Bill Parcells Retires

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 08:26 AM)
Let's not jump ahead of ourselves. The reason why the Cowboys gave Parcells all the time in the world is because their backup plan, first choice for coach, was someone no one was looking at. It wasn't Lovie Smith. Now will Jerry Jones inquire about Lovie? Probably. He is a coach with deep Texas roots whose been successful so far as a head coach.

The guy I heard a couple of weeks ago, the Cowboys would be looking at is Wade Phillips. Not Lovie. All this Lovie stuff is speculation by others. Other guys the Cowboys supposedly will look into are Jeff Fisher, Bob Stoops and Norv Turner. Pete Carroll might get a call, but I doubt it. Wade Phillips is the early frontrunner though.

Agreed. The main thing I can't really see the Boys changing back to a 4-3 defense, after most of the talent guys they have on D, fit better on the 3-4 D, e.g Ware

Honestly I would love to get Fisher or Cowher, but I think Phillips is most likely going to be the guy. Wouldn't hurt interviewing the likes of Rivera though (but I am annoyed Mike Tomlin is gone).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 02:06 PM)
Agreed. The main thing I can't really see the Boys changing back to a 4-3 defense, after most of the talent guys they have on D, fit better on the 3-4 D, e.g Ware

Honestly I would love to get Fisher or Cowher, but I think Phillips is most likely going to be the guy. Wouldn't hurt interviewing the likes of Rivera though (but I am annoyed Mike Tomlin is gone).

Just wait until Phillips realizes that Rob Johnson doesn't have a starting job anywhere and should be available. He'll be replacing Romo within a few seconds.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 09:36 PM)
I remember hearing some time in the last 2 weeks that if Parcells left, Jones wanted some asst. coach from San Diego, I do not know his name. I can't remember who said it, but it was some analyst who focuses on the NFL.

The guy you are probably trying to think of is Wade Phillips. I don't think he is the one for the job. Rest assured Bears fans Lovie Smith isn't on the list that I saw on a San Antonio TV station as possible replacements for Parcells. They had Norv Turner on top of the list, he was a good offensive coordinator but never thought much of him as a head coach.

It would be very doubtful if Lovie Smith went to the Cowboys, not going to happen.

Edited by whitesox1976

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 11:55 PM)
The guy you are probably trying to think of is Wade Phillips. I don't think he is the one for the job. Rest assured Bears fans Lovie Smith isn't on the list that I saw on a San Antonio TV station as possible replacements for Parcells. They had Norv Turner on top of the list, he was a good offensive coordinator but never thought much of him as a head coach.

It would be very doubtful if Lovie Smith went to the Cowboys, not going to happen.

Nope, Wade is the frontrunner. They want someone to run the 3-4 since they built that team for that the past couple of years. I'm pretty sure Wade will get the job though.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 12:15 PM)
A couple of Tribune writers have picked up on the Lovie to the Big D rumors. I had no idea it was his mother's dream for Lovie to coach the Cowboys.

Must be hard to fill two weeks worth of hype of when you are checking out the net for rumors :bang

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 03:42 PM)
Ah okay.

That makes more sense.

I would not pass on 2 first rounders for lovie.

Id hire Rivera and bring in Mike Singletary as the DC.

Ron Rivera isnt s*** without Lovie. Dont be fooled by the interest in Rivera, Lovie designed and runs that defense. Its his signature defense and he has been running it for many years. He taught Rivera how to run it his way, and the way he ran it in St Louis. You need to pay Lovie his money. Last years coach of the year, and this year in the superbowl? Why the hell would you want draft picks for that?

I think Rivera has added something to Lovie's d.

I also like the fact he coached with the Eagles and learned from Johnson there.

Lovie is a nice coach, I just dont think he is one of those irreplaceable coaches like Bill Walsh.

I like Lovie but if the Cowboys start talking crazy money ($5mil +) I have no problem with seeing Lovie leave for a first rounder or 2.

