Buehrle

aboz56

Perhaps one of the biggest decisions in the offseason for KW is whether or not to pick up the option for Mark Buehrle for 2007.

The deal is a 9.5 million dollar option or take a million dollar buyout.

The choices would be to take the buyout, exercise the option or perhaps approach Buehrle's agent about a multiyear contract and scrap the option for 2007.

This would have appeared to be a no-brainer but after the way Buehrle has pitched this season, it's not.

Personally I think Buehrle pitched like a guy coming off a WS ring this year and didn't put the offseason work in to be as good as he could have been this season.

Whether or not he can bounce back is a question KW will have to ponder when determining whether or not to exercise the option.

So what's gonna happen with Buehrle is a pretty big question heading into the offseason.

I'm interested to get the take of Soxtalkers on this and I'll leave my Buehrle love bias out of it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 06:21 PM)
The thing that pisses me off about Buehrle that he admitted that there was a bit of a hangover from last year and some guys weren't as into it as last year. Personally, I'd see if I could get Zito before I decide to use the option on Buehrle if that's possible. Actually, I'd love to see two lefties in this rotation though.

I was thinking the Sox could possibly be interested in Mark Mulder on an incentive laden deal for 2007.

He won't be ready until perhaps May or June as he's coming off rotator cuff surgery.

I don't think he's going to command a huge deal and if the medical reports on him look decent, I think he's a possibility.

As far as Zito goes, he's going to be the biggest FA pitcher out there and will get in the 5/75 range if you ask me.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 05:24 PM)
I was thinking the Sox could possibly be interested in Mark Mulder on an incentive laden deal for 2007.

'[Cardinals starter Mark] Mulder wouldn't even make my team,'' Guillen said. ''He couldn't start for us, and he's not better than [Neal] Cotts or [Matt] Thornton in our bullpen."

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 06:26 PM)
'[Cardinals starter Mark] Mulder wouldn't even make my team,'' Guillen said. ''He couldn't start for us, and he's not better than [Neal] Cotts or [Matt] Thornton in our bullpen."

He's not in charge of who puts together the team.

And yes, he's better than Cotts and Thornton.

He wasn't healthy this year, simple as that.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 05:24 PM)

He won't be ready until perhaps May or June as he's coming off rotator cuff surgery.

I don't think he's going to command a huge deal and if the medical reports on him look decent, I think he's a possibility.

As far as Zito goes, he's going to be the biggest FA pitcher out there and will get in the 5/75 range if you ask me.

I agree on the Mulder thing, but apparently, he's a bad idea because he's going to miss a whole month of the season next year...well that's according to some Soxtalk posters.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 05:26 PM)

If the Blizzard of Oz said that, he must be on rocks. Only reason Mulder wasn't better than them was because of the injury.

its easy to say in hindsight, but i said it after last year and got laughed at....if the sox are gonna deal buerhle, they shoulda done it last year...all those innings were bound to catch up to him, and you gotta deal when guys stock is higher than it will be the following season....beane did it with mulder and hudson...its one reason why crede should for sure be considered being dealt this offseason

Absolutely no way you do not pick Buehrle's option up.

The decision is what you do with Buehrle after 2007. He is a free agent that year.

If you hold onto Buehrle without signing him to an extension, the most you'll get for him is a couple compensatory draft picks. Which is significantly lower than Buehrle's value right now.

I think you have to sign Mark Buehrle to an extension this offseason if you feel there's a good chance he'll return to his pre-June 06 form. If you think he's a 4.50 ERA pitcher for the rest of his career, you deal him now while his stock is still at its peak and he could bring back top-caliber players.

Personally, I try to re-sign him to an extension unless his demands are through the roof...and after this season, I think they might soften a little bit.

But there are 2 things that should not happen. Mark Buehrle's should not be a free agent this season. And Mark Buehrle should not start the next season pitching for the White Sox without an extension.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 10:31 PM)
I agree on the Mulder thing, but apparently, he's a bad idea because he's going to miss a whole month of the season next year...well that's according to some Soxtalk posters.

No, it's because the fall was going to come even without the injury. His last year in Oakland, he gave up a career high in homers, a career high in walks, and a K/BB ratio that was under two, not to mention the fact that he finished with a 4.43 ERA, which is only slightly above league average. He was good last year in St Louis, but I'm questioning whether or not that would hold up in the AL.

Oh, and there's the fact that I think the Sox should aim higher than relying on a hope and a prayer that Mulder heals fully from his injury.

And then there's the fact that Mulder, according to some St Louis and Oakland fans that I've read over at BTF, is apparently a pretty stubborn pitcher who didn't change his mechanics despite pleading from his pitching coaches.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 06:25 PM)
Anyone who says Mark Buehrle's option shouldn't be picked up is out of their mind. If we let him go he'd sign somewhere else for about whatever Zito gets this offseason.

Yeah, worst case scenario would be he signs with some American League Central team and dominates us. Frank and Maggs have basically taken us out of the playoffs the last 4 games.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 07:27 PM)
Yeah, worst case scenario would be he signs with some American League Central team and dominates us. Frank and Maggs have basically taken us out of the playoffs the last 4 games.

Pushaw, how would a left handed junk pitcher ever stop this lineup?

Seriously though, for the price, the option has to be picked up. Zito is a very slim possibilty and there aren't many other lefty options.

I won't say bye to Buehrle but how do you not change something in your preparation when you give up runs in almost every 1st inning of every start? I think he is one of those guys who maybe got a little too content with last year. I'm not behind the scenes though and Kenny would know those kind of things, so I trust him to make the call