Mark Buerhle

Harry Chappas

2-10; 5.18

29-35

If you do the math, this is the sole reason we are where we are. Loaiza lost 1-0 to Detroit and left with a shut out in another game yet he perserved and is doing quite well. Bartolo Colon pitches well into a game and keeps his team in it.

In the paper today he goes on about how this is one bad outing, 5.18 ERA shows this is not the case. If he wants to blame the team explain how they are 27-25 in games in which he doesn't get a decision.

From the Times;

''I can understand, but some of these fans don't realize that I've gone out there and thrown three or four quality starts,'' Buehrle said. ''I've ... done my job these last three or four times, and it was just one of those days today.

''It's expected here. You go out there and throw a ball, and these fans start to boo you. They don't want you to give up a hit or throw any balls, so you just have to throw strikes every pitch.''

''I understand that they want to see your team win and go out there and try to do well for them, but everybody is going to have a bad day,'' said Buehrle, whose 52 quality starts since the start of the 2001 season are third-most in the American League. ''I've had three or four bad days this year. But I've put a string together, and a day like this happens and they boo you.

''I don't know if these fans don't understand baseball or what, but I'm going out there doing the best I can to try to give this team the best chance to win, and it just didn't happen today.''

Buehrle's losing streak matches one by Jim Parque during the 1999 season. He now has a 6.45 ERA over his last 12 starts compared to a 1.23 ERA in his first three starts when he opened the season 2-1. The left-hander saw his overall ERA rise to 5.18, and his 10 defeats are second in the major leagues to the Detroit Tigers' Mike Maroth, who has 11.

Well Mark I do know your arbitration hearing should be interesting and I may not know s*** about baseball but I know you are the number one reason we are nowhere near competing in a horses*** division. Please excuse me for not appreciating your effort and letting you knwo about it.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the game and I head his postgame interview.

I do not agree that he was b****ing. He made a low key comment - if you hear the actual words and tone of voice.

MB did not have it last night but if he had run run support, he'd be no worse than 6-6 now. His run support is like the third lowest in baseball.

No, I do not believe that he is regretting not signing the contract. Say what you all will, he has had some very tough outings and given his record for us for all of the time that he has pitched for us, he does not deserve, in my opinion, the volumn of booing that he received last night nor the attacks he is getting here.

Comparing two stats:

1. Third lowest in run support (last two places are Tiger pitchers

2. He now has a 6.45 ERA over his last 12 starts.

Sorry dude there ain't a "whole lotta love" (with apologies to Plant and co.) out there either way. A MLB pitcher isn't going to win twenty with a 6.45 ERA. He also isn't going to win 20 with the third lowest run support. Bottom line for MB is; STFU and take care of your s*** then worry about Frank and Co. taking care of their s***.

Comparing two stats:

Sorry dude there ain't a "whole lotta love" (with apologies to Plant and co.) out there either way. A MLB pitcher isn't going to win twenty with a 6.45 ERA. He also isn't going to win 20 with the third lowest run support. Bottom line for MB is; STFU and take care of your s*** then worry about Frank and Co. taking care of their s***.

the quandry of stats, huh? Thanks for posting that

My stfu would go those who rip on someone who posted 39 wins in 3 seasons for us going into this season. But stfu is too strong a phrase for what I'd really say - all I'd read say is remember the other. And don't trash our own. But people will do what they want. I don't think MB's comments are any big deal. He wasn't attacing, He was just commenting. The boos he received last night were out of line and who wouldn't react - it is typical MB that is was low key as it was.

I think he'll get it around yet this season. I don't buy that MB is the sole reason of our team being down. Look at the batting averages - our offesne has let us down big time game after game. I saw what our batting averages were last night. They are horrendous.

I was at the game and I head his postgame interview.

I do not agree that he was b****ing.  He made a low key comment - if you hear the actual words and tone of voice.

MB did not have it last night but if he had run run support, he'd be no worse than 6-6 now.  His run support is like the third lowest in baseball.

No, I do not believe that he is regretting not signing the contract.  Say what you all will, he has had some very tough outings and given his record for us for all of the time that he has pitched for us, he does not deserve, in my opinion, the volumn of booing that he received last night nor the attacks he is getting here.

I was there. I heard his comments. He was whining. He was b****ing about the fans. He deserved the boos - although I was in the patio and we were all cherring him (leaving the game) so I didn't hear any boos. You don't give up EIGHT EARNED RUNS and NOT expect to get a negative reaction. That's just plain stupid on his part.

He pitched for s*** last night. He should have just said that and not... "but, but, but.... I did good the last 3 times"..

And CW.. no offense but what good does the 39 wins and a spot in the playoffs do for us here and now? Nothing, nada, zip, zero, zilch.

Rooney & Farmer said it best.. "it's what have you done for me lately".

And CW.. no offense but what good does the 39 wins and a spot in the playoffs do for us here and now? Nothing, nada, zip, zero, zilch.

Rooney & Farmer said it best.. "it's what have you done for me lately".

What have you done for me lately is the way it is in all forms of business today.

Well Mark I do know your arbitration hearing should be interesting and I may not know s*** about baseball but I know you are the number one reason we are nowhere near competing in a horses*** division.  Please excuse me for not appreciating your effort and letting you knwo about it.

Buehrle is exactly right with his comments. The past 3 or 4 times out, he's pitched well and hasn't gotten any run support. Therefore, he should maybe have 6 losses at the most. You don't boo a guy who's had the success Buehrle has this early in his career, give him a break.

