Reggie Bush

Hmm interesting;

No. 2 overall pick and Heisman Trophy-winning running back Reggie Bush not only appears headed for a holdout with the New Orleans Saints, a league source said Bush is toying with the idea of sitting out the entire season and going back in the draft in 2007 if he doesn't get his price.

"No player has ever had the kind of leverage that Reggie Bush has right now," the source said. "The Saints made it clear what they were willing to do before and now we'll see if they're going to get there."

It seems unlikely the Saints will do that in time for Bush to report to training camp with the team on Thursday in Jackson, Miss. Two sources said that talks between the Saints and agent Joel Segal have been nearly non-existent.

On Wednesday, Mike Ornstein, who is Bush's marketing agent, told the Clarion-Ledger of Jackson, Miss., that he didn't think Bush would be signed in time for camp. Ornstein is not allowed to negotiate contracts, but he is acutely aware of all of Bush's business matters.

One of the sources took that a step further, saying Segal was considering not having Bush sign at all. Segal declined to comment when contacted Friday and messages left with multiple members of the New Orleans organization weren't returned.

While it appears unlikely on face value that Bush would sit out, he appears well-positioned to do so if he really wants.

Bush supposedly has more than $5 million in the bank from multiple endorsement deals Ornstein has negotiated since Bush left the University of Southern California. That money is guaranteed regardless of whether Bush plays this season.

Next, Bush could probably sit out 2006 and still be a high pick next year.

Furthermore, Bush probably has the public sentiment running in his favor. Even though holdout players are generally unpopular, Bush has caused tremendous excitement in New Orleans.

In May, shortly after Bush was drafted, the Saints had already set a franchise record for season-ticket sales, having topped 55,000 at that time. That's extraordinary, especially considering the condition of the hurricane-ravaged city.

Moreover, team owner Tom Benson is immensely unpopular in New Orleans. Ranging from his hard-line negotiations with the city and state to constant threats that he will move the team, Benson is often treated with open scorn by Saints fans.

Bush has also worked hard to endear himself to fans in the city after it came out that he didn't want to play in New Orleans. Bush has made multiple donations to hurricane relief.

I can't understand why the NFL doesn't do something like the NBA or MLB and come up with actual reccomendations or requirements for the salaries of their rookie draft picks. Seriously, if nothing else, doesn't it really hurt the salaries of the veterans who are already in the NFLPA to have teams saving their salary cap space to sign these rookies?

I think Bush is being smart here, get as much money while you can when you can. As a running back or anyone playing in the NFL, you better make sure you get as good of a signing bonus as possible because any play could be your very last.

He has a 5 mill endoresement deal so he could sit out if he wanted. Its just a ploy by him, but the fans in New Orleans really like him so my guess is this ploy will make him a few more million.

And while that doesn't seem like a big deal when you get a decent sized signing bonus, its still a few million.

Now I'll agree with you guys that the NFL needs to do something with the signing structure of some of these young guys, but you also got to remember these players are guaranteed nothing but there signing bonuses so I don't blame them for trying for every penny as long as its allowed.

QUOTE(rventura23 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 02:52 AM)
thats a great idea, maybe he could train with the same person that helped Maurice Clarett with his year off

Yeah this isnt close to the Maurice Clarett situation considering he wanted to get in the NFL early and than signed a contract and was cut.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 04:42 PM)
Yeah this isnt close to the Maurice Clarett situation considering he wanted to get in the NFL early and than signed a contract and was cut.

I still can't get over the fact the Broncos actually wasted a 3rd rounder on him. :bang

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 02:53 PM)
I can't understand why the NFL doesn't do something like the NBA or MLB and come up with actual reccomendations or requirements for the salaries of their rookie draft picks. Seriously, if nothing else, doesn't it really hurt the salaries of the veterans who are already in the NFLPA to have teams saving their salary cap space to sign these rookies?

^^^^^ Exactly, just slot the picks and avoid all these holdouts over such a small difference in money. I don't see any reason for the players' union to oppose the change.

The NFL has the rookie cap-within-the-cap. If the Saints give Bush what he wants, does that mean they can't sign their 2nd round pick? 3rd round pick? What are the ramifications?

Honestly though, if Bush holdsout, then do any of you think he'll be taken #1 next year? I don't think he would. I think too many teams would see him as a bad apple that's greedy. He'd probably still go in the top 5, but a guy who didn't play football for a year and was complaining because he didn't get #1 money doesn't sit well with quite a few teams. Then again, there might be the 49ers who are desperate for a RB again and they would take him #1 overall.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 10:23 AM)
Honestly though, if Bush holdsout, then do any of you think he'll be taken #1 next year? I don't think he would. I think too many teams would see him as a bad apple that's greedy. He'd probably still go in the top 5, but a guy who didn't play football for a year and was complaining because he didn't get #1 money doesn't sit well with quite a few teams. Then again, there might be the 49ers who are desperate for a RB again and they would take him #1 overall.

I think the team picking #1 would let it be known that they want a deal done before the draft (assuming he's still in great shape, isn't surpassed by Brady Quinn on their board, etc etc etc), and they'd probably take him #1 on the condition that the deal gets done.