Garland's ERA revisited

TheHammer

Before his last two starts someone started a thread basically asking if it was possible for Garland to possibly lower his era to 4.50 before the season ended. And somone did the math on it and the consensus was Garland would probably not make it.

Well nearly 17 consecutive scoreless innings later and the kids down to a 4.47. At this point he would have to be the first choice to start game 1 any potential playoff series.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 08:44 PM)
When's the last time a Cy Young winner has had an ERA right around 4?

Never.

The highest in history is Lamarr Hoyt of Your Chicago White Sox in 1983 3.66 (he went 24-10 though).

Next are Clemons 2001 3.51 and Colon 2005 3.48.

The best? In 1981 Rollie Fingers won it with a 1.04. Bob Gibson had a 1.12 in 1968 going 22-9, wow.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 12:17 AM)
I could care less about the Cy Young award. It seems like the award is getting more and more like Gold Gloves.

The Cy Young will come down to Halladay and Santana.

It is amazing what not hitting a batter can do to a pitcher.

So true, Johan has already been f***ed out of 1 Cy Young by the Twins' offense, it'd be a damn shame if he got screwed again this year as well.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 06:23 AM)
So true, Johan has already been f***ed out of 1 Cy Young by the Twins' offense, it'd be a damn shame if he got screwed again this year as well.

If Santana wins the Cy, that will just add 3 more inched to his strike zone from the umps. He already has a zone to rival that of Pedro or Maddux in their prime.

It makes sense that Jon is doing the best. His problems, unlike guys like Freddy and Jose, aren't inury-related or a loss of stuff. It was his control/lack of pitching where he did last year. He's the same pitcher as last year. It just took him a while to get back on track.

I have no problems with him starting game one of any playoff series. His ERA is not representative of what he's become. He's our ace.

Johan, Verlander and than Halladay in my book. Although I think Halladay is a pretty damn good pitcher, I got to tip my cap to what the other two are doing.

Obviously I think Johan is the most dominant pitcher in baseball though so he gets the nod and if it were up to me it would be his 3rd Cy Young.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
I don't even get to that point, I just pencil it in as a loss.

I didn't when we had pre-injury Jose, or non-sucky Jon. The Twins offense still doesn't scare me, namely because it's just a lot of guys who forgot they weren't very good.

It's be optimal if we could get up like 7-0 early in the first game. Setting the tone in game one would do wonders.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 08:11 PM)
Unless he throws 7 shutouts in a row to finish the season, Jon Garland has absolutely NO CHANCE at the Cy Young award.

Nope. If he gives up an average of 2 runs per outing we will have 96 runs allowed over almost 230 innings. That's an ERA of 3.75 which will be considered if and only if Garland has at least two more wins than the next Pitcher. Also, if the Sox do make the playoffs it will help him a ton, since the Twins will not have made the post-season, and Toronto never got even close. Come to think of it, Garland is sounding more like an MVP than a Cy Young candidate.

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 01:47 PM)
Nope. If he gives up an average of 2 runs per outing we will have 96 runs allowed over almost 230 innings. That's an ERA of 3.75 which will be considered if and only if Garland has at least two more wins than the next Pitcher. Also, if the Sox do make the playoffs it will help him a ton, since the Twins will not have made the post-season, and Toronto never got even close. Come to think of it, Garland is sounding more like an MVP than a Cy Young candidate.

Haha, you're assuming that Garland gets 7 more starts the rest of the way which would basically be the most he's going to get and in those 7 starts he has to go all 9 in every one of them while allowing an average of 2 ERs per game, how is that realistic at all?

Math time:

Currently: 25 GS, 165 IP, 82 ER

Scenerio 1: 7 GS, 49 IP, 14 ER (AVG: 7 IP, 2 ER)

Scenerio 2: 7 GS, 56 IP, 14 ER (AVG: 8 IP, 2 ER)

Scenerio 3: 7 GS, 63 IP, 14 ER (AVG: 9 IP, 2 ER) (This is what you're assuming)

Scenerio 4: 7 GS, 49 IP, 21 ER (AVG: 7 IP, 3 ER)

Scenerio 5: 7 GS, 63 IP, 0 ER (AVG: 9 IP, 0 ER)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

SC1: 32 GS, 214 IP, 96 ER: 4.04 ERA (Most Likely Scenerio IMO)

SC2: 32 GS, 221 IP, 96 ER: 3.91 ERA

SC3: 32 GS, 228 IP, 96 ER: 3.79 ERA (Your Scenerio)

SC4: 32 GS, 214 IP, 103 ER: 4.33 ERA

SC5: 32 GS, 228 IP, 82 ER: 3.24 ERA (The Perfect Scenerio)

Even if he pitches complete game shutouts the rest of the way, his ERA still will not be low enough to garner any sort of Cy Young consideration. Also, I do not consider a guy who was absolutely terrible for his first 12 starts of the season a legit Cy Young candidate anyway.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
I didn't when we had pre-injury Jose, or non-sucky Jon. The Twins offense still doesn't scare me, namely because it's just a lot of guys who forgot they weren't very good.

It's be optimal if we could get up like 7-0 early in the first game. Setting the tone in game one would do wonders.

Worked in the first game of the ALDS last year.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
Haha, you're assuming that Garland gets 7 more starts the rest of the way which would basically be the most he's going to get and in those 7 starts he has to go all 9 in every one of them while allowing an average of 2 ERs per game, how is that realistic at all?

Math time:

Currently: 25 GS, 165 IP, 82 ER

Scenerio 1: 7 GS, 49 IP, 14 ER (AVG: 7 IP, 2 ER)

Scenerio 2: 7 GS, 56 IP, 14 ER (AVG: 8 IP, 2 ER)

Scenerio 3: 7 GS, 63 IP, 14 ER (AVG: 9 IP, 2 ER) (This is what you're assuming)

Scenerio 4: 7 GS, 49 IP, 21 ER (AVG: 7 IP, 3 ER)

Scenerio 5: 7 GS, 63 IP, 0 ER (AVG: 9 IP, 0 ER)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

SC1: 32 GS, 214 IP, 96 ER: 4.04 ERA (Most Likely Scenerio IMO)

SC2: 32 GS, 221 IP, 96 ER: 3.91 ERA

SC3: 32 GS, 228 IP, 96 ER: 3.79 ERA (Your Scenerio)

SC4: 32 GS, 214 IP, 103 ER: 4.33 ERA

SC5: 32 GS, 228 IP, 82 ER: 3.24 ERA (The Perfect Scenerio)

Even if he pitches complete game shutouts the rest of the way, his ERA still will not be low enough to garner any sort of Cy Young consideration. Also, I do not consider a guy who was absolutely terrible for his first 12 starts of the season a legit Cy Young candidate anyway.

You did a lot of leg work on this one. Looks good to me. Complete games from here on out is absurd, but 2 to 2.5 runs seems doable.