The MOMENT of TRUTH has arrived

JUGGERNAUT

Oh comon hasnt there been a "moment of truth" or "its time" thread before every series throughout the season? :rolleyes:

Always be pessimistic, the Sox are gonna roll over on their asses and find themselves at least 7 1/2 games back.

Set your expectations low and hope the team exceeds them. Wish I had followed that advice this season.

:headbang

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hotsoxchick1
have to agree with this

rev......the kool aide is ready............ :o if we cant take a few from the twinkies i see mass drinking ahead........ ;)

Getting to the postseason is a very large step in itself, however, playing in the postseason is an entirely different beast in its own right. You can win in the postseason because you have 2 or 3 very good starting pitchers, a solid bullpen, and a solid offense. If two pitchers get on fire, and another pitches well throughout, you will win a few games and a series or two.

If Buehrle gets hot like he has in the past, and Loaiza gets hot like he did in April, and Colon is Colon(giving us 7 or 8 strong innings), we got a very good shot at getting to the World Series and even winning it. You get Buehrle and Loaiza giving you 8 innings of shutout ball or maybe giving up a run or two, and you can scratch out a couple runs and maybe get an RBI hit here or there, and you win.

To even consider winning the division, we'll need a more solid bullpen then the one we have now. I'm all for trading White-flag, Glover, and Koch if it helps solidify the pen.

I'm worried about Minn.

They swept us last time up there when it looked like we had momentum after sweeping the equally mediocre Orioles in some close exciting games.

I hope we're still in the race at the all star break.

I think I'd take .500 vs. the Twins at this point. If they win all the games, we're finished and it's fire sale time.

I'm worried about Minn.

They swept us last time up there when it looked like we had momentum after sweeping the equally mediocre Orioles in some close exciting games.

I hope we're still in the race at the all star break.

I think I'd take .500 vs. the Twins at this point. If they win all the games, we're finished and it's fire sale time.

If, after these 2 series we are at .500 vs Twins .... for the season, then I'll be happy with .500. But just splitting these 6 games is not good enough.

I just get so damn frustrated.

I watch the Diamondbacks win 7 in a row - I watched the Detoilet Tigers win 5 in a row - I watched the Padres win 8 of 11 - I get PISSED.

Where's the Sox hot streak? According to simple baseball logic and history, every team goes on a hot streak. When the hell is ours?

We need it NOW. I mean NOW. I want the Sox to win 5 of 6 from the Twins, and win all 3 games against the Crumbs this weekend.

I watch the Diamondbacks win 7 in a row - I watched the Detoilet Tigers win 5 in a row - I watched the Padres win 8 of 11 - I get PISSED.

Where's the Sox hot streak?  According to simple baseball logic and history, every team goes on a hot streak.  When the hell is ours?

We need it NOW.  I mean NOW.  I want the Sox to win 5 of 6 from the Twins, and win all 3 games against the Crumbs this weekend.

I'm with you Pastime. OK Sox ... I DEMAND you win 8 out the next 9 games. No excuses, just do it!

Where's the Sox hot streak?  According to simple baseball logic and history, every team goes on a hot streak.  When the hell is ours?

We need it NOW.  I mean NOW.  I want the Sox to win 5 of 6 from the Twins, and win all 3 games against the Crumbs this weekend.

Couldn't agree with you more.

And of course I get up and get the paper this morning and the headline in the Sports is "The Doomsday Dome" More whining from the Sox about why they don't play well up there and why they don't like to play up there. The only person in there who sounds positive is Jerry.Yeah great mindset guys.

Frank Thomas has a theory for why he and his team have fared so poorly at the Metrodome in Minneapolis.

"It just doesn't feel like baseball in that place," he said. "There's no color difference in the [hitting] background. You have those blue seats that go all the way around."

Blue seats, a white roof and a carpeted green playing surface have helped make the Metrodome a black hole for the White Sox.

It might be the only ballpark where the Sox don't even think about a series sweep. Or at least they don't talk about it.

"We just have to try to win at least one there," said left-hander Mark Buehrle, who will start Thursday. "We haven't won there forever."

Said manager Jerry Manuel: "We took two out of three from the Cubs. We need to take this same type of baseball to Minnesota and see if we can win a game."

