I pray that Kenny trades Erstad for a $1 bill

Jay

It's the only way to get him off of the field.

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen says that Darrin Erstad is a far better CF and overall player than he thought. ``I never realized how good he is out there,'' the manager said. ``He knows how to play the game. He knows what the team needs.''

I don't really have anything against Erstad. I'd like Erstad as a fourth OF and backup 1B. I wouldn't mind using the rare managerial trade to ship Ozzie to anywhere on Earth, either. I'm tired of having a manager that thinks what "the team needs" is an automatic grounder hit right to the second baseman every at-bat with weak-to-mediocre defense in center field.

Anyone else believe that Ozzie is watching Erstad's game tape from 2000? I can't believe that I spent all of 2005 thinking that Ozzie and "grinding" was part of the reason we won. I feel dirty!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erstads been pretty clutch this series, how about we wait a little while before we start throwing players away..

Dye and Konerko next to go? They aren't hitting any better

Edited by Shadows

I just don't get how everyone can choose Erstad as the bad guy here when no one in this lineup is hitting outside of Thome..

I just think we should give it some more time and see if he remains a .200 hitter or not

QUOTE(Shadows @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 01:38 PM)
Erstads been pretty clutch this series, how about we wait a little while before we start throwing players away..

Dye and Konerko next to go? They aren't hitting any better

Erstad 2000-2006: .320 OBP with no power

Dye 2000-2006: .335 OBP with better than average power

Konerko 2000-2006: .353 OBP with power on the league leader board most years

Erstad last year: .221/.279/.326 for a .605 OPS

Dye last year: .315/.385/.622 for a 1.007 OPS

Konerko last year: .313/.381/.551 for a .932 OPS

Not a valid comparison. Dye and Konerko have a history of all-star caliber play. Erstad has a history of good years 7, 9, and 10 years ago (good year defined as breaking an OPS of at least .800).

He'd be an awesome backup. It's a shame he's so grossly misused.

QUOTE(Jay @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 01:56 PM)
Erstad 2000-2006: .320 OBP with no power

Dye 2000-2006: .335 OBP with better than average power

Konerko 2000-2006: .353 OBP with power on the league leader board most years

Erstad last year: .221/.279/.326 for a .605 OPS

Dye last year: .315/.385/.622 for a 1.007 OPS

Konerko last year: .313/.381/.551 for a .932 OPS

Not a valid comparison. Dye and Konerko have a history of all-star caliber play. Erstad has a history of good years 7, 9, and 10 years ago (good year defined as breaking an OPS of at least .800).

He'd be an awesome backup. It's a shame he's so grossly misused.

So what

You don't know what Erstad is going to do this year, he could turn it around or he might not.

whose to say Konerko isn't gonna have a year like he did in what, 2003 where he sucked it up big time.. All im saying is no one is hitting right now, so lets just wait and see what happens

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 06:49 PM)
One post and yet he already knows the ways of Sxotalk. Very nice! Welcome aboard.

As for your thoughts, you will not find many who disagree with you here. Ozzie's newspaper lovefest with GrindErstad the past few days has been sickening.

I think you'll find more disagree than you think. It's not worth the time

QUOTE(Shadows @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 02:04 PM)
So what

You don't know what Erstad is going to do this year, he could turn it around or he might not.

whose to say Konerko isn't gonna have a year like he did in what, 2003 where he sucked it up big time.. All im saying is no one is hitting right now, so lets just wait and see what happens

Erstad should be the starter because we don't know what he's going to do? That's really a glowing recommendation. We don't know what Joe Borchard will do either, but I'm comfortable with him being elsewhere, rather than being handed a starting job here that he never earned.

QUOTE(Jay @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 02:10 PM)
Erstad should be the starter because we don't know what he's going to do? That's really a glowing recommendation. We don't know what Joe Borchard will do either, but I'm comfortable with him being elsewhere, rather than being handed a starting job here that he never earned.

