Brian Anderson just landed on the Mendoza line

gojimthome

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With his improved offense, maybe our manager will quit costing us extra base hits by continuing to play Mackowiak in center field. It's inexcusable to have a poor fielding center field out there when you have a pitcher who doesn't strike out a lot of hitters.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
whupdeef***in doo......its almost august...i know hes still hittin like .340 in july, and he is coming around, but 3.5 months of batting .200 is something im not celebrating

Stop your hatin' and bow to our hero.

hero.jpg

My guess is that you're jealous because he can fly and always gets the girl in the end.

This kid is going to be dynamite. He's got a great looking swing. It took him 2 months to learn how to hit big league pitching. He's learned now. Now he just has to get the power stroke back, and we'll have a guy who can challenge for the All Star team for the next 5 years.

AND NO MORE (*@#&*$&*#& TRADE FOR ROWAND THREADS! THIS KID ISN'T THE PROBLEM!

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
whupdeef***in doo......its almost august...i know hes still hittin like .340 in july, and he is coming around, but 3.5 months of batting .200 is something im not celebrating

"Almost August"? It's July 16. There is half the month of July left. What calendar do you use?

Give me a break. :headshake

With his improved offense, maybe our manager will quit costing us extra base hits by continuing to play Mackowiak in center field. It's inexcusable to have a poor fielding center field out there when you have a pitcher who doesn't strike out a lot of hitters.

Well the bench is going to play whether you like it or not, which obviously you don't. How about that shot that Jeter hit yesterday, right over Anderson's head. It happens. Mackowiak is about the last person to blame for this weekend's debacle. Quit trying to pin everything on Guillen, it's tired. The 3-4-5 hitters went 1-12 with runners in scoring position but I suppose that's Guillen's fault too. Garcia has a crap 1st inning, that's Guillen's fault. When Brandon "the savior" McCarthy gets plugged into the rotation and gets lit up, will that be Guillen's fault too?

I choose to blame the players who don't execute and frankly haven't executed in the Boston series or this series.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
I always thought it was .220, too.

Well, let's try to get Anderson to .220 anyway.

If he keeps that swing together, give him a week or two and he'll be there. If Ozzie stops starting Mack in CF, btw.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
Well the bench is going to play whether you like it or not, which obviously you don't. How about that shot that Jeter hit yesterday, right over Anderson's head. It happens. Mackowiak is about the last person to blame for this weekend's debacle. Quit trying to pin everything on Guillen, it's tired. The 3-4-5 hitters went 1-12 with runners in scoring position but I suppose that's Guillen's fault too. Garcia has a crap 1st inning, that's Guillen's fault. When Brandon "the savior" McCarthy gets plugged into the rotation and gets lit up, will that be Guillen's fault too?

I choose to blame the players who don't execute and frankly haven't executed in the Boston series or this series.

No matter how you look at it, Mackowiak gets way too much time out in CF. It's understandable to have him out there once in a while, but Ozzie platoons him with Anderson. That's too much time out there for a bad CFer.

No matter how you look at it, Mackowiak gets way too much time out in CF. It's understandable to have him out there once in a while, but Ozzie platoons him with Anderson. That's too much time out there for a bad CFer.

Is he platooning him? Honest question. Seems to me Brian has been in there a lot lately.

On the pregame, Guillen said he wanted to get Mackowiak some at bats since he hasn't played for several days, All Star break, etc. and that the Tigers are throwing (likely) 2 LHP in the upcoming series.

Anderson was in there yesterday vs. Mussina so it doesn't seem like a true platoon to me but maybe I'm forgetting the lineups?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)

The way BA was hitting for the first 2 months, it made sense. It doesn't make sense any more.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 02:37 PM)
Is he platooning him? Honest question. Seems to me Brian has been in there a lot lately.

On the pregame, Guillen said he wanted to get Mackowiak some at bats since he hasn't played for several days, All Star break, etc. and that the Tigers are throwing (likely) 2 LHP in the upcoming series.

Anderson was in there yesterday vs. Mussina so it doesn't seem like a true platoon to me but maybe I'm forgetting the lineups?

While getting Mackoviak playing time is a decent goal, it's also worth noting that Anderson is finally earning the playing time, so maybe it would make sense to put Mack in a few different spots and give other people some rest? Anderson's not the only guy Mack can back up.

QUOTE(holly wiggins @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
"Almost August"? It's July 16. There is half the month of July left. What calendar do you use?

Give me a break. :headshake

does it matter....its not like july 16 is something to be happy about...we are 91 games into the season...and thats the point, not that its almost august

While getting Mackoviak playing time is a decent goal, it's also worth noting that Anderson is finally earning the playing time, so maybe it would make sense to put Mack in a few different spots and give other people some rest? Anderson's not the only guy Mack can back up.

I suspect Mackowiak will give Dye a breather from time to time in the 2nd half and possibly Crede as well. The question still stands though, has it been a true platoon lately? I think it's been incumbent on Anderson to produce or at least give better at bats, he's been doing that the last 2 weeks roughly, so he's gotten more playing time. Seems like a logical cause and effect to me.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)
I suspect Mackowiak will give Dye a breather from time to time in the 2nd half and possibly Crede as well. The question still stands though, has it been a true platoon lately? I think it's been incumbent on Anderson to produce or at least give better at bats, he's been doing that the last 2 weeks roughly, so he's gotten more playing time. Seems like a logical cause and effect to me.

I don't know the exact numbers, but it seems that Mackowiak is starting in CF at least once in every series. I understand the need to rest guys, but that seems a little too excessive. Anderson's defense is much more important than Mackowiak's offense, and Anderson has been hitting well for about a month now anyway. Anderson is a young and athletic guy, so I don't think he needs to be sitting as much as he does. And Mackowiak has the ability to play just about every other position on the field, so if he needs some PT, he can replace somebody else once in a while instead of always taking out BA for him.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 09:30 PM)

I'm not blaming Ozzie for having to play Mackowiak out there earlier in the year, as Anderson put this team in a hole. However, he's been playing very well lately, and especially at Yankee Stadium, you need a solid CF out there. Yes, Anderson misplayed a line drive yesterday, and I gave him s*** for it in the game thread. Players are going to make mistakes in the field, but it's a lot easier to take when it's someone playing there actual position. I actually feel bad for Ozzie this season, as he keeps waiting for our starting pitching to live up to its "potential", but they're not coming close to how they were last year. I really wish he'd have more confidence in guys like McCarthy/Cotts to start innings themselves.