Denver Post reporter...

SoxFan1

Konerko gets booed after just about every plate appearance but you don't see him making stupid comments like "These fans must not know anything about baseball.....I'm trying real hard up there."

I haven't heard PK booed yet.

Unfair slam at MB.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard the boos loud and clear and I'm quite sure PK has heard them too.

And how was that an unfair slam at MB? Did he or did he not say that the fans must not know anything about baseball? You can't even say he said it out of frustration because the next day in the paper he was asked if he regretted saying that and he said no because he didn't think he said anything that bad. Nice comments there, Mark.

Mark Wohlers?  Rick Ankiel? John Rocker?

All pitchers yes, but I believe their descent was as fast as is possible.

You can also point to Steve Sax and Chuck Knoblauch, but their problems were throwing. Sometimes a guy gets it into his head that he can't throw and voila! He can't throw. The same problem in hitting is very rare.

Sounds like you are starting to come around roman.  Keep in mind that "all his St. Louis comments" consisted of two off the cuff comments at a sports writer's banquet IN St. Louis. 

I think he should be a bit more careful about what he says myself and I didn't agree with his latest comments, but I don't think he should be crucified either.  The St. Louis comments, however questionable they may have been in judgement, are harmless because he is with the Sox through 2006 anyway.  I know Mark enough to know that I can guarantee he would never let the idea of pitching in another city years down the road affect what he is doing now. 

I think he recent comments, although misguided, should be taken with a grain of salt since they were made out of frustration.  As long as those type of comments don't become the norm, then I don't see a problem with Mark at all.

I do think that Mark got screwed up in the head and that has been the bulk of his problems.  The lack of run support and defense has made him change the way he pitches and that has snowballed.  A guy like Mark, without overpowering stuff, has to be precise.  Anyone that has ever pitched before knows that to be precise you have to be confident and be able to let it fly without reservations.  If you try to guide or aim the ball, you will get nothing but bad results.  I think Mark has lost confidence and subconsciously started aiming the ball, trying to be too perfect.  It has resulted in more walks and more hittable pitches and teams have taken advantage.

As Mark (and perhaps he already has) regains his confidence and can go out there and just throw like he can without anything else affecting his brain, then he'll be fine.  The athlete's psyche is very fragile and anything from a lack of run support, to bad defense, to making a couple of s***ty pitches, to getting hit hard, to the burden of being an ace can screw things up when he is not going well.  Most of the time the athlete doesn't even realize this whole process is happening and then, when he does, he finds that trying too hard to correct can magnify it, rather than fix it.

In the end, I think you will see Mark be a solid pitcher for the Sox.  Is he a potential 20-game winner every year?  Maybe not  Is he worth Zito type money? Probably not  But I think Sox fans will be proud to have MB having been a pitcher for the White Sox when all is said and done.

OK, so probably he was just sucking up to the Cards. You wouldnt want to go to a Cardinal banquet and say "You guys suck and I never wanna pitch for you" that would be kinda insulting. If youre invited, you should go and show some respect. I didnt hear exactly what he said so maybe it wasnt so bad.

And I think that those comments were made around the time we had the contract failures with him. So they were probably, like you said, just out of frustration. Kinda like bmr saying Colon sucked last nite. He didnt mean it he was just frustrated.

I dont care too much for Buehrle and Im truly disappointed at his failure this year, but I wont root for him to lose 20 and I hope he can recover...

Roman said: "I dont care too much for Buehrle and Im truly disappointed at his failure this year, but I wont root for him to lose 20 and I hope he can recover..."

Wow, Roman I'm proud of ya.

That wasn't too mean a comment about MB. Now don't ya feel much better? I feel better about you.

Doesn't it feel better to not hate MB so much?

roman, just for clarification....

He was at a banquet put on for/by the St. Louis Baseball Writers, not the Cardinals. He was honored at the banquet as were several Cardinal players.

