If it goes Pods and Erstad 1 & 2...?

BearSox

in the last 4 years, Erstad only hase one season with an OPS significantly better than Anderson's last year. And Anderson will do nothing but improve while Erstad is severely on the downhill... i just dont see the logic

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 01:12 PM)
If Erstad starts, we are in big trouble. Everyone that is overrating him without seeing him play day-to-day over the past 6-7 years needs to stop. He will hit .262 with a OBP of right around .300 - not #2 hitter or starter numbers.

I'd prefer to have Iguchi #2.

That said, I'm supporting Erstad, even if I'm once again in the minority around here. All of you Erstad bashers can piss up a flag pole.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 01:34 PM)
I'd prefer to have Iguchi #2.

That said, I'm supporting Erstad, even if I'm once again in the minority around here. All of you Erstad bashers can piss up a flag pole.

If it was Erstad in left field sure. But Prancer and Erstad is just f***ed up. Two guys who dont get onbase. The formula you need for a lot of solo dongs.

So the Pods/Erstad 1-2 punch is probably the worst in the AL but what about all of Baseball? Yeah probably.

Projected top of the order for all teams:

San Fran:

1.) Dave Roberts

2.) Omar Vizquel

Padres:

1.) Sledge/Cruz Jr/B Giles

2.) Marcus Giles

Dodgers:

1.) Rafael Furcal

2.) Juan Pierre

Colorado:

1.) Willy Tavares

2.) Kaz Matsui/Clint Barmes

Diamondbacks:

1.) Chris Young

2.) Orlando Hudson

St. Louis:

1.) David Eckstein

2.) Preston Wilson/Chris Duncan

Pittsburgh:

1.) Chris Duffy

2.) Jack Wilson/Freddy Sanchez

Milwaukee:

1.) Ricky Weeks

2.) JJ Hardy

Houston:

1.) Craig Biggio

2.) Chris Burke

Reds:

1.) Ryan Freel

2.) Brandon Phillips

Cubs:

1.) Alfonso Soriano

2.) Matt Murton/Jacque Jones

Washington:

1.) Felipe Lopez

2.) Ryan Church

Philadelphia:

1.) Jimmy Rollins

2.) Shane Victorino

Mets:

1.) Jose Reyes

2.) Paul Lo Duca

Florida:

1.) Hanley Ramirez

2.) Dan Uggla

Atlanta:

1.) Kelly Johnson

2.) Edgar Renteria

Texas:

1.) Kenny Lofton

2.) Michael Young

Seattle:

1.) Ichiro

2.) Adrian Beltre

Oakland:

1.) Jason Kendall

2.) Mark Kotsay

Angels:

1.) Gary Mathews Jr.

2.) Orlando Cabrera

White Sox:

1.) Scott Podsednik

2.) Darin Erstad

Indians:

1.) Grady Sizemore

2.) Josh Barfield

Twins:

1.) Luis Castillo

2.) Nick Punto

Detroit:

1.) Curtis Granderson

2.) Placido Polanco

Royals:

1.) David DeJesus

2.) Esteban German

Yankees:

1.) Johnny Damon

2.) Derek Jeter

Blue Jays:

1.) Reed Johnson

2.) Alex Rios

Red Sox:

1.) Julio Lugo

2.) Covelli Crisp/Kevin Youkilis

Devil Rays:

1.) Rocco Baldelli

2.) Delmon Young

Orioles:

1.) Brian Roberts

2.) Melvin Mora

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 10:41 PM)
Red Sox:

1.) Julio Lugo

2.) Covelli Crisp/JD Drew

I thought Drew was protecting Manny, and where's Youkilis?

Not that it changes the conclusion, just saying.

Edit: And Vidro's gonna bat third for the Mariners, sez Hargrove.

Edited by jackie hayes

I SAW 2 THAT WERE WORSE, SWEAR, THERE ARE 2 OF THEM WORSE

Pittsburgh probably will go with Duffy-Wilson, and even though Duffy can actually steal a base, he is horrendously bad about getting on base. And Wilson is like worse than Erstad offensively.

but shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit DeJesus is actually good, sry, Sox are #29 best

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)

Pittsburgh probably will go with Duffy-Wilson, and even though Duffy can actually steal a base, he is horrendously bad about getting on base. And Wilson is like worse than Erstad offensively.

Actually Duffy is really good and I am expecting a big year out of him. He was de-railed during the first half of last season due to injury. In 05, and the second half of last year, I think he has an overall average over 300 and OBP over 350. Let me look it up real quick.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 09:48 PM)

I'm pretty sure they got Lugo to lead off which is pretty f***ing stupid when Youk was doing a fine job. It's kind of a clusterf*** at the top of the Red Sox lineup so I just put a few of the names in there. Besides the 5 possible candidates are all better than Pods/Erstad anyway so the situation is moot.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)

Do the Pirates really count as a major league team anymore? They are beyond horrendous.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 10:49 PM)

Duffy's major league obp is .006 below Pods's. And his minor league obp is much better. And he's 4 years younger. But Wilson's pretty bad.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 09:48 PM)

So would that make Adrian Beltre the 2 hitter for them? I assume so.

