Selig to Retire in 2009

greasywheels121

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 07:21 PM)
Overall Selig has been a damn fine commissioner.

I only give him credit for the Wild Card and restructuring playoff baseball. Besides that he is a liar and a crook and a steroid-cover-upper, IMO. But then again, all of baseball's commissioners have sucked, IMO again.

I still don't understand why Bud Selig gets so much credit for bringing the Wild Card to Major League Baseball, it's not like he invented the damn thing he just took the idea from the NFL. He may have come under fire when he did instate it but anyone with half a brain could see that it was a good idea.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
I still don't understand why Bud Selig gets so much credit for bringing the Wild Card to Major League Baseball, it's not like he invented the damn thing he just took the idea from the NFL. He may have come under fire when he did instate it but anyone with half a brain could see that it was a good idea.

There were a lot people with under half a brain out there at the time.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 08:48 AM)
Meh, I like that idea. It's better than most others to decide home-field advantage.

I still think best record in baseball should decide it, but this is the next best alternative (way better than it used to be with it rotating). And I must agree, it definately makes the ASG more interesting and the last couple ASG's have been pretty damn good.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
I still think best record in baseball should decide it, but this is the next best alternative (way better than it used to be with it rotating). And I must agree, it definately makes the ASG more interesting and the last couple ASG's have been pretty damn good.

I'm not a big fan of it, but it HAS made the game more interesting. How about this idea, though...best head-to-head record? AL vs. NL. Real games, not a mid-season classic.

Selig is a pretty good commish overall, but I hope the next one isn't from baseball itself. No owners...player reps, anything like that. Get someone who can look at both sides objectively.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
I still don't understand why Bud Selig gets so much credit for bringing the Wild Card to Major League Baseball, it's not like he invented the damn thing.

Bill Veeck was actually throwing around the idea long before Selig mattered. The funny thing was that Selig hated Veeck and the idea.

QUOTE(knightni @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 09:32 AM)
2009, just enough time for George W Bush to have had a one year vacation.

Baseball, our national pastime, still lies under the shadow of steroid accusations. But I have faith in Baseball Commissioner George W. Bush when he says, "we will find the steroid users if we have to tap every phone in America."

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 11:12 AM)
I'm not a big fan of it, but it HAS made the game more interesting. How about this idea, though...best head-to-head record? AL vs. NL. Real games, not a mid-season classic.

Selig is a pretty good commish overall, but I hope the next one isn't from baseball itself. No owners...player reps, anything like that. Get someone who can look at both sides objectively.

This idea makes the most sense to me.