Brian Anderson

baseballgal32

I think if KW was going to do anything about CF, we wouldve seen it by now.

If he couldnt turn Garcia and/or McCarthy into some kind of CF answer, then he must not have liked anything much out there that would be available in trade.

unless he wants to find an unproven guy somewhere, he'll go with his own unprovens, BA, Owens, Sweeney.

QUOTE(wsxkid @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 09:01 PM)
I think BA is going to have a good year hit about 270,18 HRs,and 68RBIs.He has alot of talent and it`s time to show it.

I love the optimism, but its only 9:10, you could not have downed that much liquor yet. BA is gonna be good in a couple years, but for this season he is still a .250, 10 HR, 50 RBI guy.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 09:21 PM)
I'm more concerned with his defense than his offense, but, now in his 2nd full season, I expect him to strike out less, and improve that avg to the .250-.260 mark.

His defense? BA is one of the best defensive CF's in baseball. Not THE best, but he is up there. He gets great jumps and makes good lines, has some good speed, is solid with the glove, and has an excellent arm. He is at least on par, if not better than, Rowand was.

His defense doesn't concern me in the least.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 11:01 AM)
His defense? BA is one of the best defensive CF's in baseball. Not THE best, but he is up there. He gets great jumps and makes good lines, has some good speed, is solid with the glove, and has an excellent arm. He is at least on par, if not better than, Rowand was.

His defense doesn't concern me in the least.

I actually remember reading some analysis was rated as the second best CF in the majors, defensively. Juan Uribe was rated as the best SS, FWIW.

Well, it's precisely because of that defense that you guys mention that I think they're going to keep him around for a bit, because that's quite valuable in the pitching/defense scheme we run on. Also, since it'd be stupid to try to get rid of a guy whose current value is nowhere near his ceiling, I'd expect the Brian Anderson Experiment to continue unless he screws something up too bad for it to continue, i.e. doesn't improve AT ALL offensively. I think if he can bat in the .240-.250 AVG range with similar power numbers and a general upward trend going forward, really the Sox offense needs nothing more out of that spot, and we can expect to see him in the outfield for a few years to come, which'd be okay, albeit not ideal.

QUOTE(PAUL KONERKO 14 @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 10:38 AM)
Look in my sig, thats what he will do. Didn't he hit real good in the second half?

This is a common misconception around here. He improved in the second half, but his offensive numbers were still disappointing in that period. It's hard not to improve upon a 180 AB stint where you do not hit .200. BA was striking out less after the All-Star break, but breaking pitches low and away were a big problem for him and most teams knew to pitch him this way. However, most of us realize that it's pretty hard to develop as a rookie with sporadic playing time and bad matchups. So optimism definitely still remains with BA, especially because of his great defense in a very important defensive position.

QUOTE(BMac Attack @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 12:03 PM)
Well, it's precisely because of that defense that you guys mention that I think they're going to keep him around for a bit, because that's quite valuable in the pitching/defense scheme we run on. Also, since it'd be stupid to try to get rid of a guy whose current value is nowhere near his ceiling, I'd expect the Brian Anderson Experiment to continue unless he screws something up too bad for it to continue, i.e. doesn't improve AT ALL offensively. I think if he can bat in the .240-.250 AVG range with similar power numbers and a general upward trend going forward, really the Sox offense needs nothing more out of that spot, and we can expect to see him in the outfield for a few years to come, which'd be okay, albeit not ideal.

Nice first post, and welcome to Soxtalk! :cheers

I think Anderson should be made to earn his keep this year or be sent down. If he plays in spring training like he did early last year, he shouldn't make the team, even if he breaks camp with them, if he has a month in the Majors like his last September he should get a ticket to Charlotte. If needed, the White Sox should go through every player in the system, Sweeney, Torero, Owens - even Nanita, before accepting another season like last year.

That said, he has so much talent that if he were to click he could be on the all star team. He is a tantalizing young player and I hope he makes it but you can't lose another year waiting for him.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 03:59 PM)
I think Anderson should be made to earn his keep this year or be sent down. If he plays in spring training like he did early last year, he shouldn't make the team, even if he breaks camp with them, if he has a month in the Majors like his last September he should get a ticket to Charlotte. If needed, the White Sox should go through every player in the system, Sweeney, Torero, Owens - even Nanita, before accepting another season like last year.

That said, he has so much talent that if he were to click he could be on the all star team. He is a tantalizing young player and I hope he makes it but you can't lose another year waiting for him.

Interestingly, if people recall, I believe Anderson actually put together a pretty good spring training last year. 21/68, home run, .845 OPS in the spring. And he's hit over .300 in ST both years where he was in camp with the big boys. So ST might very well be the least of his concerns. Or so we hope.