Despite their 35-40 record, the Sox are a mere 5 1/2 games behind the Twins, the two-time reigning American League Central champs.

You get the feeling the Sox would give up their meal money just to win one game there this week.

They're just 5-17 at the Metrodome since 2000, including a horrific three-game sweep in May during which the Twins outscored them 24-6.

Other than two Jose Valentin homers—his last two this season—the Sox's bats were colder than frozen fish. They hit .235 against a pitching staff that ranks seventh among the American League's 14 teams.

Thomas went 1-for-13. His only hit was an infield single.

But that was Thomas, the designated hitter. Now he's Thomas, the first baseman.

"That's one place I definitely would love to play in the field," said Thomas, a lifetime .258 hitter at the Metrodome. "There's no [batting] cage, no nothing. You go into that hitting atmosphere, it's tough."

At least the Sox go into the series feeling good about themselves. They not only took two of three from the Cubs, they played error-free ball and showed a tremendous improvement in situational hitting.

Manuel also believes they were not intimidated by playing before three sellout crowds at Wrigley Field.

"We came in and did not flinch," he said. "We stared it right in the eye and played good baseball.

"Valentin made some great throws at short. [Miguel] Olivo, a young kid, showed up. Aaron Rowand. Willie Harris. Joe Crede, the quiet assassin. I like the way they performed.

"Some men showed up, and that's good."

Manuel also pointed out that the Sox have fared decently against some of the game's best teams.

A six-run ninth inning was all that prevented the Sox from taking two of three from San Francisco. The Sox split four with Boston before outscoring the Cubs 20-11.

"We've played some tough teams very well and that shows, for the most part, we have good pitching," Manuel said. "Once the bats start swinging, no matter who you're playing, you feel pretty good about it."

The Sox will have a slightly different look than they did for their last series at Minnesota.

Brian Daubach will get an opportunity to extend his 10-game hitting streak, during which he's batting .440 with four doubles and two home runs.

Daubach will likely start at least two games as the Sox's designated hitter. He's 1-for-5 lifetime against Tuesday's starter, Rick Reed, 1-for-13 against Joe Mays, who will pitch Wednesday, and 7-for-19 against Brad Radke, who will start the finale.

Paul Konerko, who hasn't started since Tuesday, is batting .141 in his last 25 games.

"Daubach will get most of the plate appearances until we get out early with Paul and give him some [extra hitting] work," Manuel said. "It's been tough to do that with all these day games. We'll see if we can get him going."

As expected, the Sox reinstated catcher Sandy Alomar Jr. from the 15-day disabled list and designated Josh Paul for assignment.

The Sox have 10 days to trade Paul, release him or send him to the minors. Because it's Paul's second designation of the year, he can opt for free agency rather than returning to Triple-A Charlotte.

Paul, 28, hit .353 with four RBIs in 13 games with the Sox.

Alomar hit .267 during his five-game rehab stint at Charlotte.

Guest Ncorgbl
Getting to the postseason is a very large step in itself, however, playing in the postseason is an entirely different beast in its own right. You can win in the postseason because you have 2 or 3 very good starting pitchers, a solid bullpen, and a solid offense.  If two pitchers get on fire, and another pitches well throughout, you will win a few games and a series or two. 

If Buehrle gets hot like he has in the past, and Loaiza gets hot like he did in April, and Colon is Colon(giving us 7 or 8 strong innings), we got a very good shot at getting to the World Series and even winning it.  You get Buehrle and Loaiza giving you 8 innings of shutout ball or maybe giving up a run or two, and you can scratch out a couple runs and maybe get an RBI hit here or there, and you win. 

To even consider winning the division, we'll need a more solid bullpen then the one we have now.  I'm all for trading White-flag, Glover, and Koch if it helps solidify the pen.

You are right, the playoffs are a whole new ballgame, one where whoever get's 'hot' can win it all.

We saw that with Cleveland in 97', and the A's in 2000 and 2001 who took the Yankees to the very end before they lost.

I don't care if we win the division with 81 wins, right now the only goal is to just get to the playoffs.

And of course I get up and get the paper this morning and the headline in the Sports is "The Doomsday Dome"  More whining from the Sox about why they don't play well up there and why they don't like to play up there.  The only person in there who sounds positive is Jerry.Yeah great mindset guys. 

Frank Thomas has a theory for why he and his team have fared so poorly at the Metrodome in Minneapolis.

"It just doesn't feel like baseball in that place," he said. "There's no color difference in the [hitting] background. You have those blue seats that go all the way around."

Blue seats, a white roof and a carpeted green playing surface have helped make the Metrodome a black hole for the White Sox.

It might be the only ballpark where the Sox don't even think about a series sweep. Or at least they don't talk about it.

"We just have to try to win at least one there," said left-hander Mark Buehrle, who will start Thursday. "We haven't won there forever."

Said manager Jerry Manuel: "We took two out of three from the Cubs. We need to take this same type of baseball to Minnesota and see if we can win a game."

Despite their 35-40 record, the Sox are a mere 5 1/2 games behind the Twins, the two-time reigning American League Central champs.

You get the feeling the Sox would give up their meal money just to win one game there this week.

They're just 5-17 at the Metrodome since 2000, including a horrific three-game sweep in May during which the Twins outscored them 24-6.

Other than two Jose Valentin homers—his last two this season—the Sox's bats were colder than frozen fish. They hit .235 against a pitching staff that ranks seventh among the American League's 14 teams.

Thomas went 1-for-13. His only hit was an infield single.

But that was Thomas, the designated hitter. Now he's Thomas, the first baseman.

"That's one place I definitely would love to play in the field," said Thomas, a lifetime .258 hitter at the Metrodome. "There's no [batting] cage, no nothing. You go into that hitting atmosphere, it's tough."

At least the Sox go into the series feeling good about themselves. They not only took two of three from the Cubs, they played error-free ball and showed a tremendous improvement in situational hitting.

Manuel also believes they were not intimidated by playing before three sellout crowds at Wrigley Field.

"We came in and did not flinch," he said. "We stared it right in the eye and played good baseball.

"Valentin made some great throws at short. [Miguel] Olivo, a young kid, showed up. Aaron Rowand. Willie Harris. Joe Crede, the quiet assassin. I like the way they performed.

"Some men showed up, and that's good."

Manuel also pointed out that the Sox have fared decently against some of the game's best teams.

A six-run ninth inning was all that prevented the Sox from taking two of three from San Francisco. The Sox split four with Boston before outscoring the Cubs 20-11.

"We've played some tough teams very well and that shows, for the most part, we have good pitching," Manuel said. "Once the bats start swinging, no matter who you're playing, you feel pretty good about it."

The Sox will have a slightly different look than they did for their last series at Minnesota.

Brian Daubach will get an opportunity to extend his 10-game hitting streak, during which he's batting .440 with four doubles and two home runs.

Daubach will likely start at least two games as the Sox's designated hitter. He's 1-for-5 lifetime against Tuesday's starter, Rick Reed, 1-for-13 against Joe Mays, who will pitch Wednesday, and 7-for-19 against Brad Radke, who will start the finale.

Paul Konerko, who hasn't started since Tuesday, is batting .141 in his last 25 games.

"Daubach will get most of the plate appearances until we get out early with Paul and give him some [extra hitting] work," Manuel said. "It's been tough to do that with all these day games. We'll see if we can get him going."

As expected, the Sox reinstated catcher Sandy Alomar Jr. from the 15-day disabled list and designated Josh Paul for assignment.

The Sox have 10 days to trade Paul, release him or send him to the minors. Because it's Paul's second designation of the year, he can opt for free agency rather than returning to Triple-A Charlotte.

Paul, 28, hit .353 with four RBIs in 13 games with the Sox.

Alomar hit .267 during his five-game rehab stint at Charlotte.

Buehrle seems freaked out by Minnesota. He was questioning why he was moved up to pitch there, and is quoted as saying we have to try and win at least one there. Whats up with that? Will the Buehrle protectors comment on these quotes. Definetly not talking like an ace, its time for MB to step up and be the 15-20 winner he is capable of being, but won't be with this attitude. If someone doesn't straighten out his head he will get lit up on Thursday

Guest Ncorgbl
Buehrle seems freaked out by Minnesota. He was questioning why he was moved up to pitch there, and is quoted as saying we have to try and win at least one there. Whats up with that? Will the Buehrle protectors comment on these quotes. Definetly not talking like an ace, its time for MB to step up and be the 15-20 winner he is capable of being, but won't be with this attitude. If someone doesn't straighten out his head he will get lit up on Thursday

They all seem intimidated by the TwinkieDome, but it's nothing a few wins wouldn't cure. I'd guess Buehrle was trying to say to win one and build on it. Makes sense to me.