His comments about playing in St. Louis were of-the-cuff remarks to people in St. Louis attending the banquet. They were not part of any press conference, they were not said directly to Cardinal management, etc. The first time I believe they were said in response to someone asking Tony LaRussa if he would like to have Mark pitch for him and LaRussa replied that he would (wouldn't you if you were a major league manager?). Mark simply replied that it would be great to play in St. Louis for the Cardinals in front of the home folks.

I am paraphrasing here, but that was the gist of the comments. The 2nd year he basically responded to the same question from someone about playing for the hometown team.

I wouldn't read that much into them, but I do agree that Mark could have been a little smarter by not making a similar comment (albeit harmless in his mind) for the 2nd year in a row.

Konerko gets booed after just about every plate appearance but you don't see him making stupid comments like "These fans must not know anything about baseball.....I'm trying real hard up there."

Hopefully Paul has learned how to shut his yap.

And, just for the record, anyone who would boo Mark doesn't know jack about baseball, IMO, anyways, so in this instance, he's correct.

And, just for the record, anyone who would boo Mark doesn't know jack about baseball, IMO, anyways, so in this instance, he's correct.

I really do not see a reason to boo any of our players, but that is just me. Baseball is a game and is supposed to be a way to relax. So do it , people. We suck, so what.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Sounds like you are starting to come around roman.  Keep in mind that "all his St. Louis comments" consisted of two off the cuff comments at a sports writer's banquet IN St. Louis. 

I think he should be a bit more careful about what he says myself and I didn't agree with his latest comments, but I don't think he should be crucified either.  The St. Louis comments, however questionable they may have been in judgement, are harmless because he is with the Sox through 2006 anyway.  I know Mark enough to know that I can guarantee he would never let the idea of pitching in another city years down the road affect what he is doing now. 

I think he recent comments, although misguided, should be taken with a grain of salt since they were made out of frustration.  As long as those type of comments don't become the norm, then I don't see a problem with Mark at all.

I do think that Mark got screwed up in the head and that has been the bulk of his problems.  The lack of run support and defense has made him change the way he pitches and that has snowballed.  A guy like Mark, without overpowering stuff, has to be precise.  Anyone that has ever pitched before knows that to be precise you have to be confident and be able to let it fly without reservations.  If you try to guide or aim the ball, you will get nothing but bad results.  I think Mark has lost confidence and subconsciously started aiming the ball, trying to be too perfect.  It has resulted in more walks and more hittable pitches and teams have taken advantage.

As Mark (and perhaps he already has) regains his confidence and can go out there and just throw like he can without anything else affecting his brain, then he'll be fine.  The athlete's psyche is very fragile and anything from a lack of run support, to bad defense, to making a couple of s***ty pitches, to getting hit hard, to the burden of being an ace can screw things up when he is not going well.  Most of the time the athlete doesn't even realize this whole process is happening and then, when he does, he finds that trying too hard to correct can magnify it, rather than fix it.

In the end, I think you will see Mark be a solid pitcher for the Sox.  Is he a potential 20-game winner every year?  Maybe not  Is he worth Zito type money? Probably not  But I think Sox fans will be proud to have MB having been a pitcher for the White Sox when all is said and done.

OK, so probably he was just sucking up to the Cards. You wouldnt want to go to a Cardinal banquet and say "You guys suck and I never wanna pitch for you" that would be kinda insulting. If youre invited, you should go and show some respect. I didnt hear exactly what he said so maybe it wasnt so bad.

And I think that those comments were made around the time we had the contract failures with him. So they were probably, like you said, just out of frustration. Kinda like bmr saying Colon sucked last nite. He didnt mean it he was just frustrated.

I dont care too much for Buehrle and Im truly disappointed at his failure this year, but I wont root for him to lose 20 and I hope he can recover...

roman one question...how did you feel about paulies comments on frank when frank wasnt doing so good and paulie made a stink about it in the press?????? ....did ya hate paulie for it cause frank is your guy.......... ;) just curious ..........

