Dye V Maggs

TLAK

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)
Absolutely.

JD's been everything we could have asked for, and more.

no time on the DL either? not only that, but he's playing the best baseball of his career, and for our Sox!who was Dye's previous team, the Angels? HA! HAHA!

(note: I'm just kidding. I know Dye last played for the A's, and I know that joke was absurdly lame, I could've just said he's been a God send. I apologize for the nerdy post, though intended.)

QUOTE(AirScott @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 06:43 PM)
no time on the DL either? not only that, but he's playing the best baseball of his career, and for our Sox!who was Dye's previous team, the Angels? HA! HAHA!

(note: I'm just kidding. I know Dye last played for the A's, and I know that joke was absurdly lame, I could've just said he's been a God send. I apologize for the nerdy post, though intended.)

:bang :lol:

The explanation made me laugh more than the joke ever could....

:lol: :cheers

There's no question who the better choice is, financially or for production. Dye kills Ordonez in both categories. In my opinion, Dye is the AL MVP right now because he plays the field (very well I might add), has these numbers:

103 G 381 AB 70 R 124 H 22 2B 2 3B 30 HR 87 RBI 44 BB 86 K 5 SB 2 CS .325 AVG .395 OBP .630 SLG 1.025 OPS

and he comes up with the big hit when he's at the plate in pressure situations. Considering that I've heard several times that the AL MVP will be a two horse race between Ortiz and Jeter, I'm SHOCKED that I haven't heard Dye mentioned anywhere (but here of course) as an MVP candidate. He outproduces Jeter in almost every category, and is similar defensively, although they play different positions.

So, in the end, it was the right decision to let Magglio Ordonez go, but I still hate him for taking basically the same deal the White Sox offered him from Detroit.

Edited by Dam8610

The Sox have the option on Dye for next year, and will certainly exercise it. But they should also tack on a couple extra years for good measure. He is 32 now, but there's no reason he can't remain productive into his mid-late 30s. Sure, he may not lead the league in slugging ever again, but he's up there among the best bargains in baseball.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 07:47 PM)
Personally, I'd take Magglio over Dye. Jermaine is only getting older, and quick. I just see Maggs outlasting him, if the Sox could trade Dye straight up for Ordonez, I'd do it.

I usually agree with you, but not on this one. His contract is WAY too big to take on for a player that in this lineup would put up similiar numbers to Dye. While Dye is getting up there in age and his defensive range is not as good as most RFers..I think he has a spot in left if we can get rid of Pods.

QUOTE(blazewc77 @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 02:02 AM)
Maggs would not have gotten the rbi last year in game 4 of the WS against Houston, he is not a clutch hitter. I would rather have Scott Bora's other player...........................JOE CREDE.

Id take Magglio pre-injury and with a haircut over Dye but thats about it.

I would like to see Maggs' knee hold up in another season, or two.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 07:47 PM)
Personally, I'd take Magglio over Dye. Jermaine is only getting older, and quick. I just see Maggs outlasting him, if the Sox could trade Dye straight up for Ordonez, I'd do it.

QUOTE(supernuke @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 01:09 AM)
Hmmm, Both of them were born on Jan. 28, 1974.

PWNED.

And an interesting fact. ;)

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 12:18 AM)
I still don't understand why nobody ever talks about Jermaine when discussing possible MVP candidates? He's the best hitter on the team that's scored the most runs, and he's not too shabby in RF either.

Probably because he's still been overshadowed by Thome.

I agree completley, I'm all over the JD for MVP thing, but Thome still has a higer OBP and OPS.

Plus, he doesn't have a nickname like "Big Papi" or "A-Rod" or "ManRam" to really grab the attention of the newsmedia. :P