Rush not in R&R HoF??

Texsox

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
Bob plays the harmonica like pure s***? What in the hell kind of Bob Dylan fan are you? :D

Seriously though, that's the most ignorant thing that I've heard all year. No offense to you, as you stated that you like to listen to him when he plays, but those dudes that you've been talking to should be written off as straight-up motherf***ing retards. Good God.

If you want to learn how to play the harmonica, most will tell you that Bob Dylan can't play it worth s***. He makes it work in his music, but the "ignorance" here is denial. He's a s***ty harmonica player. There's no point in arguing anyway. I love to listen to his version of the harmonica.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 11:15 AM)
I'm going to have the guts to come out and say this:

I have listened to a whole bunch of Rush than I have of Bob Dylan.

To discredit Rush and what they have accomplished in their time, regardless of how you feel about them and your personal taste, makes about as much sense as discrediting Dylan. I would lay every single one of my yearly paychecks on the fact that Rush has probably influenced damn near just as many people worldiwde as Dylan has directly. I would lay money on it that almost every Metal band out there (remember, drop your personal bias about possibly disliking Metal) will cite Rush as an influence, and many of them will not cite Dylan. I would also lay money on it that many drummers out there will admit to an admiration for Peart.

Arguing over Rush being better or greater or whatever than Dylan, and vice versa is silly. No Rush was not going to have the political significance that Dylan had, but NO BAND did in the 70's.

Geez kids, argue over who was better, Led Zep or Rush. Or argue Dylan vs. The Byrds. Arguing Rush against Dylan is like arguing Backstreet Boys against Burzum.

I'll take that bet. And I want the money in cash. You don't become a living legend because you influenced a couple of bands here or there. You become a living legend because you're f***ing Bob Dylan. The influence he's made stretches beyond just music, my friend.

Edited by BobDylan

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geddy Lee

Bass Hall of Fame - Guitar Player Magazine

6 time winner: "Best Rock Bass" - Guitar Player Magazine

1993 - "Best Rock Bass Player" Bass Player readers' poll

1994 - Juno Hall of Fame

1996 - Officer of the Order of Canada, along with fellow bandmates Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart.

Alex Lifeson

1983 - "Best Rock Talent" - Guitar for the Practicing Musician

1991 - Inducted into the Guitar for the Practicing Musician Hall of Fame

1996 - Officer of the Order of Canada, along with fellow bandmates Geddy Lee and Neil Peart

[edit]

Neil Peart

Hall of Fame: 1983

Best Rock Drummer: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 2006 (won vote count, but ineligible)

Best Multi-Percussionist: 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986

Best Percussion Instrumentalist: 1982

Most Promising New Drummer: 1980

Best All Around: 1986

1986 Honor Roll: Rock Drummer, Multi-Percussion

(As a member of the Honor Roll in these categories, he is no longer eligible for votes in the above categories.)

Best Instructional Video: 2006, for Anatomy of A Drum Solo

Best Recorded Performance:

1980: Permanent Waves

1981: Moving Pictures

1982: Exit...Stage Left

1983: Signals

1985: Grace Under Pressure

1986: Power Windows

1988: Hold Your Fire

1989: A Show of Hands

1990: Presto

1992: Roll the Bones

1993: Counterparts

1997: Test for Echo

1999: Different Stages

2002: Vapor Trails

2004: R30

Along with his bandmates Lee and Lifeson, Peart was made an Officer of the Order of Canada on May 9, 1996. The trio were the first rock musicians so honoured.

[edit]From Wikipedia

Over 30 years of activity has provided Rush with the opportunity for musical diversity across their discography. Like many bands known for experimentation, such changes have inevitably resulted in strong dissent among critics and fans. The bulk of the band's music has always included synthetic instruments in some form or another, and this, more than anything else, is a great source of contention in the Rush camp, especially in regard to the band's heavy reliance on synthesizers and keyboards during the 1980s[35] [36]. Still, many saw this as nothing less than artistic growth and support for the band remained unwavering through each transitional phase[13].