And its not like Lovie created thet Tampa 2, I believe Kiffin did.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 11:08 AM)
I think Rivera has added something to Lovie's d.

I also like the fact he coached with the Eagles and learned from Johnson there.

Lovie is a nice coach, I just dont think he is one of those irreplaceable coaches like Bill Walsh.

I like Lovie but if the Cowboys start talking crazy money ($5mil +) I have no problem with seeing Lovie leave for a first rounder or 2.

And its not like Lovie created thet Tampa 2, I believe Kiffin did.

I got news for you, the Bears are going to have to offer Lovie 5 million a year. He flat out deserves exactly that. I figure he'll be one of the 5-7 highest paid head coaches in the league once his deal gets announced.

Basically put, 5 mill + is not what I'd consider a ridiculous offer (considering he's proven to be one of the top 7 coaches in the league). IIRC, Lovie was on the original staff that created the Tampa 2 though (Him, Edwards, Dungy, Kiffin, there old dline coach who Lovie always wanted as our DC).

I dont consider Lovie one of the top 5 coaches in the NFL so I dont believe he deserves 5mil per season. I really dont believe many coaches are worth that much money, although since there are no salary cap ramifications many times teams will pay their guy significantly more than the value he is really worth.

As for the tampa 2, its really impossible to say 1 person was behind it. Most will site Dungy, herm edwards, and Kiffin as mainly responsible, others say it was Dungy, Kiffin and Lovie, in the end its really impossible to seperate any of them. But its not very hard to say that Ron Rivera has a clear grasp of the basic concept, plus I like the Johnson wrinkles he adds to it, like blitzing cb's.

I like lovie, i just do not think its realistic that the Bears will pay a coach top dollar. Therefore Id rather get something back for him, then watch him walk in a year.

Lovie certainly shouldn't settle for less than what the new Falcons head coach got, after what he's done over the past couple of seasons.

Norv Turner scares me (after what he did in Oakland), but he's popular in Dallas, either way I could see the Cowboys making a run for him as their new HC or even the OC.

Phillips is still the guy though I think. But if the Boys had permission to speak with Jeff Fisher, I think he would certainly be their 1st choice.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 04:26 PM)
Phillips is still the guy though I think. But if the Boys had permission to speak with Jeff Fisher, I think he would certainly be their 1st choice.

I assume you have already seen that Tennessee denied that, so Phillips would be the #1 choice.

I just wonder if they shouldn't go with a stopgap and then get one of the big names next year.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 02:26 PM)
Lovie certainly shouldn't settle for less than what the new Falcons head coach got, after what he's done over the past couple of seasons.

Norv Turner scares me (after what he did in Oakland), but he's popular in Dallas, either way I could see the Cowboys making a run for him as their new HC or even the OC.

Petrino's contract was terrible considering he has proven nothing at the NFL level.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 10:29 AM)
I assume you have already seen that Tennessee denied that, so Phillips would be the #1 choice.

I just wonder if they shouldn't go with a stopgap and then get one of the big names next year.

That's the bad thing about this situation.

If Parcells stayed on for 1 more season, then we could have our choice of the likes of Cowher, Fisher next season.

And I'm not overly enamored with Phillips, unless he brought in a real good offensive co-ordinator.

If only we had Sean Payton still. :crying

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 11:13 AM)
Petrino's contract was terrible considering he has proven nothing at the NFL level.

Absolutely.

Shows how desperate Arthur Blank is to win though (even though I think Jim Mora Jr. is a pretty good head coach).

I'm not enamored with Phillips at all either unless he hires Mike Martz as his OC which won't happen. Phillips will however be the coach.

For the record, I do think Lovie is a top 7 coach and should get 5 million a year at least. If he wins in 2 weeks, he would have accomplished everything he set after when he first was hired.

And I do think that Lovie is the important part to that defense. Rivera gets too much credit.