They all seem intimidated by the TwinkieDome, but it's nothing a few wins wouldn't cure. I'd guess Buehrle was trying to say to win one and build on it. Makes sense to me.

When your opening day starter, and alleged #1 pitcher just hopes the team doesn't get swept by a division rival, it doesn't bode well for the remainder of the season. The attitude on this team must change now.

Guest Ncorgbl
When your opening day starter, and alleged #1 pitcher just hopes the team doesn't get swept by a division rival, it doesn't bode well for the remainder of the season. The attitude on this team must change now.

Have at it.

You've now three 'alledged' #1 pitchers, one intimidated, one who quits and one we're all waiting to see if he returns to his usual.

Looks as though you've some work to do.

Have at it.

You've now three 'alledged' #1 pitchers, one intimidated, one who quits and one we're all waiting to see if he returns to his usual.

All the world is critic. Win one and build on it, that's what you said you think. Me too.

Have at it.

Let's go to the way back machine. Conventional wisdom said that pitching was going to be a worry but our offense was going to carry the day

Hand E-Lo's record to Mark bump a game or two to Bart and we wouldn't be complaining too much about the pitching. If we scored runs like we expected, this pitching would look pretty damn good.

Confidence is lacking everywhere in this organization.

The pitching is not the problem, its been good enough to win this year. Its the offense and more importantly the attitude. I'm sure Buerhle isn't the only one on the team with the intimidated mindset. Playing at the Hump dome was never a problem until a couple of years ago. Wasn't Baldwin as close to a guaranteed win as you can get pitching in domes? The Sox clinched the division in 2000 there. They used to abuse the Twins ther. Its MB's quote " we have to try to win at least one" that really bothers me. I hope he was misquoted or it was taken out of context.

The pitching is not the problem, its been good enough to win this year. Its the offense and more importantly the attitude. I'm sure Buerhle isn't the only one on the team with the intimidated mindset. Playing at the Hump dome was never a problem until a couple of years ago. Wasn't Baldwin as close to a guaranteed win as you can get pitching in domes? The Sox clinched the division in 2000 there. They used to abuse the Twins ther. Its MB's quote " we have to try to win at least one" that really bothers me. I hope he was misquoted or it was taken out of context.

The loss at the dome to clinch the division is what seems to have started this slide in that ballpark.

Guest Ncorgbl
Buerhle was misquoted. The quotes that are on this thread were printing not so shockingly in the Cubune. The Suntimes has the same quotes except for his at least trying to win one game is at least trying to win the series. I feel much better now.

Shocking. The media tried to slant a story? I, for one, am appalled.

Buerhle was misquoted. The quotes that are on this thread were printing not so shockingly in the Cubune. The Suntimes has the same quotes except for his at least trying to win one game is at least trying to win the series. I feel much better now.

Pick your quote.

Winning the series sounds more like MB than winning a game.

The Twins board was pretty quiet yesterday. I was lurking not trolling, wondering what their assesment was.

I've been reading that Twins have a TON of clubhouse dissention going on right now, primarily because players like Guardado and Hawkins(who have both played with Minn their entire careers) are free agents at year's end, and have been told there wouldn't be any contract negotiations until after the season. Pile on top of that the 10-12 players eligible for arbitration who will be going up against Carl Pohlad, and you have a whole clubhouse of guys starting to worry about next year. Add to that the fact that they haven't playing well(didn't they lose 2 of 3 to the Brewers? The Brewers? That's like losing 2 of 3 to the Tigers..Oh wait, I'll shut up now.) and you have a team ripe for crushing. The Sox, based on their performance against good teams over the last couple weeks, are in a perfect position to do some serious damage. If they don't pull very close in the next 2 weeks, I hope there is a White Flag II.