Due to this ongoing controversy over Rush, they have yet to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The members of Rush have themselves noted that people "either love Rush or hate Rush", resulting in strong detractors and an intensely loyal fan base. Rolling Stone has often been blamed for their inability to enter the Hall[37]. The Hall's refusal to induct Rush may also be a consequence of the band's insistence on remaining outside the mainstream of rock when it comes to self-promotion, in favour of maintaining a high degree of independence[38]. To this day fans earnestly clamor for the band's inclusion into the Hall by citing noteworthy accomplishments including longevity, proficiency, and influence, as well as commercial sales figures and RIAA certifications. Also, despite having completely dropped out of the public eye for five years after Test for Echo and the band being relegated almost solely to classic rock stations in the U.S., Vapor Trails reached #6 on the Billboard Chart in its first week of release in 2002. The subsequent Vapor Trails tour grossed over $24 million and included the largest audience ever to see a Rush show — 60,000 fans in São Paulo, Brazil. However, Vapor Trails remains the band's poorest-selling album to date. Rush in Rio (2003) was certified gold by the RIAA, marking the fourth decade in which a Rush album had been released and certified at least gold. Moreover, in 2004 Feedback cracked the top twenty on the Billboard 200 chart, in addition to receiving radio airplay.

You don't have to like them, but to say they suck and have only influenced bad bands is wrong. Rush shows are known for having a lot of musicians in the audience. These 3 whether you want to believe it or not, influence someone whenever they play their instruments.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 07:01 PM)
Thank you Mr. Allen.

Everybody I know of personally atleast likes Rush.

As for Dylan.

I can't name one person I know of who owns anything by or even likes him. :huh

I am probably responsible for the comparision of Dylan and Rush by taking a jab at the poster Bob Dylan after he popped off that Rush sucked. I'm not a fan of Dylan the musician. I just could never really get into his stuff. Music isn't like sports though. Just because you don't like a particular style of music doesn't mean it sucks, and I took offense to his summarily dismissing Rush's 30+ year career as sucks, even going so far as to state Styx is better. In sports, its pretty obvious when a team or individual suck. The thread was about the R and R HoF, something which Dylan is, and deservedly so, a member, even if I'm not an admirer of his material, and something which Rush certainly deserves to be a part of, but longevity, success, fan base, and performance have thus far been ignored by whoever it is who decides who belongs. I don't like every Rush song ever recorded. I'm a huge fan, but they have a few that I absolutely hate. One in particular they insist on playing every tour, and its my personal bathroom break. I never meant for this to be a Dylan vs. Rush argument, you really can't compare the two.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 07:22 PM)
I never meant for this to be a Dylan vs. Rush argument, you really can't compare the two.

Exactly what I meant in an earlier quote where I said it was like comparing Backstreet Boys (dance Pop band) to Burzum (extreme Norwegian Black Metal where main man Vark Vickerness is in jail for murdering another Black Metal guy because he wasn't "extreme" enough).

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 08:30 PM)
. . . Burzum (extreme Norwegian Black Metal where main man Vark Vickerness is in jail for murdering another Black Metal guy because he wasn't "extreme" enough).

See? Where did all the bands with uplifting messages like this go these days. . . ?

LOL! Actually, Varg's mom even said that Varg was right in his crime because the other guy was a sissy.

Varg later broke out of jail, assisted in burning down some more churches in Norway (if you remember earlier in the 90's there was a rash of Churches being burned down in Norway, it was Varg), and was finally pulled over by the cops. Word had it that he had enough weaponry in his car to supply a large militia movement! Bombs, guns, knives, you name it.

For joyful reading...read up on Varg:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varg_Vikernes

(or read the book The Lords Of Chaos and learn to really love your own personal music tastes!)

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 07:01 PM)
Thank you Mr. Allen.

Everybody I know of personally atleast likes Rush.

As for Dylan.

I can't name one person I know of who owns anything by or even likes him. :huh

Yeah, you can.

