Since July 3rd

Chisox_fan

After being horrified by today's line-up, I decided to do a bit of research and was shocked to discover that since July 3rd when we began the series against the Os, we have only played our normal lineup (pods, gooch, Thome, Konerko, Dye, AJP, Crede, Uribe, Anderson) SIX TIMES.

A playoff-fighting team should be out there every day..

Discuss.

QUOTE(Chisox_fan @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 02:41 AM)
After being horrified by today's line-up, I decided to do a bit of research and was shocked to discover that since July 3rd when we began the series against the Os, we have only played our normal lineup (pods, gooch, Thome, Konerko, Dye, AJP, Crede, Uribe, Anderson) SIX TIMES.

A playoff-fighting team should be out there every day..

Discuss.

Pablo's too spunky to not play LF

Gooch can clearly only play 100 games a year, and can't hit righties

Thome was hurt

Kong was hurt

Dye actually played damn near every game

AJ, simply put, just isn't Sandy

Crede is same as Dye

Uribe is in the dog house

Brian is apparently a Communist

It's downright horrible we've only seen our opening day lineup 6 times.

I don't personally see it as a problem how often Ozzie plays his bench, with one exception - BA is benched far too often.

I think the real problem with the bench use, BA aside, is that Ozzie plays his bench players IN THE WRONG POSITIONS. Its not how often they play... its where they play.

Ozzie...

--Plays Mack in CF 3 times a week instead of once a week in CF, once in LF and once in RF

--Plays Ozuna in LF 2 times a week instead of 3B once a week (where Crede has a bad back), pinch run and RH PH occasionally, and OF only on rare occasion

--Plays Cintron at 3B, when he should only be playing middle infield (Iguchi could actually use more rest)

--Plays Gload in RF and 1B when he should only be used at 1B and as the #1 LH PH on the team

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 09:56 AM)
Aye aye aye...

Do you people really know what's going on in the clubhouse?

I don't give a rat's ass what's going on in the clubhouse. 6 times in 2 months? A few players better be dying to get that much rest.

We're in a race just to get to the playoffs. Six f***ing times?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)
I don't give a rat's ass what's going on in the clubhouse. 6 times in 2 months? A few players better be dying to get that much rest.

We're in a race just to get to the playoffs. Six f***ing times?

Milkman, with all due respect (and this time, I seriously am not trying to yap at you or be a jerk), unless you know what's going on in that clubhouse every day, you can't possibly know what's best. We can ASSUME what's best all day long (which we're all good at around here). I think I have a pretty good guess as to why this is happening, but honestly, I'm not willing to put it down here on the board.

But I will say this - I think that in September, we're going to be better off then some teams, because of the "Sunday lineups". Will it be enough to get us in the playoffs? Time will tell.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:33 AM)
Milkman, with all due respect (and this time, I seriously am not trying to yap at you or be a jerk), unless you know what's going on in that clubhouse every day, you can't possibly know what's best. We can ASSUME what's best all day long (which we're all good at around here). I think I have a pretty good guess as to why this is happening, but honestly, I'm not willing to put it down here on the board.

But I will say this - I think that in September, we're going to be better off then some teams, because of the "Sunday lineups". Will it be enough to get us in the playoffs? Time will tell.

Kap, the issue is that same Sunday lineup costing us too many games before September. Mack's the whipping boy around here, but it seems like he costs us a run every friggin game cause he's been misplaced. It's not his fault, but he's not in a position to succeed. We have a left fielder who's doing a hell of a lot worse than our centerfielder. However, Mack doesn't start there....ever.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:40 AM)
Kap, the issue is that same Sunday lineup costing us too many games before September. Mack's the whipping boy around here, but it seems like he costs us a run every friggin game cause he's been misplaced. It's not his fault, but he's not in a position to succeed. We have a left fielder who's doing a hell of a lot worse than our centerfielder. However, Mack doesn't start there....ever.

Mack is pretty good OF when he plays LF or RF. He is not a centerfielder. He has stated many times on the radio that its not a position he feels comfortable with. He hasnt been happy with his centerfield play. This is not his fault, its just that he is miscast. And I feel bad for him, because some people dont recognize that he is a good defensive LF and a good RF and just think he is bad as an OF all around. He is a valuable player as a bench player and left handed stick off the bench late in games.

Anderson needs to play just about every single day. He is 24 years old, and is ready to play everyday.

Now here is a problem we havent talked about. Ozzie needs to see what he has in Brian before the playoffs start. Because if he is not confident in him to face X pitcher from the right side becaue its a bad matchup, is he going to be comfortable to face him in the playoffs. I dont want Mack roaming CF in the playoffs where mistakes are magnified 10 fold. My say is that we let the kid play everyday. If Uribe could play last year with his terrible BA at the time when we desperately needed offense, we can play BA who has been hitting well since June and plays spectacular D on a good hitting team.

Free Brian Anderson, let him play!!!!!!

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 03:40 PM)

That's a good point.

However, I still think there's some things that we're all not privy to which would be some reasons why this is happening.

Just so I'm clear, I'm for BA over Mack - I agree with you all on that. However, I'm trying to say that there's a reason why BA is being 'protected' if you will.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:40 AM)

Exactly, resting guys for September is all fine and good but if it's costing you a good amount of games in April-August to the point where you don't even hold a playoff spot going into September then all that rest your starters got for the first 5 months may have been all for naught.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:55 AM)
That's a good point.

However, I still think there's some things that we're all not privy to which would be some reasons why this is happening.

Just so I'm clear, I'm for BA over Mack - I agree with you all on that. However, I'm trying to say that there's a reason why BA is being 'protected' if you will.

He's hitting .298 since the break. That protection is hardly needed. If we're serious about a World Series, we need to be serious about who our f***ing centerfielder is. You can play the guy with Gold Glove D who is hitting .298 sinec the break or the one hitting .276 in the same time span with crappy d.

And I don't just bring it up since I'm one of BA's biggest backers, but it's one of the most glaring issues.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 08:55 AM)

I understand protecting B.A. when he was hitting so poorly through April and May. But there's just no reason to keep doing it now. Now he's going out against good pitchers and actually looking good. He's spraying the ball to all fields, etc. He's beating good pitchers and getting hits off of them when he faces them, good righties included. The only thing he hasnt' found yet is his power stroke, and that will probably come with time.

There is no more reason right now to protect B.A. than there is to protect Uribe. And there's especially no reason to keep B.A. on the bench for 4 games out of the last 7 with the 2 teams ahead of us in the AL Central.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 11:10 AM)
I understand protecting B.A. when he was hitting so poorly through April and May. But there's just no reason to keep doing it now. Now he's going out against good pitchers and actually looking good. He's spraying the ball to all fields, etc. He's beating good pitchers and getting hits off of them when he faces them, good righties included. The only thing he hasnt' found yet is his power stroke, and that will probably come with time.

There is no more reason right now to protect B.A. than there is to protect Uribe. And there's especially no reason to keep B.A. on the bench for 4 games out of the last 7 with the 2 teams ahead of us in the AL Central.

Brian is no Cy f***ing Young. Or Willie f***ing Mays for that matter. He'll be ready approximately the same time as Brandon, sometime in 09.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)
Because there's some things (again) that we all may not know about.

What do mean by 'some things'? An injury, a disagreement?

I am completely clueless as to these issues we don't understand or know about, but apparently you are privied to enough information where you can insinuate that you perceive there are such 'things' occurring.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
What do mean by 'some things'? An injury, a disagreement?

I am completely clueless as to these issues we don't understand or know about, but apparently you are privied to enough information where you can insinuate that you perceive there are such 'things' occurring.

My point is, you all don't know, either, but you sure as hell think you do. PLAY HIM, EVERY DAY. On the surface, I agree. But, there definitely could be reasons why this doesn't happen.

One thing that really was unsettling was the comments that Anderson either needs to steal bases or hit home runs? This was in the Trib this morning. The guy is far and away the best defensive player on the field and is finally hitting the ball. Now he needs to either start running or swing for the fences. Guillen needs to just let him play.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)
One thing that really was unsettling was the comments that Anderson either needs to steal bases or hit home runs? This was in the Trib this morning. The guy is far and away the best defensive player on the field and is finally hitting the ball. Now he needs to either start running or swing for the fences. Guillen needs to just let him play.

You're f***ing me, right?

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
You're f***ing me, right?

This is what he is talking about, and its his plans for next year not this year. They either want Brian to develop into a power guy or a top of the lineup guy. Guillen likes Brians speed and wants to use it more.

BRIAN'S SONG: Guillen has speed in mind for center fielder Brian Anderson's future if Anderson is willing.

Guillen would like Anderson to play winter ball after the season with the intent of improving either his power-hitting ability or his speed.

''I told him, 'You have to work this winter on being a power hitter or a speed guy,''' Guillen said. ''I think he's the fastest guy we have. He has to pick because you can't be successful in both.''

Anderson's speed has been a plus defensively, but his hitting woes (.227) have limited his chances to steal bases. He has four in nine attempts.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
This is what he is talking about, and its his plans for next year not this year. They either want Brian to develop into a power guy or a top of the lineup guy. Guillen likes Brians speed and wants to use it more.

BRIAN'S SONG: Guillen has speed in mind for center fielder Brian Anderson's future if Anderson is willing.

Guillen would like Anderson to play winter ball after the season with the intent of improving either his power-hitting ability or his speed.

''I told him, 'You have to work this winter on being a power hitter or a speed guy,''' Guillen said. ''I think he's the fastest guy we have. He has to pick because you can't be successful in both.''

Anderson's speed has been a plus defensively, but his hitting woes (.227) have limited his chances to steal bases. He has four in nine attempts.

Just off the top of my head:

Bobby Abreu

Carlos Beltran

Vlad Guerrero

Alfonso Soriano

Barry Bonds

Steve Finley

Reggie Sanders

Sammy Sosa

Ray Lankford

Raul Mondesi

Alex Rodriguez

Derek Jeter

Craig Biggio

Johnny Damon

Mike Cameron

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)

Aren't these the talks you have during your end of the season meeting with the player?? Especially for a young player that has fought to stay in the majors and is in the hunt for a playoff spot. As well doing what he thought was asked.