As far as your comment about him being the number one reason we aren't in contention, you are definitely wrong about that. I would put a number of offensive players ahead of Buehrle if you are going to place the blame somewhere, but you lose as a team and you win as a team. I am sure that if the Sox were in first place and Buehrle was 10-2, you wouldn't be posting that he is the reason we are in first. Instead, you take this opportunity to rip him because he's an easy scapegoat. That's all fine and well, just get your facts straight.

I still love ya MB and will never rip you even if you lose 100 games. :cheers

You don't have special threads about Buehrle being 10-2 because he's EXPECTED to be something like 10-2 or 10-4. Like Chris Rock said, "you ain't supposed to take credit for s*** you're SUPPOSED to do!" Bottom line, he should just shut up and pitch. If he wants to comment on how he personally played a particular game, fine, but don't go pointing fingers at your offense, even slightly (ESPECIALLY to the media).

You don't have special threads about Buehrle being 10-2 because he's EXPECTED to be something like 10-2 or 10-4.  Like Chris Rock said, "you ain't supposed to take credit for s*** you're SUPPOSED to do!"  Bottom line, he should just shut up and pitch.  If he wants to comment on how he personally played a particular game, fine, but don't go pointing fingers at your offense, even slightly (ESPECIALLY to the media).

They asked him some questions, he answered them.

They should have asked him where the f*** the offense was the past 4 starts and he could have let loose on his teammates after those games, but he didn't.

This isn't New York and we don't turn on people after 3 or 4 bad starts. Look at his season stats and you tell me how many of those 10 he should have actually lost.

You don't have special threads about Buehrle being 10-2 because he's EXPECTED to be something like 10-2 or 10-4.  Like Chris Rock said, "you ain't supposed to take credit for s*** you're SUPPOSED to do!"  Bottom line, he should just shut up and pitch.  If he wants to comment on how he personally played a particular game, fine, but don't go pointing fingers at your offense, even slightly (ESPECIALLY to the media).

I don't mind him struggling but when you start questioning the knowledge of the fans for not backing him up when he pitches like s***, I have a problem. The run support thing counts for everyone on this staff yet Buerhle feels he is the only victim of this. Last time I looked nobody was getting run support, somehow we still win on occasion and are above .500 when he does not pitch.

Comparing two stats:

That's exactly right. Big time pitchers don't worry about run support they just shut the other team down. While the defense behind him has been shaky at best, he has pitched like crap most of the season. I was at the game last night, and considering the game was over in the first inning, and I paid good money to watch, I deserve to and did boo the crap out of him. Whining about the fans will do him no good. We'll probably hear today how he was just joking around, just like the St. Louis thing, and didn't mean to criticize the fans, who pay his salary, which if he had a brain in is head would be a lot more than it is. Shut your trap MB and get somebody out.

For those who say everyone is getting equal run support, recheck your stats.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/current/...t03.html#luck10

It's not an excuse, but there's no disputing that the offense isn't doing it's job for MB.

:nono  :nono  :nono

There's no question the offense isn't doing the job for him, abozichiu. I'm just saying he shouldn't b**** about it; just blame it on hard luck or (better yet) take the blame himself for a bad start, and he wouldn't piss so many people off.

For those who say everyone is getting equal run support, recheck your stats.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/current/...t03.html#luck10

It's not an excuse, but there's no disputing that the offense isn't doing it's job for MB.

:nono  :nono  :nono

There's no question the offense isn't doing the job for him, abozichiu. I'm just saying he shouldn't b**** about it; just blame it on hard luck or (better yet) take the blame himself for a bad start, and he wouldn't piss so many people off.

You're right, but no one is perfect and I'm sure he's frustrated with his performance just like we are. But I agree, he shouldn't have said what he said. Everyone makes mistakes though, it's part of life. :headbang

I agree on your last post abozichiu. I don't think Mark chose his words very well, but I do feel it was out of frustration that he said it. I am sure he was frustrated and spoke, not really thinking about how his words would be perceived.

As long as he doesn't keep making comments like those and it was a one-time thing, I don't think a big deal should be made about it.

This isn't New York and we don't turn on people after 3 or 4 bad starts.  Look at his season stats and you tell me how many of those 10 he should have actually lost.

Obviously you haven't been to a game here in Chicago lately...

I've looked. IMO, he should be 5-7 right now.

Ace...? :huh:

Mark has not been as consistent in his delivery & performance as he was in 2001-2002. He has pitched well in a number of games, but received no run support. Well, I have seen several big pitchers on other teams step up and win those type of games. I think what happens to MB is that he needs that sharp control to compensate for an average fast ball. Watching ESPN last night the comment was made that Buerhle loses his command of the strike zone, which is the very thing that made him an All-Star pitcher. There has been speculation that MB is injured. I don't buy that, but I think a combination of bad luck, no offense and occasional wildness have taken a toll on MB's confidence. I think he will turn it around too, but I hope for his sake as well as the Sox chances that things come together for him sooner than later.

Buehrle is exactly right with his comments.  The past 3 or 4 times out, he's pitched well and hasn't gotten any run support.  Therefore, he should maybe have 6 losses at the most.  You don't boo a guy who's had the success Buehrle has this early in his career, give him a break.

He is not right. He's wrong with his comments. If you hate getting booed, that's fine. And, yes, he hasn't had the run support he's had in the past and still deserve, but last night if MB would have went 7 innings he would have needed 13 runs of support to be in line for a win.

Yes, I understand that people, including pitchers, have bad days, but this is just getting rediculous.

You don't boo a guy who's had the success Buehrle has this early in his career, give him a break.

And we should give Paul Konerko a break as well? No way. No how. I'm a Sox fan. I expect success. If I didn't, I'd be called a Cubs fan.