:o :ph34r: :)

Granted, I only ever owned one cassette single by him, "Jokerman" (God, I love that song).

*Cassette singles.....remember THAT???? What a waste of money! :lol: *

I also love "Positively 4th Street", "When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky" (although I like Jeff Healey's version better) and his original version of "All Along The Watchtower".

But I do love Rush MUCH more. I own 5 Rush discs and the Chronicles best-of set. Power Windows is a particularly underrated disc. Great stuff.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 07:51 PM)
(or read the book The Lords Of Chaos and learn to really love your own personal music tastes!)

I have that book, it's a good yet depressing read.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 06:20 PM)
Geddy Lee

You don't have to like them, but to say they suck and have only influenced bad bands is wrong. Rush shows are known for having a lot of musicians in the audience. These 3 whether you want to believe it or not, influence someone whenever they play their instruments.

Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

how many notes you can play in 10 seconds means nothing to me, its not how many notes you can play, its knowing how many you should play. And that to me, is why rush, and most of prog, is useless in the history of music.

QUOTE(bmags @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 11:20 PM)
how many notes you can play in 10 seconds means nothing to me, its not how many notes you can play, its knowing how many you should play. And that to me, is why rush, and most of prog, is useless in the history of music.

Dang, not a big fan of Keith Moon then either, are you? Now there's a guy who always managed to squeeze more notes into a bar of music than any rational drummer would have. And he also pulled it off brilliantly.

QUOTE(bmags @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 10:20 PM)

Rush has many songs which are relatively minimal, and those are the songs I tend to like by them.

I wouldn't call myself a fan of prog by any stretch, but Rush has always appealed to me. I like Neil Peart's drumming and a lot of his lyrics, Alex Lifeson is a very good guitarist, and Geddy Lee's voice got much better to me once he stopped going for the high notes all the time.

Again, I'll recommend my favorite Rush disc, Power Windows, as an example of Rush not trying to squeeze too many notes into the songs. Songs like "Big Money", "Grand Designs" and "Manhattan Project" are just good, well-written rock songs.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 09:32 PM)
I can't believe we could be comparing Dylan and Rush. Two very different acts.

I can't believe the amount of bile that is being spewed in this thread... I though music was about personal taste and preference? That's why I could never really get into the arts, because there really isn't "an answer" to anything, yet there is always someone to tell me how good/bad it is. What sucks for one person, is played at someone else's wedding, and there is no way to actually say that something isn't any good by any real system of measurement.

I really like both Bob Dylan and Rush. I must be the worlds biggest idiot and genius all at the sametime.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2006 -> 07:22 AM)
I can't believe the amount of bile that is being spewed in this thread... I though music was about personal taste and preference? That's why I could never really get into the arts, because there really isn't "an answer" to anything, yet there is always someone to tell me how good/bad it is. What sucks for one person, is played at someone else's wedding, and there is no way to actually say that something isn't any good by any real system of measurement.

I really like both Bob Dylan and Rush. I must be the worlds biggest idiot and genius all at the sametime.

You're cool. I like you.

Rush could have very possibly written 30 years of crap. But in those 30 years they wrote "Spirit Of The Radio", and for that they belong in the Hall Of Fame. IMO.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 4, 2006 -> 07:25 AM)
You're cool. I like you.

Rush could have very possibly written 30 years of crap. But in those 30 years they wrote "Spirit Of The Radio", and for that they belong in the Hall Of Fame. IMO.

I wonder what value there is in staying together for 30 years, something more commercially sucessful groups could not.

LOL, I was listening to Spirit of the Radio as I was writing this. It has survived the test of time very well.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 4, 2006 -> 07:36 AM)
I wonder what value there is in staying together for 30 years, something more commercially sucessful groups could not.

LOL, I was listening to Spirit of the Radio as I was writing this. It has survived the test of time very well.

His one "yeah" in there is one of the coolest vocal moments ever, IMO. That bit right there completely destroys anybody who thinks they don't do their music with feeling and passion. It's so natural, and so damn perfectly said.