He should have a month or two in the big leagues to get going, and by get going, I basically mean hitting in the .230's or so. That's all I want from him to start the season, he doesn't have to be good with the bat, just not bloody awful. With his defense, he should just give us more than an NL team gets out of its 9 hole.

And anyway, in terms of the general topic of this thread...trading Brian Anderson now is a terrible idea. Why? Because right now, Anderson's value is basically as low as it could possibly get unless he hits .160 the next 3 years. Right now, anyone who wants to acquire him will be trying to do so with the hope that they can "Turn him around" and get more out of him than we could because he does have a lot of talent. But teams would do the same thing at the end of next season, and probably the season after that if he's still struggling then. On the other hand, if he can learn a few things somewhere along the line, and put together a good season, then suddenly his value goes right back up.

Think about this...how much would the Sox have cost themselves if they decided to trade Crede in the middle of the 05 season, when he was still struggling before he finally worked the kinks out of his swing (and there was sure a lot of talk about replacing him with Eric Chavez, for example). By holding onto Crede, the Sox saved talent, they suddenly found themselves holding a much more valuable trading chip in Crede, and they've saved themselves over $15 million in the last 2 seasons alone.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 10:15 AM)
This is a common misconception around here. He improved in the second half, but his offensive numbers were still disappointing in that period. It's hard not to improve upon a 180 AB stint where you do not hit .200. BA was striking out less after the All-Star break, but breaking pitches low and away were a big problem for him and most teams knew to pitch him this way. However, most of us realize that it's pretty hard to develop as a rookie with sporadic playing time and bad matchups. So optimism definitely still remains with BA, especially because of his great defense in a very important defensive position.

Maybe you think its a common misconception but BA did show plenty of improvement the second half. Here are some of his splits.

Batting Avg. by month

March/April .161

May .167

June .196

July .313

August .296

Sept./Oct. .200

Before the All-Star break .192

After the All-Star break .257

He had approx. the same number of AB's before and after the AS break. Judging by theses stats ( and I know things don't always go the way we want) I'd have to say BA is capable of hitting .250-.260 over the course of a season. That's not unrealistic expectations.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 05:51 PM)
He had approx. the same number of AB's before and after the AS break. Judging by theses stats ( and I know things don't always go the way we want) I'd have to say BA is capable of hitting .250-.260 over the course of a season. That's not unrealistic expectations.

And I know the numbers don't translate exactly, but in 3 seasons in the minors with us, Anderson hit .306, and he hit .295 in his last full season at Charlotte. The kid has the talent to be a really good hitter, he just needs to learn how to be one in the big leagues.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 06:16 PM)
Interestingly, if people recall, I believe Anderson actually put together a pretty good spring training last year. 21/68, home run, .845 OPS in the spring. And he's hit over .300 in ST both years where he was in camp with the big boys.

Where'd you find Spring Training numbers?

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 07:51 PM)
Maybe you think its a common misconception but BA did show plenty of improvement the second half. Here are some of his splits.

Batting Avg. by month

March/April .161

May .167

June .196

July .313

August .296

Sept./Oct. .200

Before the All-Star break .192

After the All-Star break .257

More often then not, the first time you have sex, you suck; the more you do it, the better you get at it. But improvement doesn't equal quality, it just means you're better than bad. Whoop-dee-s***.

In this instance, Brian's still inexperienced, but he's atleast lost his virginity.

Pretty simple, really.

All 3E8 was trying to say was that it was essentially impossible for him not to improve, and that his improvement doesn't mean he's good or that he's going to be good next year. To expect a .270 average due to a .257 second half average is a bit too optimistic.

Though, on the other hand, it's not too unreasonable to figure that he very well could put up a .270 average. It's just not bloody likely.

I want to see BA everyday until the break. If he still isnt producing, platoon him with Sweeney or whoever.. but dont trade him. I agree with Balta that right now he wouldnt be worth dick anyway, so they might as well just suffer through the growing pains unless they really feel that they have a better option. I just hope to god that they dont feel their better option is Mack.

I think BA has a great future, but talent needs to translate into the numbers people expect. I think he can do that. One year in the bigs is not the comparison you need to satrt with on a guy like BA. After all what if the NY Giants had given up on Willie Mays on his first year?

QUOTE(PAUL KONERKO 14 @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 04:38 PM)
Look in my sig, thats what he will do. Didn't he hit real good in the second half?

After downing lots of liquor as MaggsMaggs suggested in his post I still haven't figured out your sig and I'm pretty good at Wheel of Furtune too. :D