Why are Cub fans soooo in love with Girardi?

Kid Gleason

Two Cub fans here at work were saying how great it would be if they could get Joe as their bench coach. Well, one was saying that and the other said that they got one yesterday, but he couldn't remember who. I told him. They both had a bit of a "Joe would be so much better". Why are they all so in love with the guy? Yeah, he may have done good this year, but the Cubs are actually lining up their staff like a REAL team, so why do they all still want Joe? I know the standard "idiot" answer probably applies, but do you think we Sox fans, if searching for a new manager, would be dying for a Girardi over people like Lou and Trammel?

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 08:16 AM)
Two Cub fans here at work were saying how great it would be if they could get Joe as their bench coach. Well, one was saying that and the other said that they got one yesterday, but he couldn't remember who. I told him. They both had a bit of a "Joe would be so much better". Why are they all so in love with the guy? Yeah, he may have done good this year, but the Cubs are actually lining up their staff like a REAL team, so why do they all still want Joe? I know the standard "idiot" answer probably applies, but do you think we Sox fans, if searching for a new manager, would be dying for a Girardi over people like Lou and Trammel?

Trammel and his 43-119 season in 2003 isn't much to look at, but as for Girardi, they obviously love him since he's a millitary style douchebag who went a mighty 79-83 in maybe the worst version of the NL in baseball history with a ton of young talent, while badly injuring Scott Olsen and trying to move virtually every player on the team to a new position before the GM didn't allow it. All that and he's a conservative, wimpy ass in game manager that bunts all the time and plays the appendage game to save his own ass. Sounds like a winner to me!!

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 08:33 AM)
Trammel and his 43-119 season in 2003 isn't much to look at, but as for Girardi, they obviously love him since he's a millitary style douchebag who went a mighty 79-83 in maybe the worst version of the NL in baseball history with a ton of young talent, while badly injuring Scott Olsen and trying to move virtually every player on the team to a new position before the GM didn't allow it. All that and he's a conservative, wimpy ass in game manager that bunts all the time and plays the appendage game to save his own ass. Sounds like a winner to me!!

Wow, hate Girardi much?

Edited by MHizzle85

as an outsider to the Cubs fandom, I see Giradi as an inspired choice. Something little different.

No one really gave the Marlins a chance, but he managed them to respectablity this year. One year fluke? maybe, but whats the Cubs got to lose

With Pinella, I see a tired. uninspried, 'same ol same ol' choice. But again, what does the Cub franchise got to lose here. When things are down, you can take bets and when Lou will blow up on an umpire

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 08:26 PM)
as an outsider to the Cubs fandom, I see Giradi as an inspired choice. Something little different.

No one really gave the Marlins a chance, but he managed them to respectablity this year. One year fluke? maybe, but whats the Cubs got to lose

With Pinella, I see a tired. uninspried, 'same ol same ol' choice. But again, what does the Cub franchise got to lose here. When things are down, you can take bets and when Lou will blow up on an umpire

The way my Cub fan friends saw it was that Piniella at least indicates an urgency to try to win now. He's an older manager who likely wouldn't take the job without some assurance from management that they'll try to acquire proven veterans.

Girardi would have signalled the likelihood of a youth movement, and that phrase is like a kick in the nuts to Cub fans. They've waited long enough, at least the ones I know have.

What my friends were fearing most was a no-name, inexpensive, minor-league callup type of manager. A Pat Listach or someone like that. They're happy they didn't have that happen.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 08:11 PM)
It's either hate or recognizing Girardi for what he is.

The 2nd one. Cubs fans should be overjoyed that they didn't get Girardi, best move they've made in ages.

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 08:26 PM)

You could be right on Pinella, but don't kid yourself on Girardi. That myth that he pulled off a miracle last year is just that, a myth. The level of young talent that Marlins team had was incredible, their GM did an incredibly job turning a fire sale into an immediate positive. Girardi's in game managing disasters and general doucehbaggery in the clubhouse and even towards his manager might very well be the reason they didn't survive to October.

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 07:50 PM)
Just a guess but I assume they have no clue who anyone is if they either aren't or never were Cubs. Girardi was a Cub, "I remember him, let's bring him in!"

That's pretty much what it comes down to. I wonder how many Cub fans know who Trammell is. Not many.

I think the reason cubs fans wanted Girardi is as follows:

Every manager brought into the Cubs since World War I has not done the job. They have not won a World Series, they constantly underperform, and generally the managers they get are some of the worst in baseball.

After watching Dusty "We Trusty" Baker, who was supposed to be a godsend, they just want a coach that they can get behind. Girardi is from Northwestern, was drafted and played for the Cubs, and is one of "them".

Its just like why the Sox wanted Ozzie, he did not have the accolades of other managers, but he was a White Sox product.

The are 2 main reasons why I would have wanted Girardi if I was a Cub fan,

1) He understands the legacy of failure, and you know he would take it personally trying to get the Cubs winning.

2) He would represent a long term coach, unlike Pinella. Sweet Lou is going to come in and try and win immediately, but the problem is the Cubs just do not have the team to do that with anymore. Their pitching went from dominant a few years ago to a huge question mark with only Zambrano being a guy you can count on. Girardi would have signaled a manager who could conceivably have been there for the rest of his career.

As it is, Pinella just may set back the franchise like Baker did. My guess is he will try and force the GM to unload spects for vets so that they can try and compete for the next 2 years. Then Pinella will leave and the cupboard will be dry.

I like Pinella as a manager, I just think that he needs to inherit a specific type of team to win.

I'm not saying this is the case with Gerardi, but some players will always be affiliated with, or remain part of an organization for life. Look at Ozzie and our entire coaching staff in 05. IMO, those guys are White Sox lifers. I'd rather bring in a lifer who might actually give a toss about the succees of the team, rather than some guy who is just collecting a check and trying to stay above .500.

I don't get it. I'd love to have Joe as a bench coach too. In fact I'd definately prefer him to a guy like Trammell that was a horrible horrible manager.

That said Trammell isn't a bad choice as a bench coach. He played the game hard and is well respected. I think the Cubs have done a tremendous job thus far over the off-season.

Although if I were in charge I'd probably have pushed harder for Bochy because I consider him a better long term choice.