06 splits...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/stats/indi...&statType=1

career stats...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/stats/indi...&statType=1

He also plays above average D, is young, and is a very good base stealer. I would gladly take him over some of the guys we have.

also, my guess would be that Freddy Sanchez would be batting second, and Wilson more towards the bottom of the order.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 07:48 PM)

Wha? What the heck happened to Ibanez? And Sexson? Why in the world do you bat the guy with 7 home runs and 47 RBI 3rd when you have a guy with similar average and OBP but 33 home runs and 121 RBI, and a masher like Sexson to sit behind them?

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 09:58 PM)
Yeah, that's what they're saying.

To me the Mariners are the 3rd most boring team in baseball behind PIT and BAL. Outside of Ichiro and Hernandez that team is useless and now know that Vidro will be hitting 3rd they look even more pathetic in my eyes. So yeah, I really haven't been following them this Spring.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 10:01 PM)
Wha? What the heck happened to Ibanez? And Sexson? Why in the world do you bat the guy with 7 home runs and 47 RBI 3rd when you have a guy with similar average and OBP but 33 home runs and 121 RBI, and a masher like Sexson to sit behind them?

They're the f***ing Mariners, run by some of the biggest idiots in baseball (Bavasi especially) nothing they do is supposed to make sense.

It would be interesting to see the same table above with career OBP numbers for all the players, but the names blocked out. My guess? A whole bunch of guys with OBPs in the .340s and hard to tell the difference between most of them.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 11:00 PM)
also, my guess would be that Freddy Sanchez would be batting second, and Wilson more towards the bottom of the order.

I don't think so...

Edit: I knew rotoworld was predicting him to bat second, but there's at least one more Pennsylvania tv channel that has a 'reader's questions' column where someone asked why Wilson will bat second. And in every st game that I checked, if Wilson played, he hit second. He looks set at that spot.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 11:01 PM)

Supposedly it'll go Ichiro, Beltre, Vidro, Ibanez, Sexson at the top. Kalapse already covered the why.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 11:02 PM)
To me the Mariners are the 3rd most boring team in baseball behind PIT and BAL. Outside of Ichiro and Hernandez that team is useless and now know that Vidro will be hitting 3rd they look even more pathetic in my eyes. So yeah, I really haven't been following them this Spring.

More luck than persistence on my part -- I just caught it while looking at something else on rotoworld. And if you see that headline, you gotta read it.

Edited by jackie hayes

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 10:07 PM)
It would be interesting to see the same table above with career OBP numbers for all the players, but the names blocked out. My guess? A whole bunch of guys with OBPs in the .340s and hard to tell the difference between most of them.

Eh, not so much. I'd much rather use my own judgment. I know most of the players in baseball pretty well. You're welcome to look up their career numbers if you'd like though, if you find a 1-2 that's worse let me know.

I mean just look at Rocco Baldelli for example his career OBP is 13 points lower than Pods but is there a single person on the face of the earth who would take Podsednik over Baldelli? I don't think so.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 09:52 PM)
Actually Duffy is really good and I am expecting a big year out of him. He was de-railed during the first half of last season due to injury. In 05, and the second half of last year, I think he has an overall average over 300 and OBP over 350. Let me look it up real quick.

His highest OBP for a month last year came in September. If Aardsma can be looked at as a mediocre pitcher because he beat up on AAAers in September, Duffy can too.

We'll see. His minor league numbers tend to look like they translate to a .270/.340 right now, which is Erstad/Pods territory. I'm not calling them good offensive players, and I haven't for some time now. I don't question whether he's a good player long term, I question whether Duffy-Wilson is better than Pods-Erstad, and really, it's not better.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 09:53 PM)
Do the Pirates really count as a major league team anymore? They are beyond horrendous.

Barring something catastrophic within the division, the Bucs are going to finish last or second to last in the worst division in baseball. I'm not sure they do. They do have uniforms, so I guess we have to count them. :huh

It just looks ridiculous on paper.

LF - Podsednik - L

CF - Erstad - L

DH - Thome - L

1B - Konerko - R

RF - Dye - R

C - Pierzynski - L

3B - Crede - R

2B - Iguchi - R

SS - Uribe - R

How can Ozzie in conscience write out that lineup before every game? It's just looks terrible.

And by age:

LF - 32

CF - 33

DH - 36

1B - 31

RF - 33

C - 30

3B - 29

2B - 32

SS - 27

AVG OF = 32.67 yo

AVG IF = 30.60 yo

LINEUP = 31.44 yo

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 02:13 AM)
It just looks ridiculous on paper.

LF - Podsednik - L

CF - Erstad - L

DH - Thome - L

1B - Konerko - R

RF - Dye - R

C - Pierzynski - L

3B - Crede - R

2B - Iguchi - R

SS - Uribe - R

How can Ozzie in conscience write out that lineup before every game? It's just looks terrible.

And by age:

LF - 32

CF - 33

DH - 36

1B - 31

RF - 33

C - 30

3B - 29

2B - 32

SS - 27

AVG OF = 32.67 yo

AVG IF = 30.60 yo