SIU Salukis defeat Indiana

Kyyle23

SIU broke a 23 year and 20 game losing streak against division 1A opponents by defeating Indiana 35-28 today in Indiana. They also were the first Gateway conference team to ever defeat a Big Ten opponent. Needless to say, Carbondale is quite giddy about this, any sort of exposure for Saluki athletics is big for SIU. I know Indiana isnt much in the way of Big Ten teams, but this is a great start for the Football Salukis, who are looking to make the Division 1AA playoffs for the 4th year in a row.

I know there are a few Saluki faithful around the site(Brian and Rowand44 to name a few), and one IU alum in particular(Aboz!) who might like to have a little discussion, especially since Chris Lowery and the mens basketball team is heading up to IU in a few months to take on Kelvin Sampson and the recruiting exceptions ;)

I really have nothing against Indiana.

This is huge for Kill and Co. I'm sure Indiana fans remember the Salukis beating the Hoosiers at SIU Arena a few years ago. SIU b-ball is going to be top notch. They should be ranked top 15, at least top 20.

Go Dawgs!!!

QUOTE(Brian @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 08:02 PM)
I really have nothing against Indiana.

This is huge for Kill and Co. I'm sure Indiana fans remember the Salukis beating the Hoosiers at SIU Arena a few years ago. SIU b-ball is going to be top notch. They should be ranked top 15, at least top 20.

Go Dawgs!!!

That was the team that went to the Sweet 16, that was the most exciting season in Saluki history. I will never forget watching the Salukis come back from being down 30-11 to Georgia in the second round of the tournament in Chicago. They spanked the Bulldogs that day, spanked Bobby Knights Texas Tech team two nights before, and gave Uconn a run for their money before bowing out against the Huskies(A team with Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafor on it, among others).

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 08:09 PM)
That was the team that went to the Sweet 16, that was the most exciting season in Saluki history. I will never forget watching the Salukis come back from being down 30-11 to Georgia in the second round of the tournament in Chicago. They spanked the Bulldogs that day, spanked Bobby Knights Texas Tech team two nights before, and gave Uconn a run for their money before bowing out against the Huskies(A team with Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafor on it, among others).

Yeah, Caron Butler hurt us with a couple of shots late in the game. My SR year, SIU made some noise in the NIT. Figures I would miss the great season of 01-02.

I'm gonna try and get down there for the 12/20 game at the SIU Arena against Central Michigan this year if I can.

Good stuff. To be honest, it's really hard for me to get into the football program down here but I really wanted to win this game, I think it's just a very cool thing for the program. I really can't wait for college bball season to start though and December 17th is definitely marked on my calendar. GO DAWGS!!!

QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 09:56 AM)
IU taking the heat off the illini, thanks hoosiers.

Not sure how you figure that. IU, who is a very shaky team in the first place loses a game in which they lose their head coach to brain surgery a few days before. Saturday's result certainly shouldn't shock anyone.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 01:09 PM)
In our home opener of my freshmen year ('04 when NIU made a bowl and won), SIU came up here and missed a 2 with less than a minute left to lose to us 23-22 at Huskie Stadium. Congrats to you NIU fans on getting a huge win like this now, enjoy it.

yup, that was my sophomore season, but I'm sure you meant to say "SIU" fans in the final sentence there.

I will never forget that NIU season though, with Michael Turner torching the NCAA and us being ranked as high as 12th in the nation (though in hindsight, that might have been pushing it.)

The Score broadcasted from the opening in from of the Stephenson Dorms, and NCAA College Gameday broadcasted from NIU as well... just absolutely an awesome season and made us feel like our team was on the map.

-- kind of made me sad on Saturday when I went back to my almamatter to see my boys beat Buffalo... start 0-2 and all the fairweathers don't bother to show up... fewest people I've seen at a game in three years.