Tribune Company Accept's Zell's Bid

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 12:10 PM)
So I'm either confused or coming to a very cool realization...

If Zell, who has purchased the TribuneCo., has to now sell the Cubs, does that mean that the Tribune has partial indirect ownership of the White Sox now?

Just because Zell would own the Trib and a portion of the Sox, that doesn't mean the Trib has any control whatsoever over the Sox. Its just means that Zell has control over the Trib, and some say with the Sox as well.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 12:10 PM)
So I'm either confused or coming to a very cool realization...

If Zell, who has purchased the TribuneCo., has to now sell the Cubs, does that mean that the Tribune has partial indirect ownership of the White Sox now?

No. Zell is the owner of both. Its like you having a Ford and Chevy. They don't own each other, you own them.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 12:34 PM)
No. Zell is the owner of both. Its like you having a Ford and Chevy. They don't own each other, you own them.

I was once told the big shareholder with the White Sox was the Fanning Cadillac guy. Another interesting note is JR is saying it would be tough for Cuban to be approved as an owner. He also said his vote for approval to buy the Mavericks was 29-1. He was the one against, and if he doesn't want someone to own a MLB team, chances are they won't.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 12:51 PM)
I was once told the big shareholder with the White Sox was the Fanning Cadillac guy. Another interesting note is JR is saying it would be tough for Cuban to be approved as an owner. He also said his vote for approval to buy the Mavericks was 29-1. He was the one against, and if he doesn't want someone to own a MLB team, chances are they won't.

That doesn't surprise me at all. Baseball is still a good old boys club when it comes to ownership. Plus the current crop of owners has a few guys that like to spend too much as it is now, the last thing they want is someone like Cuban who will spend whatever it takes to win.

Okay, so what is going on? Zell bought the Cubs, but not knowing that he couldn't own portions of two franchises, he has to sell his stock in one, and he choose to keep the Sox's stock. So now Zell has to sell the Cubs? Can someone clarify this for me... My head is starting to hurt.

Also, what are the chances that the Sox get the majority of the games on WGN now? Or will the Cubs might just get their own station like YES?

I for one have hoped that JA would get a station like YES for the Sox and the Bulls, but we all knew that would never happen.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 09:16 PM)
Okay, so what is going on? Zell bought the Cubs, but not knowing that he couldn't own portions of two franchises, he has to sell his stock in one, and he choose to keep the Sox's stock. So now Zell has to sell the Cubs? Can someone clarify this for me... My head is starting to hurt.

Also, what are the chances that the Sox get the majority of the games on WGN now? Or will the Cubs might just get their own station like YES?

I for one have hoped that JA would get a station like YES for the Sox and the Bulls, but we all knew that would never happen.

Zell bought the entire Tribune Company. The Tribune owns the Cubs - they are an operating unit of TribCo, if you will. Zell doesn't necessarily want the Cubs - he bought TribCo and got the Cubs with it. Now he is selling the Cubs.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 09:30 PM)
Zell bought the entire Tribune Company. The Tribune owns the Cubs - they are an operating unit of TribCo, if you will. Zell necessarily want the Cubs - he bought TribCo and got the Cubs with it. Now he is selling the Cubs.

Oh, okay. Now it makes more sense for me... :bang

This could get interesting. Zell has to sell the cubs and will do so after 2007. Since he has part ownership in the White Sox, it would be in his best interests to have more Sox games on WGN. More games on the superstation would mean more money for the team and more widespread interest in the team around the country. I've always believed the Tribune company hid television revenue from the cubs bottom line. Otherwise, if they would've shown huge profits every year without putting the money back into the team, even cubs fans would've revolted against them. More Sox games on television, more revenue, and hopefully, a consistently healthy payroll.

Who do I think is going to buy the cubs? I've heard that Jerry Colangelo has an interest in them. If I remember correctly, he spent millions he didn't have and put the Diamondbacks in debt for quite awhile. Wasn't at least chairman when they won their World Series? I really doubt Reisndorf will allow Cuban to buy the cubs since Cuban will be like another Steinbrenner/Hicks and drive up league payroll. However, if Reinsdorf blocks Cuban, that would be an extreme conflict of interest in his partnership with Zell since the billionaire will want to maximize the cubs sale. In my dream situation, Zell would sell the cubs for $750 million, use most of that money to buy the White Sox, and dayam, we have our own billionaire owner!

Has anyone yet noticed the tone in the Tribune columns since the announced sale? Rick Morissey did a complete rip job and starts out with "Wrigley is still a dump". Look for articles reviewing Hendry's screwups and how idiotic "Wrigley" fans are for filling the dump.