So What Exactly Does Ozzie Do Now

Rishard101

Does Ozzie actually do anything as manager once he makes up the lineup card. I mean he leaves the starting pitchers out there until they give up 2 or 3 more runs than they would have if he had pulled them at the right time. In addition this team does not steal bases, bunt for hits, or hit and run anymore. So Ozzie you did a great job last year, but I'm calling you out. GET OFF YOUR ASS AND DO SOMETHING!!!!

I'm sick of playing reserves so much. We won despite that last year, and this year it just piles on to our problems. The worst is playing Mack in CF, he just can't handle it out there. BA is young and on fire, he shouldn't have any days off.

What does he do? He makes sure that Widger, Mackowiak, Cintron and Ozuna get into the game as much as possible. He also makes sure that the bench coach doesn't somehow persuade him to pull the starting pitcher when he's getting shelled.

It's hard work. It was once called "smartball". Now, no one can say that with a straight face.

perfect example, 4th inning, bases loaded, 1 out, chance to kill em, Uribe swings at first pitch in the dirt, then pops up to catcher on the second pitch, no pressure. Widger next, first pitch in the dirt, swings, no pressure on Rogers, then pops up to left.

Last year, in that situation, NEVER EVER EVER EVER FU*KING swing at the first pitch with bases loaded. We would walk in runs and find a way to score people without relying on a killer double to deep center. Every guy in our lineup was able to take first pitch and force the issue. When you lose a game 2-1 on a stellar outing by your starter, you HAVE to look to this kind of thing.....

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 12:42 AM)
perfect example, 4th inning, bases loaded, 1 out, chance to kill em, Uribe swings at first pitch in the dirt, then pops up to catcher on the second pitch, no pressure. Widger next, first pitch in the dirt, swings, no pressure on Rogers, then pops up to left.

Last year, in that situation, NEVER EVER EVER EVER FU*KING swing at the first pitch with bases loaded. We would walk in runs and find a way to score people without relying on a killer double to deep center. Every guy in our lineup was able to take first pitch and force the issue. When you lose a game 2-1 on a stellar outing by your starter, you HAVE to look to this kind of thing.....

Oh I agree with this. Anyone other than Thome, Kong, Crede, and Dye need to be given the "take until you see a strike sign", with runners on.

That should have been the plan today.

Oh and never playing Widger again and DFA him would help things too. I'll just keep repeating that till I die.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 11:49 PM)
So Ozzie enters into this equation where?

Sometimes the manager has to tell a hitter what to do at the plate. The pressure was on Rogers. Uribe is a free swinger, make him take a strike. Ain't nothing wrong with that. If his players aren't playing smart, the manager has to be smart for them. It's not uncommon.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)
So Ozzie enters into this equation where?

Not having Widger bunt early in the game with a runner on 1st and no outs. Anderson came up next and singled...had Widger tried and succeeded at bunting him to 2nd, that turns into a run.

Oh, and there was also a real opportunity for Ozzie to be brave that same inning...Thome came up, they put the Shift on, no one was holding Anderson on at all, the 3rd baseman was playing short...he could have gambled and sent Anderson and I'll bet he could have waltzed home.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 10:51 PM)
I'm sick of playing reserves so much. We won despite that last year, and this year it just piles on to our problems. The worst is playing Mack in CF, he just can't handle it out there. BA is young and on fire, he shouldn't have any days off.

exactly wrong. Our team was more fresh for the stretch run BECAUSE we played our reserves so much.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 03:24 AM)
exactly wrong. Our team was more fresh for the stretch run BECAUSE we played our reserves so much.

Players that are aging like Dye AJ, and Iguchi should be given more time off. Younger players like BA, Crede, and Uribe should be ridden for all they are worth.

A better backup catcher might be worth one full win from this point on.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 07:13 AM)
Oh, and there was also a real opportunity for Ozzie to be brave that same inning...Thome came up, they put the Shift on, no one was holding Anderson on at all, the 3rd baseman was playing short...he could have gambled and sent Anderson and I'll bet he could have waltzed home.

Balta, I was thinking the exact same thing.

But then I started to watch Rogers a little more closely. He has 10 toes pointed towards homeplate on his windup, and he was looking at Anderson up until he started his delivery. His delivery, even when it wasn't out of the stretch, is very quick to homeplate, too.

Needless to say, what I'm getting at is that Anderson would've been a dead-duck. But, like I said, I was thinking the exact same thing.

What really peeved me about this game was the inning where Anderson had a leadoff double on the error from Rogers. Our best bunter coming up can't get it down. Then Iguchi nor Thome can single him home. I dunno about you, but ya just sorta had a feeling that even though we were up 1-0, bad news was on the horizon.

Widger is just about the only reserve that doesnt do a damn thing for this team..

other than that I really dont have a problem seeing Mack or Ozuna out there.. hell even freaking Gload has been solid

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 03:38 AM)
What really peeved me about this game was the inning where Anderson had a leadoff double on the error from Rogers. Our best bunter coming up can't get it down. Then Iguchi nor Thome can single him home. I dunno about you, but ya just sorta had a feeling that even though we were up 1-0, bad news was on the horizon.

The bunt was the key to the Yankees sweeping us. The stolen base was the key to Detroit beating us. If you'll notice, the Sox have been fairly bad in both departments for most of this season.

QUOTE(T R U @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 03:45 AM)
Widger is just about the only reserve that doesnt do a damn thing for this team..

other than that I really dont have a problem seeing Mack or Ozuna out there.. hell even freaking Gload has been solid

He wears those cool sunglasses.

QUOTE(T R U @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 04:45 AM)

Not that is matters because everyone already knows that Widger is horrible, but he is the only batter on the team without a Win Share to his credit.

2006 Win Shares

Thome - 18

Dye - 16

Konerko - 14

Crede - 12

Iguchi - 10

Pierzynski - 9

Podsednik - 8

Uribe - 6

Ozuna - 5

Mackowiak - 5

Cintron - 3

Anderson - 2

Gload - 1

Widger - 0

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 02:18 AM)
Players that are aging like Dye AJ, and Iguchi should be given more time off. Younger players like BA, Crede, and Uribe should be ridden for all they are worth.

A better backup catcher might be worth one full win from this point on.

More than anything I hate seeing Mack in CF. BA needs VERY few days off, but Oz plays Mack like BA is batting .000 against righties. I don't mind mack in the corner spots, or even Ozuna, but we really only have one good defensive center fielder and that's Brian. Most of the other reserves can at least field their position and not potentially cost us games with their defense when they are in.

More than anything I hate seeing Mack in CF. BA needs VERY few days off, but Oz plays Mack like BA is batting .000 against righties. I don't mind mack in the corner spots, or even Ozuna, but we really only have one good defensive center fielder and that's Brian. Most of the other reserves can at least field their position and not potentially cost us games with their defense when they are in.

Well this has been talked about a lot on this site and it will be very interesting to see how Guillen approaches this from here on in.

Anderson has heated up such that he's no longer a liability at the plate, he's had plenty of off time, he's young and should be able to play 6 of 7 games.

So that changes Mackowiak's role. Backup for Dye, possibly give Podsednik a break if he's not 100% (which I suspect he isn't), give Crede a break, play CF once a week, and pinch hit.

I wonder if KW will tweak the makeup of the bench now that Anderson is looking like a productive major league player?