highlanders (who I'll admit I enjoyed), The Great Khali, etc. In a down time for professional wrestling, you need to make a big splash. DX is a good start, but it's all been done before! In my opinion, DX needs to get a bunch of new wrestlers and create a superforce in the WWE to take on ECW. But that brings up my next point, ECW COULD of been good, but Vince decided to take all power away from Heyman therefore making ECW the "C" show for the WWE (with Smackdown being "B"). What's next, Nash and Hall show up and attack DX in the middle of the ring, Hogan comes down to save DX, and proceeds to turn on them and create a New World Order of wrestling with Hall and Nash?!?! Vince McMahon really frustrates me sometimes.

But back to what I was saying, hosses draw. There are a lot of duds out there, but for the most part your Batista's, Lesnar's, Lashley's, they are the guys that are going to draw. Lesnar was a big reason I kept watching wrestling a few years ago...but I don't know if he's ever going to come back. From what I've read, and from the little I've seen, Lashley's got a shot at becoming a star.

The biggest exception to the hoss rule would have to be Shawn Michaels. He could hang with anyone. His matches were great to watch because they really told a story, and he would just lay his body on the line. Big or small, it didn't matter. It's a shame he's getting on in years, as he's been one of my favorite wrestlers to watch for a long time. Are there any WWE produced Shawn Michaels DVDs out there? I might have to pick one up.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 11:12 PM)
this'll show if the WWE is serious or not...if he doesn't get punished, then all hell should break loose

In true Vince McMahon double-standard fashion, Orton's not getting suspended.

He has to have some sort of "handler" trail him for the time being, but Vince kissed Hulk Hogan's ass and didn't suspend Orton.

Y'know, because that Orton/Hogan angle where Randy lusts after an 18-year-old girl and her Daddy comes to her rescue in a pathetic attempt to prop up that tone-deaf dope's manufactured recording career MUST come first.

:puke x 1000

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 11:57 AM)
In true Vince McMahon double-standard fashion, Orton's not getting suspended.

He has to have some sort of "handler" trail him for the time being, but Vince kissed Hulk Hogan's ass and didn't suspend Orton.

Y'know, because that Orton/Hogan angle where Randy lusts after an 18-year-old girl and her Daddy comes to her rescue in a pathetic attempt to prop up that tone-deaf dope's manufactured recording career MUST come first.

:puke x 1000

well when i heard about this angle, i thought it had the chance to be something entertaining, but once i heard hogan has full creative control over his angles and matches...i dont even have to waste my money on the ppv or the disk space for the torrent.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 12:27 PM)
well when i heard about this angle, i thought it had the chance to be something entertaining, but once i heard hogan has full creative control over his angles and matches...i dont even have to waste my money on the ppv or the disk space for the torrent.

Yeah, the "full creative control" thing prevents Hogan from ever being entertaining.

QUOTE(T R U @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 10:55 PM)
In related news...

Just read that the story may be BS. I hope so.

I don't see how WWE can be so strict about these painkillers. I understand they are bad, yada yada yada, but what do you expect these guys to do when they have to put on matches 4 or 5 nights a week. It takes a toll on you.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)
Just read that the story may be BS. I hope so.

I don't see how WWE can be so strict about these painkillers. I understand they are bad, yada yada yada, but what do you expect these guys to do when they have to put on matches 4 or 5 nights a week. It takes a toll on you.

Just saw this on Wrestlezone

"A rumor going around certain websites suggesting Randy Orton was caught violating the WWE Wellness Policy is wholly without merit.

While Orton did participate in a number of incidents prior to his suspension, none were drug-related in the sense conveyed in the inaccurate rumor, and nothing bad has taken place since Orton returned to the road.

The rumors were attributed to the Wrestling-Observer Newsletter, which never printed such a story."

Edited by T R U