Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 12:27 PM)
I'll be at that opener in the NIU section (I'm a student). Obviously I don't expect a win or anything, but if we can just give you an honestly decent game, I'd be ecstatic about the rest of this season. The one thing I will say is you lost 9 defensive starters and it's your first game, so Wolfe and our offensive machine should at least make a good showing on national television, but good Lord your offense is going to destroy our defense.

i'm actually not worried about our defence. We also have an offence this yr. that can get it done big time! Troy smith is the man along with Ginn Jr. GO BUCKS!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(zenryan @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 12:32 AM)
yeah I will be there. got my tickets in the mail last week. you going to be there?

It all depends if I can get a ride down from Tally. I have an 8:00 class the next day and I don't really feel like driving all night before that. However, I'll sleep during the trip back if I can find one.

It should be a great game. Those suspension aren't that bad right? From what I heard, Moore is going to be the most painfull absence just because of the lack of depth at the WR position.

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 01:11 AM)
It all depends if I can get a ride down from Tally. I have an 8:00 class the next day and I don't really feel like driving all night before that. However, I'll sleep during the trip back if I can find one.

It should be a great game. Those suspension aren't that bad right? From what I heard, Moore is going to be the most painfull absence just because of the lack of depth at the WR position.

Remember the ISU-FSU game from 2002? Typical ISU getting my hopes up for the season.

I remember, Bowden was soooooooo pissed after that game.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 01:17 AM)
Remember the ISU-FSU game from 2002? Typical ISU getting my hopes up for the season.

I remember, Bowden was soooooooo pissed after that game.

I have never really followed FSU football before last season because I had no idea that I was going to be going there for school. Sorry :(

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 02:11 AM)

thats going to be a tough trip back for an 8am class. I am probably going to stay at my sisters in Boca and just screw class on that tuesday.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 12:55 AM)
Wow....turns out the Bomar story broke on a Texas A&M fansite......in late JANUARY:

http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp...&forum_id=5

First of all, that guy has bragging rights for life on that site. Second, to me that's proof that Stoops knew exactly what was going on (but then again, of course he did, that post wasn't needed to prove it).

Now this guy is REALLY a legend as that board, Sports Illustrated has picked up on this story.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/...eep-throat.html

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 01:50 PM)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/foot....bar/index.html

Very odd list. GT, Utah, Cal, and Nebraska, yet no Texas, Florida, or LSU?

The reason Florida isn't on the list is their schedule. They have an extremely tough stretch with Bama, LSU, Auburn, and Georgia which I don't think they'll be able to come out undefeated. Also, with Leak struggling with the spread offense, I wouldn't be surprised if he drops out of the Heisman race and fans start to call for Tim Teblow to take over.

Pre-season predictions are a joke, no one really knows because its impossible to judge how replacements are going to do.

Im not going to start opening my big mouth until I actually see a game or two and can judge what is going on. Right now my biggest shock is Auburn getting so much respect after they were manhandled by Wisconsin's offense last season.

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 03:00 PM)
The reason Florida isn't on the list is their schedule. They have an extremely tough stretch with Bama, LSU, Auburn, and Georgia which I don't think they'll be able to come out undefeated. Also, with Leak struggling with the spread offense, I wouldn't be surprised if he drops out of the Heisman race and fans start to call for Tim Teblow to take over.

UF has a brutal schedule as you said. They also have at Tenn, South Carolina and and at FSU on their schedule.

I think they are a 9-3 team at best this season. They bring back a whole new line and they have no running threat right now. Their secondary should give up a lot of big plays against teams that can throw.

I am willing to bet anything that Tebow wont be the starter for any game this year unless Leak gets hurt. Tebow might have the better potential to run Meyers offense but Tebow would get eaten alive in the SEC his first year. Plus I dont think Meyer's offense can work as well as he envisions in the SEC.

Do you rank a team in the preseason based on talent or upcoming schedule?

My rankings would focus more on talent than rankings. I would rather see a 10-2 Florida team playing for a title than an 11-1 Utah team with a loss to say UCLA or TCU. Florida has a runningback by committee, which Urban has had all throughout his tenures at schools.

Leak had a good season last year and should improve a good amount in year two of running Meyers system. Adding 3 very talented receivers including Percy Harvin, who is an impact player both as a WR and on special teams as a return man. I don't see any teams on Florida's schedule that are clearly better than UF, with several even matches such as Bama, Georgia, LSU, FSU, and Auburn.

