CNN `Live From...' the ladies room

Goldmember

CNN `Live From...' the ladies room

By FRAZIER MOORE, AP Television Writer

Kyra Phillips, anchor of CNN's "Live From...," unwittingly upstaged President Bush's speech in New Orleans with on-the-air analysis of her husband and the marriage of her brother — all live from a CNN ladies room.

Unaware that her wireless microphone was "live" during her break, Phillips could be heard overriding Bush's prepared address Tuesday as he was seen marking the first anniversary of Hurricane Katrina.

The Atlanta-based Phillips, in conversation with an unidentified woman in an echoey room, dismissed most men with a vulgar term, but called herself "very lucky in that regard. My husband is handsome and he is genuinely a loving — you know, no ego — you know what I'm saying? Just a really passionate, compassionate, great, great human being. And they exist. They do exist. They're hard to find. Yup. But they are out there."

A few moments later, she observed that "brothers have to be, you know, protective. Except for mine. I've got to be protective of him."

Why? "His wife is just a control freak."

At that point, another voice cut in: "Kyra."

"Yeah, baby?" replied Phillips on hearing her name.

"Your mike is on. Turn it off. It's been on the air."

CNN anchor Daryn Kagan, looking flustered, then broke into the telecast with a recap of what Bush had been saying.

Phillips later apologized to viewers "for an issue we had with our mikes" and "for a little bit of an interruption there during the president."

CNN issued its own official apology "to our viewers and the president for the disruption," and apologized to the White House.

In a subsequent statement, CNN explained the mishap as "a technical malfunction with the audio board. We're addressing how this happened and why it was not more promptly corrected on air."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060830/ap_en_...cnn_open_mike_4

this might put a dent in her relationship with her brother and sister-in-law... :lol:

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 07:22 PM)
I want to be a fly on the wall for the next family gathering they attend together lol.

This would be an interesting family reunion......

GLASS SPOUSES

CNN'S KYRA IS THE REAL CONTROL

FREAK, DAD LAUGHS

By JENNIFER FERMINO

August 31, 2006 -- Takes one to know one.

That was the amused reaction of CNN anchor Kyra Phillips' father yesterday to his daughter's accidentally broadcast bathroom banter - which included a pointed dig at her "control freak" sister-in-law.

"I would think it'd be the other way around," a laughing Dan Phillips, 64, told The Post. "[Kyra's husband] John just kowtows to her all the time."

He said he wasn't aware of any tension between his cable-news-star spawn and the alleged dominating daughter-in-law - but joked that Thanksgiving might be a little strained.

"It's going to be interesting," said the Mobile, Ala., resident. "Absolutely!"

He hadn't heard about the on-air blunder until contacted by a Post reporter - but was tickled by the story.

"I'll be damned. It's like bloopers on TV," he chuckled. "She'll never live this down."

Dan Phillips was talking about Kyra's wireless open mike that picked up and broadcast her conversation with a friend in the ladies' room, sending it out over the air at the same time CNN was carrying President Bush's speech from New Orleans live.

Kyra said of her brother, "He's married, three kids, but his wife is just a control freak."

"Of course, brothers have to be, you know, protective," she told her friend. "Except for mine. I've got to be protective of him."

Nothing much surprises Dan Phillips with his opinionated daughter, whom he affectionately calls the "Tasmanian Devil."

"The people she works with love that crap [her outspokenness]," he said fondly.

Charles Phillips, the supposedly henpecked brother, and his wife, Carrie, are "the type that would never say anything bad about anybody," said the father.

Kyra Phillips, who's been married for about five years, also dished about her husband, but in a good way.

"My husband is handsome and he is genuinely a loving, you know, no ego," gushed Phillips, totally unaware that her mike was still on. "Just a really passionate, compassionate, great, great human being."

The embarrassing chat ended when someone quashed the commentary by warning the Emmy-winning "Live From . . ." host that her microphone was on and her dirty laundry was being aired.

When reached at her home yesterday, the maligned sister-in-law, Carrie Phillips, said, "I don't really want to say anything."

CNN blamed the broadcast booboo on a "technical malfunction with the audio board" and stressed that Phillips wasn't at fault.

After the gaffe, she apologized on air, but made no further comments yesterday about the incident during her show

:bang :bang

Top Ten Kyra Phillips Excuses Presented by CNN Anchor Kyra Phillips:

10. "Still haven't mastered complicated On/Off switch."

9. "Larry King told me he does this all the time."

8. "How was I supposed to know we had a reporter embedded in the bathroom?"

7. "I honestly never knew this sort of thing was frowned upon."

6. "Couldn't resist chance to win $10,000 on 'America's Funniest Home Videos."'

5. "I was set up by those bastards at Fox News."

4. "Oh, like YOU'VE never gone to the bathroom and had it broadcast on national television!"

3. "I just wanted that hunky Lou Dobbs to notice me."

2. "OK, so I was drunk and couldn't think straight."

1. "You have to admit, it made the speech a lot more interesting.

Worldwide Pants, Inc.