TONIGHT'S GAME POSTPONED

Heads22

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 03:42 PM)
With ticket prices, refund issues, and TV to some point dictating times of games, we may see more retractable roofs in the future.

I dunno...it's not like those things are cheap. Minnesota is moving from a dome to an outdoor stadium with no retractable roof, IIRC.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 05:47 PM)
I dunno...it's not like those things are cheap. Minnesota is moving from a dome to an outdoor stadium with no retractable roof, IIRC.

I'm pretty sure it has a retractable roof, although I could be wrong, and am too lazy to check right now.

QUOTE(bardsroom attendant @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 10:17 PM)
Reports are that Danks goes against Santana on Sunday...uh oh.

Scott Reifert agrees:

Rotation

Ozzie just called me to say that they have decided to have John Danks pitch Sunday against the Twins. Our rotation now is Vazquez (tomorrow), Danks, Contreras (at Oakland), Garland and TBA (depending on how Buehrle feels).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 06:13 PM)
That was part of some of the original proposals, but was not included in the final deal.

300px-Twins_Ballpark.jpg

Here's what Wiki Gonzalez has to say.

I stand corrected. The open roof stadium for the Gophers football team? Makes sense. But an open stadium for the Twins? Completely idiotic.

Great, now people already have a built in excuse if he wets himself.

"Cmon, did you actually expect him to win against Santana?!"

"It probably tore down his confidence knowing he'd have to be perfect"

"How many pitchers succeed immediately upon arrival?"

All I'm expecting from his is to keep us in the game. Even against Santana, if he goes 5/6 innings and doesn't give up more than 4 runs it should be considered a success. This is hardly unreasonable.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I actually kinda like the concept of Danks/Santana on Sunday. Throw the kid into the fire and see what he's got. We brought him up from essentially AA because we were convinced he was ready to handle it mentally.

What better way to see whether the kid has the balls that we're told he has?

We already gambled on screwing the kid up by bringing him up so fast...I don't think this is that big of a gamble on top of that. Give him a challenge and see if he can handle it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 01:19 AM)
I actually kinda like the concept of Danks/Santana on Sunday. Throw the kid into the fire and see what he's got. We brought him up from essentially AA because we were convinced he was ready to handle it mentally.

What better way to see whether the kid has the balls that we're told he has?

We already gambled on screwing the kid up by bringing him up so fast...I don't think this is that big of a gamble on top of that. Give him a challenge and see if he can handle it.

But in another way, It's kind of disheartening for Danks to oppose Santana. Almost as if Guillen is conceding a loss and figures it won't matter who goes out. He wasn't scheduled to pitch in place of Contreras until earlier this afternoon. Something changed their minds. Whether they're intent on giving Count an extra day of rest, I don't know. He'll already have had 5 days of rest going into Sunday's game.

And considering how Contreras didn't exact overwork himself in spring training, I don't know why he wouldn't be ready Sunday; unless there is actual concern about his health. Even a manager as crazy as Gullen wouldn't start Danks over Contreras if not for a legitimate reason.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

They said on Comcast Sportsnet that Contreras was still scheduled to go on Sunday vs Santana.

EDIT: And now the White Sox homepage has Danks going vs Santana. Guess we'll know tomorrow. :bang

Edited by ChiSoxFan

QUOTE(ChiSoxFan @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 09:16 AM)
They said on Comcast Sportsnet that Contreras was still scheduled to go on Sunday vs Santana.

EDIT: And now the White Sox homepage has Danks going vs Santana. Guess we'll know tomorrow. :bang

When has comcrap been right about anything? The homepage has Danks, the big board today had Danks, it will be Danks. I'm okay with it. He's got to start sometime. It's not like Santana is hitting against him, although that might be fun.

Maybe Ozzie didn't want Contreras going up against Santana due to his mess of an Opening Day, didn't want to give him the extra mental pressure of going up against Santana? Maybe he thinks Contreras will be more likely to succeed in his next start if he dims the spotlight a little on the guy.

QUOTE(soxfansince04 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 07:01 AM)
Maybe Ozzie didn't want Contreras going up against Santana due to his mess of an Opening Day, didn't want to give him the extra mental pressure of going up against Santana? Maybe he thinks Contreras will be more likely to succeed in his next start if he dims the spotlight a little on the guy.

Well whatever the reason, it worked pretty well. Not as well as it could have with a W posted, but the next best thing - a solid outing from Danks without taxing the pen too much and we had the winning run at the plate in the bottom of the ninth.