If it goes Pods and Erstad 1 & 2...?

BearSox

Right now it looks like Pods will start in LF and leadoff and Erstad will play CF and bat 2nd. Terrero will also probably be the 4th OF since Anderson seems to have a pretty bad injury and if he doesn't start he will be in AAA. Now, vs. righties at least, Ozzie seems to have his mind set at batting Pods, Erstad, and Thome bacb-to-back-to-back, and IMO, that would be idiotic having three lefties in a row. Now, I have no problem with Erstad batting second since he is good no. 2 hitter, and Iguchi can be a good at the bottom of the order. But 3 lefties in a row is just a sign of disaster, IMO. If I had it my way, I'd, like many others, have Dye bat third. He can get on base, hit for power, average, and has good speed. He fits the 3 spot perfectly. And some say we should sandwich the lefty, but instead I would bat Konerko 4th since he is a better hitter then Thome at this point in his career, and is a better run producer. Thome would bat 5th, and Crede would bat 6th. Basically my lineup vs. righties would be...

1. Podsednik - LF; 2. Erstad - CF; 3. Dye - RF; 4. Konerko - 1B; 5. Thome - DH; 6. Crede - 3B; 7. Pierzynski - C; 8. Iguchi - 2B; 9. Uribe - SS

Now, IMO this would be the perfect lineup. Thoughts?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 08:28 PM)
If I had it my way, I'd, like many others, have Dye bat third. He can get on base, hit for power, average, and has good speed. He fits the 3 spot perfectly.

I agree with having Dye bat third. Your lineup is good, but I would have it like this:

Pods, Erstad, Dye, Konerko, Thome, Iguchi, Pierzynski, Crede, Uribe.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

It will be Pods, Erstad, Thome, Pierzynski, Konerko, Dye, Crede, Iguchi, Uribe.

Why will it end up like this? It's the natural extension of our lineup last year. The only way to improve on our lineup is clearly to make the top of our order even more vulnerable to left handers.

If it goes Pods and Erstad 1 & 2...

The White Sox will score considerably less runs than they would with a more optimized lineup. You know one that doesn't feature 2 of the worst OBP hitters on the team hitting at the top as a part of a ridiculous all lefty 1-3.

QUOTE(Craig Grebeck @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 10:11 PM)
if it goes pods erstad...

...i will boycott the white sox. screw ozzie and screw kw for the trash they're overrating.

Against righthanders those two (if healthy) stand a fighting chance. That's sort of the problem in itself, hoping both Podsednik and Erstad avoid injury.

However, late in games and against lefties those two shouldn't even be near each other.

i dont understand people bashing pods and erstad before the season starts. if they can both stay healthy i think that they will only help our team. you cant really make any judgements before the season because anything can happen. erstad has been a great hitter in the past and he has shown this spring that there is no reason that he cant regain his past performance even after his past couple of years. look at frank thomas last year, he had a couple of injury plagued bad seasons then had a change of scenery by moving to oakland and then had a solid season. there is no reason that erstad cant have that same fate.

QUOTE(rpmahr @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 10:32 PM)
should be 1 pods 2 erstad 3 dye 4 thome 5 konerko 6 iguchi 7 crede 8 pierzynski 9 uribe

QUOTE(rpmahr @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 10:39 PM)
ya i think he bats better from that position

QUOTE(rpmahr @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 12:54 AM)
you cant really make any judgements before the season because anything can happen.

Very logical sequence there.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Against righthanders those two (if healthy) stand a fighting chance. That's sort of the problem in itself, hoping both Podsednik and Erstad avoid injury.

However, late in games and against lefties those two shouldn't even be near each other.

Guillen has been pretty good at preventing Pods from seeing LHP by using Pablo, but if its Pods/Erstad, Thome is going to have a ton of walks and a lot less RBI's

QUOTE(Craig Grebeck @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 12:11 AM)
if it goes pods erstad...

...i will boycott the white sox. screw ozzie and screw kw for the trash they're overrating.

Relax Mr. Angry Slacks

if you're a true white sox fan you'll go thru thick and thin for the team, and if you're not then i really dont care about your opinion, anywho, give the guys a chance to prove themselves in the regular season, thats what matters and we shouldnt jump to conclusions as this is baseball and the weirdest things will happen

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 09:28 PM)
Right now it looks like Pods will start in LF and leadoff and Erstad will play CF and bat 2nd. Terrero will also probably be the 4th OF since Anderson seems to have a pretty bad injury and if he doesn't start he will be in AAA. Now, vs. righties at least, Ozzie seems to have his mind set at batting Pods, Erstad, and Thome bacb-to-back-to-back, and IMO, that would be idiotic having three lefties in a row. Now, I have no problem with Erstad batting second since he is good no. 2 hitter, and Iguchi can be a good at the bottom of the order. But 3 lefties in a row is just a sign of disaster, IMO. If I had it my way, I'd, like many others, have Dye bat third. He can get on base, hit for power, average, and has good speed. He fits the 3 spot perfectly. And some say we should sandwich the lefty, but instead I would bat Konerko 4th since he is a better hitter then Thome at this point in his career, and is a better run producer. Thome would bat 5th, and Crede would bat 6th. Basically my lineup vs. righties would be...