I believe Paulie will turn it around and will always support him.  I'm sure everyone here loved him last year when he was almost single-handedly winning games for us.  Sure, he tailed off in the 2nd half but he did have an injury that contributed to that.  This is the first year he's really off. 

What games have you been at..?

Even last night.. no boos.

I've heard the boos loud and clear and I'm quite sure PK has heard them too.

And how was that an unfair slam at MB?  Did he or did he not say that the fans must not know anything about baseball?  You can't even say he said it out of frustration because the next day in the paper he was asked if he regretted saying that and he said no because he didn't think he said anything that bad.  Nice comments there, Mark

When? Where? Not at Comiskey when I've been there.

The thing about Paul and the Chicago fans is that he is very enduring. He's a nice guy. Clean cut. Very personable, etc.. They WANT him to do well. They WANT him to be a leader. They like that he has balls, will speak up, and so on and so forth. They were cheering him on loud and clear last night.

I was at a game not too long ago and there were a lot of boos. I've also heard them on TV too. I actually would hope the fans wouldn't boo him because he is one of the most personable guys on the team and you know he's trying his ass off.

I'd say the same thing about Mark Buehrle -- I would never boo him but I also don't like the fact that he made some idiotic comments about the people who did boo him. You might feel that way inside, but don't say it to the media where the fans will hear it. In case Mark has forgotten, he's playing FOR the fans and we're the ones paying to see him perform.

I was at a game not too long ago and there were a lot of boos.  I've also heard them on TV too.  I actually would hope the fans wouldn't boo him because he is one of the most personable guys on the team and you know he's trying his ass off. 

I'd say the same thing about Mark Buehrle -- I would never boo him but I also don't like the fact that he made some idiotic comments about the people who did boo him.  You might feel that way inside, but don't say it to the media where the fans will hear it.  In case Mark has forgotten, he's playing FOR the fans and we're the ones paying to see him perform.

I dunno then. 23 games and I have yet to hear boos for Paul :huh:

Mark Wohlers?  Rick Ankiel? John Rocker?

All pitchers yes, but I believe their descent was as fast as is possible.

Good call on all these guys!

Judging by the three you listed, maybe Paulie has a mental problem???

Cuz all three of these guys seem to have a screw loose... :huh:

Wohlers and Ankiel aren't hate-filled jackasses like Rocker, but the elevator seems to stop a few floors too low!!

Im not picking on Buehrle, but no matter who you are, 3-10 with a 4.85 ERA makes you fair game for booing. If anyone was doing so poorly, especially when hes supposed to be the staff ace, he should expect to get booed...

Guest hotsoxchick1

Im not picking on Buehrle, but no matter who you are, 3-10 with a 4.85 ERA makes you fair game for booing. If anyone was doing so poorly, especially when hes supposed to be the staff ace, he should expect to get booed...

you didnt answer my question yet roman.........im waiting ..........

roman one question...how did you feel about paulies comments on frank when frank wasnt doing so good and paulie made a stink about it in the press?????? ....did ya hate paulie for it cause frank is your guy.......... ;) just curious ..........

Yes I did hsc. And Ive made it clear that Im no fan of PKs. And this year isnt helping him get out of the doghouse. I wish him the best, mainly because it might get our offense out of this rut, but he just hasnt had it at all. Heck, hes sucked this season from opening day...

Gee... maybe it's his hip..  :huh:

Regarding PK's hip... This was in Teddy Greenstien's "mailbag" on the Trib site:

Teddy, I have repeatedly heard rumors that Paul Konerko's problems this year have been caused by a degenerative hip condition. If this is true, it would be devastating news - particularly in light of the big contract the Sox gave him in the off-season. Any truth to the rumor? --Michael Foley, Downers Grover, Ill.

I asked Konerko about this. He says all his body parts are intact, thank you very much.

Is Paulie BS'ing Greenstien, or what? Anyone know for sure?