Why is Brian Anderson on 25 man roster?

Pants Rowland

QUOTE(Beltin @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 02:18 PM)
I wish the video could show the entire play (i.e. poor jump, poor read, followed by reckless sprint toward the wall with no chance to stop and settle to make the catch). I love how some players make a play look so much more difficult and then people defend them by saying there was no chance that ball was caught. Like criticizing sure-handed infielders because they never get their uniform dirty.

This is the best view I've seen.

Go to Video Top Plays

http://mlb.mlb.com/mediacenter/index.jsp#20070410

QUOTE(Beltin @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 09:56 AM)
I am not saying Jenks would not have blown the save last night, but if Brian Anderson replaces Pods in the 9th, or at least moves into CF with Erstad in LF, there is a decent chance the Sox come out on top 1-0.

:lol:

Yes, BA would have made Jenks stop throwing crap over the plate.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 02:34 PM)
:lol:

Yes, BA would have made Jenks stop throwing crap over the plate.

No, but if BA comes in at CF and Erstad shifts to LF, there is a chance Milton Bradley either is thrown out at home to preserve the win, or holds up because he knows he is dealing with a better arm. If that is the case and the game-ending fly ball is hit to LF, I trust Erstad to get a better read and jump to make the play rather than Pods' silly jump. That is three outs and a 1-0 win. I do not deny Jenks sucked last night, but they still could have overcome the poor outing.

Jenks did suck last night, and that's a given. It doesn't change the fact that a better arm may have gotten Bradley at the plate, or a better fielder does come up with that ball in LF. That ball hit Podsednik in the head, and it didn't bounce off the wall first. Pods looked panicked in LF when that ball was hit.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 01:49 PM)
Line drive? If it makes you feel better about yourself, you go ahead and think that that ball was a "line drive". Any competent OFer knows how to put his mit over his head and make a catch.

BTW, watchtower, go ahead and try to defend that with the video right there. It'll give the rest of us another good laugh.

I don't need to defend... nobody has still answered my question as to what player on this team would have made this "easily catchable ball." But if you want to go ahead and insist that the defense is the problem for the worst hitting team in MLB right now, have at it.

s***, I think Pods has more hits in this series than the rest of the team combined.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 03:57 PM)
I don't need to defend... nobody has still answered my question as to what player on this team would have made this "easily catchable ball." But if you want to go ahead and insist that the defense is the problem for the worst hitting team in MLB right now, have at it.

s***, I think Pods has more hits in this series than the rest of the team combined.

BA or Erstad. Its implied when we say that the winning run wouldn't have been scored if Pods had been subbed out.

QUOTE(Beltin @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 02:56 PM)
I am not saying Jenks would not have blown the save last night, but if Brian Anderson replaces Pods in the 9th, or at least moves into CF with Erstad in LF, there is a decent chance the Sox come out on top 1-0.

Jenks would still give up the two singles and get the next two out and then Todd Walker comes up and laces the single to LF. Here is where the questions come.

Does Bradley test the arm of Erstad/Anderson as readily as he does with Pods? Maybe, maybe not. If so, is he out at home? Good chance (game over).

Say he is safe, do the other runners advance as they were able to with Pods' lousy airmail throw? Possibly not. Let's just say it all happens exactly the same and the Sox issue the IBB and the next batter hits the fly ball that Pods grossly mistimed so it hits him in the head and the game ends. If BA or Erstad are in there, there is no doubt they catch it and the game goes to the 10th tied at one. You are on the road, but you still have a chance. Even if you lose, you can not fault anyone for using your closer in his designated role.

So back to my original question. If you don't use BA last night, when do you use him? Today in the getaway day just to give someone rest? I agreed with Ozzie putting him on the roster because that is what makes the team better, but you can't be better if you don't use his best asset, defense, when you need it the most.

I am sure this has been debated in the post game thread but I thought the horse should be beaten to a bloody pulp in its own thread. Really disappointing loss. Pardon my french, but it was Cublike.

It was a real shame that Garland didn't get that win. Pods or no Pods in the OF the OF'ers were playing shallow and it was hard to get to. Plus Jenks shouldn't have given up two leadoff hits. The true reliever/stopper gets that first man out.