1. Podsednik - LF; 2. Erstad - CF; 3. Dye - RF; 4. Konerko - 1B; 5. Thome - DH; 6. Crede - 3B; 7. Pierzynski - C; 8. Iguchi - 2B; 9. Uribe - SS

Now, IMO this would be the perfect lineup. Thoughts?

If the suggestion is to bat Iguchi 8th, then I say just bat him last. He'd serve as a 2nd lead off hitter nad if he got in (something that he does a lot more then Uribe) then Dye would have a chance to bat with a man on.

Bob

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 10:59 PM)
Guillen has been pretty good at preventing Pods from seeing LHP by using Pablo, but if its Pods/Erstad, Thome is going to have a ton of walks and a lot less RBI's

Ozzie does an ok job of preventing Pods from seeing Left handed starting pitching using Pablo...(although there's still that whole defense thing)...but in the 7th innings and later of games, if you stick Pods, Erstad, and Thome anywhere within the first 4 guys hitting, you're simply asking for the opposition to stick in a LTOGY, and thus have Pods, Erstad, and Thome hitting against guys that they all hit .240 or worse against. In other words, it's basically just giving away 3 outs.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 01:18 PM)
Ozzie does an ok job of preventing Pods from seeing Left handed starting pitching using Pablo...(although there's still that whole defense thing)...but in the 7th innings and later of games, if you stick Pods, Erstad, and Thome anywhere within the first 4 guys hitting, you're simply asking for the opposition to stick in a LTOGY, and thus have Pods, Erstad, and Thome hitting against guys that they all hit .240 or worse against. In other words, it's basically just giving away 3 outs.

I think it will be:

Pods

Erstad

Konerko

Thome

Dye

Iguchi

Pierzynski

Crede

Uribe

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 09:00 AM)
I think it will be:

Pods

Erstad

Konerko

Thome

Dye

Iguchi

Pierzynski

Crede

Uribe

Ozzie will never bat Konerko 3rd because of how many times he'd ground into a DP. He'll hit cleanup like he has the past 3 years.

QUOTE(rpmahr @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 01:54 AM)
i dont understand people bashing pods and erstad before the season starts. if they can both stay healthy i think that they will only help our team. you cant really make any judgements before the season because anything can happen. erstad has been a great hitter in the past and he has shown this spring that there is no reason that he cant regain his past performance even after his past couple of years. look at frank thomas last year, he had a couple of injury plagued bad seasons then had a change of scenery by moving to oakland and then had a solid season. there is no reason that erstad cant have that same fate.

Hahaha, I agree but people are never done beating their favorite dead scapegoat.

Anyway, if we're going to move Iguchi out of the two-hole (which I don't necessarily think is a bad idea since he's wasting a lot of talent there), I don't see how we can move him anywhere but the 6-spot. That said, I also don't see how we can't plug Crede in there with the power he has. I mean putting him 8th? That's like the dead spot in the lineup. In any case, I understand the theory behind Erstad hitting 2nd. He's the prototypical no. 2 guy because he practices excellent fundamentals and has good speed but doesn't have good enough tools to belong elsewhere in the lineup. Too bad he's a lefty. I agree, put Dye in 3rd, Konerko in 4th, and Thome in 5th. Then you have LLRRLRLRR. Not too shabby. Hard to dodge that if you're the opposing manager.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)
it's pretty ridiculous that Pods/Erstad are going 1-2... we're not gonna score ANY runs this year... i can guarantee we wont jump out of the gate like in 05 or even close with this pair

People said that exact same thing with Pods/Iguchi in 05. Granted we didn't score a ton of runs then, either...but we did when it mattered most.

I think we need to see it in action before we can judge it. Adjustements can always be made -- if this even ends up being the lineup.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 10:47 AM)
People said that exact same thing with Pods/Iguchi in 05. Granted we didn't score a ton of runs then, either...but we did when it mattered most.

I think we need to see it in action before we can judge it. Adjustements can always be made -- if this even ends up being the lineup.

BUT erstad hasnt been very productive for the last few years... why would he bounce back now?