Buehrle

aboz56

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 07:44 PM)
In picking the players that I like, yes personal prejudice is what matters. I don't like Buehrle, I love the White Sox. I like Vazquez. Is that so wrong?

And btw, I think all stats are worthless in baseball. ERA, ERA+, RBI, ect. It was beat like a dead horse last year, but wins is the only thing that matters. Baseball is a game where the slightest change in the path of a ball, the speed of the ball, the hand eye cordination of the batter, and so on can change everything.

:P :P :P Ahaha, I love how ignorant some people can be. It makes me all fuzzy inside, knowing some people are just that stupid.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buehrle himself blames the Questec strike zone computer they installed at the Cell this year. It prevents the umps from giving the edge pitches as strikes, according to Mark.

Of course, his worst performances have been on the road, haven't they? Today, and at Wrigley. Was the 7-run outing against the Twins at home?

All the Sox starters need to adjust, and do so quickly. Only Contreras really has overpowering stuff.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 07:44 PM)
And btw, I think all stats are worthless in baseball. ERA, ERA+, RBI, ect. It was beat like a dead horse last year, but wins is the only thing that matters. Baseball is a game where the slightest change in the path of a ball, the speed of the ball, the hand eye cordination of the batter, and so on can change everything.

good lord.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 07:50 PM)
So what were the determining factors when you decided you dislike Buehlre but like Vazquez? Just curious.

looks obviously

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 07:53 PM)
:P :P :P Ahaha, I love how ignorant some people can be. It makes me all fuzzy inside, knowing some people are just that stupid.

Ok? Was that necessary?

Arguing with people on the internet is like being in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still retarded in the end.

Oh and thanks for all the warm greetings on my birthday fellas.

This is perplexing. All of you on here base your opinion on players solely on their statistics and nothing else?

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 08:03 PM)
This is perplexing. All of you on here base your opinion on players solely on their statistics and nothing else?

No one ever said that, there's a lot of factors that are taken into consideration when evaluating players, stats just happen to be one of them.

If you just completely swear off all stats, you're doing yourself a great disservice. Even Mr. Intangibles himself Joe Morgan checks out a players stats every once in awhile.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 08:05 PM)
Who said that?

I guess the better question what do YOU base your opinions on?

Instincts and whatever the hell else is inside me that bases my opinions on things. You guys on here are ridiculus for jumping all over me ONCE AGAIN just because of my opinion on a starter with 4.43 ERA who is our "ace".

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 06:03 PM)
Ok? Was that necessary?

Arguing with people on the internet is like being in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still retarded in the end.

Oh and thanks for all the warm greetings on my birthday fellas.

I'd buy you a drink, but apparently you're not of legal age yet.

Nope. I also base them on their demeanor, how well they play under pressure, and how they treat the fans.

I'll admit that Buehrle has very mediocre stuff and, frankly, I don't think he's very bright either. But he's a nice guy, a hell of a teammate, and has been one of the better pitchers in the league over the past five seasons. To say that he's "not that good" just because you don't like him for whatever reason is stupid. I don't like Barry Bonds, but I'll never say that he's "not that good."

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 08:07 PM)
No one ever said that, there's a lot of factors that are taken into consideration when evaluating players, stats just happen to be one of them.

If you just completely swear off all stats, you're doing yourself a great disservice. Even Mr. Intangibles himself Joe Morgan checks out a players stats every once in awhile.

I don't disregard stats. I look at them, but just the basic stats. Baseball isn't my life and I'm not going to study all the different stats to determine who is good and who isn't. That's the reason why I suck at fantasy baseball, I pick the players that I like, not the ones who have the best stats.

Joe Morgan better check out stats because it is his job as an announcer.

Anyone's who watched Buehrle for the past few seasons should know he's goes through a point through a season usually for about a month (about 4 to 5 starts) where he just really, really struggles, giving up a lot of runs and a lot of hits.

We've just got to hope this is the same thing repeating itself all over again, and that Mark can bounce back.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 08:10 PM)
I'll admit that Buehrle has very mediocre stuff and, frankly, I don't think he's very bright either. But he's a nice guy, a hell of a teammate, and has been one of the better pitchers in the league over the past five seasons. To say that he's "not that good" just because you don't like him for whatever reason is stupid. I don't like Barry Bonds, but I'll never say that he's "not that good."

In this thread Barry Bonds has been compared to Scott Podsednik and Mark Buehrle, yet I'm the stupid one.

How do I know what kind of teammate MB is? Do you even know for sure? I don't know how bright Buehrle is, but apparently not very because ever since his start in Seattle basically every team has knocked him around, not necessarily by scoring a bunch of runs everytime, but getting many hits.

"Not that good." Maybe I need to clarify for you guys, not THAT good. That is the key word. I was referring to how good he is made out to be by White Sox fans. It wasn't a random statement.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 08:11 PM)
No one is jumping all over you. However, I trust you dont watch all 30 teams on a regular basis, correct?

So how do you determine your feelings on players outside of the greater Chicago area?

BTW, you claim people jump all over you on a regular basis. Is it possible it happens so often because of views might skewed?

Are you trying to say my views are skewed? You didn't word it right if that is what you are trying to say. And if that is what you are trying to say I am shocked. Shouldn't a moderator know that everyone has different views and others might not have the same views as you? I believe I am jumped all over because of a moderator who can't forgive and forget.

And the answer to your question was already answered in my previous post. I see some players in the media and the same goes for them. They don't have to play for the White Sox for my body to make an opinion on.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 06:18 PM)
In this thread Barry Bonds has been compared to Scott Podsednik and Mark Buehrle, yet I'm the stupid one.

I never called you stupid, but you're doing a great job of not understanding other people's points.

How do I know what kind of teammate MB is? Do you even know for sure?

Well, even the casual observer would've noticed him hugging Jenks after he blew the save in Game 2 of the WS. The casual fan also may have heard Ozzie praise Mark for his leadership qualities on several occasions.

They don't have to play for the White Sox for my body to make an opinion on.

WTF is that supposed to mean? :huh:

witesoxin', I agree about Buehrle being hugely overrated by Sox fans and always have.

I disagree where you say the only stat that matters though is wins. It does matter in the grand scheme of things, but if you're looking at individual players when building a team, you need to look at stats.

Again, this team needs power pitchers. When you don't have them and you don't have pinpoint control, you get Mark Buehrled!

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 06:11 PM)
Anyone's who watched Buehrle for the past few seasons should know he's goes through a point through a season usually for about a month (about 4 to 5 starts) where he just really, really struggles, giving up a lot of runs and a lot of hits.

We've just got to hope this is the same thing repeating itself all over again, and that Mark can bounce back.

that's what I was thinking. didn't he have a big loss of confidence during one stretch last year?

whatever. I still believe that this pitching staff will get hot as a staff and get the necessary mojo back to compete for the division title. I could be wrong but it's what I believe.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 01:18 AM)
Are you trying to say my views are skewed? You didn't word it right if that is what you are trying to say. And if that is what you are trying to say I am shocked. Shouldn't a moderator know that everyone has different views and others might not have the same views as you? I believe I am jumped all over because of a moderator who can't forgive and forget.

You said this --

He's never been that great IMO. Obviously he is not going to pitch this awful all year, but I would be suprised if his ERA dipped below 4 the rest of the season. IMO Buehrle is very over rated by White Sox fans.

-- on a White Sox fan message board.

Kalapse presented facts that Mark Buehrle has been up there with one of the top pitchers of the past five years in Roy Halladay, to which you replied, "I don't like stats, I go by instinct". And then you admittedly said your not very good at fantasy baseball because you go by "instinct" rather than stats.

No one is trying to defend Buehrle's performance this season. Nobody at all.

But again -- you called Buehrle overrated. Over his career, he's averaged 225 innings of a 3.63 ERA (in the AL, in one of the best hitters parks in baseball). If Buehrle has been overrated the past five years, then this staff needs a lot more "overrated" pitchers, or we're in trouble.

The 3rd and 4th innings of yesterday's game were microcosms of his recent struggles. I think he only had 7 pitches in the 4th, and in those 7 pitches the Yankees got a single, bunt single, fielder's choice, a double, and another single. It definitely seemed to me that the Yankees had a strategy vs Buehrle, and it worked perfect. Swing at the first pitch strike and lay down some bunts.

His pitches have been somewhat up in the zone lately and he is not locating like he normally does. When he does locate, it looks like he is taking something off the pitch, which is hit hard anyway.

How soon people forget how reliable, effective and his stellar win-loss record [for those only concerned about wins] Buerhle has been throughout his career? How many consecutive games did MB go pitching 6 innings +? How many times has he saved the bullpen from overuse?

He's having trouble, not unlike struggles he's had before, keeping pitches up, missing his spots, getting smacked around. As long as he's healthy, MB's a solid bet of getting back to the effective pitcher he's always been

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)
How soon people forget how reliable, effective and his stellar win-loss record [for those only concerned about wins] Buerhle has been throughout his career? How many consecutive games did MB go pitching 6 innings +? How many times has he saved the bullpen from overuse?

He's having trouble, not unlike struggles he's had before, keeping pitches up, missing his spots, getting smacked around. As long as he's healthy, MB's a solid bet of getting back to the effective pitcher he's always been

:cheers

Every pitcher struggles at some point in the season. Buehrle himself once said that 1/3rd of the time, a pitcher has his stuff; the other third, he doesn't; and the last, he only has some of it.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:11 AM)

Every pitcher struggles at some point in the season. Buehrle himself once said that 1/3rd of the time, a pitcher has his stuff; the other third, he doesn't; and the last, he only has some of it.

Let's just hope Mark got all of the "he doesn't" out of him over the last few starts and finds his stuff for the remainder of the year.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)

Buerhle pitches into the 7th, 8th inning his next start with 3 or less runs and everyone will forget his recent troubles

Stats can indeed be decieving. Look at Iguchi's first two ABs, swinging bunt, somehow stays fair and then he shattered his bat and was 2-2. Pauly didn't even get credited with a base hit when he ripped one into right and Thome got forced out at 2nd. Just saying..

Can I just say Im glad we didnt already sign him to a 70 million dollar contract. I would not offer him an extension until the middle of next year. This may be a hiccup, but it really may be an accumulation of innings mixed with the league developing a very successful strategy. The problem is, if its the second one, Mark has yet to show any sign of adjusting. Its still way too early, but seriously, adjust if you can man.