Bama, LSU, and Georgia are at home, so UF SHOULD have the upper hand. Playing at FSU, Auburn, and Tennessee isn't going to be much fun, but they are winnable games as well.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)
Pre-season predictions are a joke, no one really knows because its impossible to judge how replacements are going to do.

Im not going to start opening my big mouth until I actually see a game or two and can judge what is going on. Right now my biggest shock is Auburn getting so much respect after they were manhandled by Wisconsin's offense last season.

Auburn will be very good. They will also learn from that loss. No offense badger, but Auburn was a better team than Wisky last year. Obviously they weren't in the bowl game, but Auburn went in that game way too overconfident. They thought they were going to walk on the field and run all over Wisconsin. The Badgers, playing for Coach Alvarez, had other ideas.

While Wisconsin has only three starters coming back on offense and a new coach, Auburn returns many skill players on a very deep team. They'll have a few lineman to replace, two linebackers are suspended for the first couple of games hurting their depth, and they are young at WR, but otherwise they return most of the skill players.

No need to be shocked. Their schedule is favorable with all of their toughest games at home.

I disagree.

Why would have been over confident against a Badger team that was 9-3 going into that bowl game with losses to:

PSU, Iowa, and one bad game at Northwestern.

Auburn going into that game was 9-2, losing to GT and LSU.

As to their ranking this year, maybe they will be that good, I just do not see it. They had serious problems facing a much more physical Badger offense.

This year Auburn plays, Florida, LSU, South Carolina, Georgia, and Bama. I guess it is possible that they can win every one of those games, Im just saying that judging from the team I saw last year, I think that is doubtful.

Maybe Auburn had a really bad game, I dont know and I honestly do not follow every single football program. I have seen Auburn a few times, especially when they had Caddy and Brown. Also saw the 2003 Auburn team completely dominate Wisconsin so I know what they are capable of.

Anyway's just my opinion of course, I think that Wisconsin will do fine and that the fact only 3 starters returned is not as important as people make it seem. Calhoun was a big loss, but as a Wisconsin fan you have to have faith that they have some one ready to fill in, as they have had a lot of success with rb's. There are some questions at wr, but I would say the health on the defensive side offsets that.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
I disagree.

Why would have been over confident against a Badger team that was 9-3 going into that bowl game with losses to:

PSU, Iowa, and one bad game at Northwestern.

Auburn going into that game was 9-2, losing to GT and LSU.

As to their ranking this year, maybe they will be that good, I just do not see it. They had serious problems facing a much more physical Badger offense.

This year Auburn plays, Florida, LSU, South Carolina, Georgia, and Bama. I guess it is possible that they can win every one of those games, Im just saying that judging from the team I saw last year, I think that is doubtful.

Maybe Auburn had a really bad game, I dont know and I honestly do not follow every single football program. I have seen Auburn a few times, especially when they had Caddy and Brown. Also saw the 2003 Auburn team completely dominate Wisconsin so I know what they are capable of.

Anyway's just my opinion of course, I think that Wisconsin will do fine and that the fact only 3 starters returned is not as important as people make it seem. Calhoun was a big loss, but as a Wisconsin fan you have to have faith that they have some one ready to fill in, as they have had a lot of success with rb's. There are some questions at wr, but I would say the health on the defensive side offsets that.

I think Auburn has just about as good a chance as anyone to make some serious noise this year. They could have easily been a 4-loss team last year (kind of pulled the Georgia game out of their ass), but they have some talented players returning. Every team in the country has some question marks, and you just don't know how teams will fill those holes. I try to pay attention to what teams do have coming back, which is where Auburn has a few advantages over other teams.

Kenny Irons is one of the best running backs in the country. Brandon Cox is a capable quarterback that got better as the year went on (well maybe not in the Bowl Game). Courtney Taylor is a dangerous receiver. They have two very good ends in Marquies Gunn and Quentin Groves. Kim Herring is a pretty solid veteran safety/linebacker. They have to fill some holes at DT, linebacker, and at the safety spots, but that's a pretty good start.

Are they going to go undefeated? Probably not. LSU and Florida should be very tough, and Georgia isn't a pushover. But they have a good chance to go 9-2 or better in the regular season, much like last year.

I'm going to stay away from commenting on Wisconsin this year. Brian Calhoun proved me wrong big time last year.