Jerry Owens...

WHITESOXRANDY

Does anyone have statistics on Jerry Owens past 2 months maybe ?

He started out so poorly and slowly this year that I wanted to dismiss him as not a real prospect. But, it seems that he has been hot for a while. To have his average up to .264 and OBP at .330 he must be hitting over .300 for the last 2 months or so ?

Maybe he'll barely become a 4th OFer or maybe he could be at Pods level one day. Anybody ?

He's as old as the hills, has no power, has no arm, gets caught stealing too much, and can't hit for average. The only thing about him that makes people look is that he can run really fast. Sounds familiar...

He won't see more than a handful of games at the major league level in his career. If he does, the team that provides them will regret it.

QUOTE(Contreras @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 09:14 AM)
He's as old as the hills, has no power, has no arm, gets caught stealing too much, and can't hit for average. The only thing about him that makes people look is that he can run really fast. Sounds familiar...

He won't see more than a handful of games at the major league level in his career. If he does, the team that provides them will regret it.

First off, Jerry isn't as old as the hills, he's only 25 so he's not ancient. Second he is 37 for 48 in SB's which equates out to a .7708%, not terrible, but not great either. He struggled earlier in the season with making contact, which is why his AVG is not where it should be for a leadoff hitter(we have a problem with that on the major league level too by someone who gets caught stealing more also). He has a pretty good BB to K ratio of 42 to 59. I definantly would not say that jerry owens is a waste of a player and has no hope.

So in other words, he's most likely a future fourth OFer. Hopefully he can learn to play CF a little bit better, too, as he'd be pretty useless if he can only play LF.

I also hope the Sox aim a little higher than another version of Scott Podsednik over the next couple years (like going after Chone Figgins or Juan Pierre). I much prefer the Curtis Granderson type leadoff man (similar OBP, similar batting average, but more slugging) to the slap hitting types.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 03:24 PM)
Owens' BA and OBP by month:

April: .247/.301

May: .231/.292

June: .280/.345

July: .322/.412

August: .310/.355 (through games of August 11)

Where'd you get these numbers? I'm seeing different ones from this.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)
So in other words, he's most likely a future fourth OFer. Hopefully he can learn to play CF a little bit better, too, as he'd be pretty useless if he can only play LF.

I also hope the Sox aim a little higher than another version of Scott Podsednik over the next couple years (like going after Chone Figgins or Juan Pierre). I much prefer the Curtis Granderson type leadoff man (similar OBP, similar batting average, but more slugging) to the slap hitting types.

What the? Juan Pierre? What exactly does he do better than Pods?

The thing that makes Owens intriguing is that he played football primarily for years but now that he has concentrated on baseball for the past 2-3 years, he has made rapid progress.

Maybe, he won't play CF well and maybe he won't develop power but he has been hitting .323 since the end of May. He also clearly has speed and if he can improve his steals a bit, he does start to resemble Pods.

He may make a valuable 4th OFer one day. I wouldn't give up on him. I think he should get a Sept. call up.

Oh, and thanks Danman.

Edited by WHITESOXRANDY

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 03:34 PM)
I much prefer the Curtis Granderson type leadoff man (similar OBP, similar batting average, but more slugging) to the slap hitting types.

Curtis Granderson on this team would be horrible. That's all we need is a center fielder with suspect instincts who strikes out about 180 times a year, and a .350 OBP. And what does he have in steals? EIGHT?

I would LOVE to have a slap hitter who could play some good defense, hit near .300, show great plate discipline, handle the bat, and steal a bunch of baess than some glorified 7-hitter like Granderson. Granderson is young and has some nice raw talent and seems like a really good kid, but he sucks as a leadoff man and always will.

I don't want "more slugging" from my 1st and 2nd hitters...That's why they make 3, 4, 5, and 6 hitters. Scott Podsednik showed what a brilliant leadoff hitter can do...Pods hit about .290 last year, didn't strike out much, and stole a bunch of bases...that's ALL YOU NEED. It does appears Pods used a lot of gas last year and it'd be wise to think about a replacement (I like a kid named Mike Bourne in the Phillies org, but I doubt we'd get him), but the last thing we need is a free-swinger in a spot where excellent bat control is a necessity.

I would LOVE to have a slap hitter who could play some good defense, hit near .300, show great plate discipline, handle the bat, and steal a bunch of baess than some glorified 7-hitter like Granderson. Granderson is young and has some nice raw talent and seems like a really good kid, but he sucks as a leadoff man and always will.

Hmm... first full season in the big leagues, kid is putting up a .267/.348/.425. Considering that he plays CF, and that he's rookie, I'd say that's pretty solid, really.

He always will suck as a leadoff man? Oh, thanks, I didn't know players peaked at age 25. I guess you learn something new everyday... :stick