Taking the midnight train going anywhere

Gregory Pratt

I'm taking a train across the country starting mid-June. Going to Philly for the Sox series; Pittsburgh for the Sox series and to meet friends; then all across the country. From Pitt I'm going West, to Seattle and then down the coast to California where a friend is taking me to a few LA games/SD/SF/Oakland. From there I'll stop somewhere in the desert, probably Texas, and make my way up north through the upper midwest to Montana and the Dakotas, probably, although at some point I want to take the midnight train going anywhere and see where it takes me. Just one day I'm going to say, "I'm getting on the midnight train and riding."

30-day train pass. Unlimited rides. Sweet, man, and I'll be editing and rewriting my first novel which I actually just finished today and will be typing this weekend and then getting to work on next week.

Anyone ever ridden the train across the country? Any tips?

I'm ending my trip in Atlanta from where I will come back to Chicago or take a train to a place that'll take me to Chicago.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 01:27 PM)
Anyone ever ridden the train across the country? Any tips?

If there is something specific you want to see from the train, a mountain pass for example, double check the schedule and make certain you won't be chugging along that area at night. ;)

Ear plugs

Good books

Moist Towelettes

Eye Drops

Facial tissues

Plenty of small bills

Maps / Guidebooks

A travelers attitude. Enjoy everyone you meet. It isn't better or worse, just different. Get off the train and stop into the locals hangout.

Damn, I'm jealous.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 04:16 PM)
entering the Dakotas is like entering a time machine. We have western saloons and old west style gunfights and we all ride on horses. Pretty crazy stuff.

:lol: Hot damn, now I GOTTA go!!!

Then again...real men have FISTfights...just sayin'...ya pussy... :D

I've never gone cross-country, only about half-cross-country. I envy you, GP.

I've taken the midnight train from Chicago to upstate NY state and back. Also have taken it from Tampa FL to Wash DC area. Are you getting a sleeper car? Personally I slept better the trip I just took coach as opposed to the sleeper car.

As of Christmastime, they do not check what you bring on. Having a drink or two before trying to sleep really helps :). Also I'd bring lots of snacks on with you as well. Amtrak food sucks!! I second bringing earplugs particularly if you're riding coach. Kids can be noisy sometimes. Bring headphones for your laptop too, if you have one; I couldn't believe that some people actually watch movies in their seat without headphones. So rude!

I vastly prefer taking the train over flying, even though from the last paragraph it doesn't sound like it! Less lines, less chaos, roomier seats, great scenery for the most part. It sounds like a fun adventure that you're embarking on! I am a little envious, heh.

Edited by soxfansince04

Bring your own food and drink. Amtrak food isn't just bad from the Lounge car isn't just bad, its expensive. And, IIRC, they no longer prepare fresh food in the dining cars.

Padlock your bags. The first 24 hour Amtrak ride I was on, their was a pickpocket in my car, the second time, some dude tried to steal my laptop.

I'm not paying extra money for sleeper cars, no. I'm going to get the thirty day pass -- if that covers sleeper cars, great, and if not, I can sleep in my car.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)
Bring your own food and drink. Amtrak food isn't just bad from the Lounge car isn't just bad, its expensive. And, IIRC, they no longer prepare fresh food in the dining cars.

Padlock your bags. The first 24 hour Amtrak ride I was on, their was a pickpocket in my car, the second time, some dude tried to steal my laptop.

That's something I want to know about. What type of arrangements are there for your bags? Is it just bring it onto the car and put it under your seat or over?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 05:09 PM)
I'm not paying extra money for sleeper cars, no. I'm going to get the thirty day pass -- if that covers sleeper cars, great, and if not, I can sleep in my car.

That's something I want to know about. What type of arrangements are there for your bags? Is it just bring it onto the car and put it under your seat or over?

When I took the train, I usually checked my bag and then had my laptop and a few other items with me.

Ditto what Rog said about the food, it's so expensive on the train.

Also, be ready to meet some very interesting people. Lots of Amish.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 05:32 PM)
So are the overhead things like on airplane where anyone can open them or do they have locks? Is it just one big long one like on planes or different?

It's similar to planes, but I don't remember there being locks. Which I was nervous about on an overnight train. Although from Buffalo to Chicago there's not a lot of people on the train.

If they're checked, you're good. If you bring them with you and you have valuables in them either lock them or don't let them out of your sight. You put them on a shelf above you or under the seat in front just like an airplane. No locks, no security, other than what you provide for yourself.