No, im not saying he should be the starter because we don't know what hes going to do.. he should be the starter because there isn't anyone better to play out there. And hes not doing any worse than most of the lineup right now, and he has recently been playing good in this Tigers series..

Why don't you try to understand what I am saying a little better instead of commenting on it in a different direction..

QUOTE(Jay @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 07:10 PM)

Erstad's earned it by his hustle, preparation, ability to work counts, hit situationally, and decent track record of having consistent AB's. Over the years, Ozzie has given his veterans a lot of time to get their bats going. He should do the same for Erstad.

While Erstad may not stay in the leadoff spot--he's there out of necessity with Pods being hurt--his defense and ability to do the little things well should keep him in the lineup

FWIW, you and I don't have a say in who stays or goes.

QUOTE(Shadows @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 02:04 PM)
So what

When was the last time Erstad hit 40 homers or put up an OPS of .900+? I can think of 3 guys in the lineup that have done that within the past 2 years.

When was the last time he had an .800 OPS? I can think of about 3 others that did that last year.

And since when is he signed to a long-term deal? That would make it a little easier to cut him loose, wouldn't it?

I just hope for the good of the organization, we can all end this entire debate and get a real CFer because Erstad is ridiculous, 3 for 5 today or not.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 02:47 PM)
When was the last time Erstad hit 40 homers or put up an OPS of .900+? I can think of 3 guys in the lineup that have done that within the past 2 years.

When was the last time he had an .800 OPS? I can think of about 3 others that did that last year.

And since when is he signed to a long-term deal? That would make it a little easier to cut him loose, wouldn't it?

I just hope for the good of the organization, we can all end this entire debate and get a real CFer because Erstad is ridiculous, 3 for 5 today or not.

You despise Erstad, so Im not shocked by your response

Like I said, well see what happens.. but I do agree that we need to get a real CFer, I just think that Erstad could be a decent option for now

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 12:47 PM)

Wow u can think of players that hit more HR's and have a higher OPS then Estad in our lineup. Thats really deep thinking on your part. Maybe if we had a whole team of guys like that we wouldn't lose a single game and have to listen to u b**** n whine.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow u can think of players that hit more HR's and have a higher OPS then Estad in our lineup. Thats really deep thinking on your part. Maybe if we had a whole team of guys like that we wouldn't lose a single game and have to listen to u b**** n whine.

...and we wouldn't have posters like yourself make excuses for players sucking ass.

Is Ozzie trying to trigger's Grinderstad's 2008 $6 million option before the waiver deadline?

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 06:25 PM)

and if we did, then I wouldn't have to listen you b**** and whine about me b****ing and whining

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 02:08 PM)
:unsure: It's too early to be bashing our players and manager. Let's wait till September.

Waiting doesnt play well around here. But you've been around long enough to know that. There are always the know-it-all, stat head , fantasy baseball geeks who think they know every facet of a game most of them have never played and wouldnt know a good team player, bad defense, or the difference between good n bad baserunning, or leadership if it jumped up and bit them on the ass.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Waiting doesnt play well around here. But you've been around long enough to know that. There are always the know-it-all, stat head , fantasy baseball geeks who think they know every facet of a game most of them have never played and wouldnt know a good team player, bad defense, or the difference between good n bad baserunning, or leadership if it jumped up and bit them on the ass.

Who cares about his base running skills if he doesn't get on base?

This team has more than enough leadership. We need less bad baseball players in order to be successful.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 04:30 PM)
...and we wouldn't have posters like yourself make excuses for players sucking ass.

Is Ozzie trying to trigger's Grinderstad's 2008 $6 million option before the waiver deadline?

Is every player in baseball a superstar or did I miss something ? As with most of the posters who support Erstad (and there are way more then the louder more obnoxious ones might have u think) we just support the team as a whole and try to leave the managing and general managing to the experts of which you are not one.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside