DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 08:18 AM)
I can't find his exact words, but, here is the paraphrasing by me...

"When I first arrived in the Senate hall, I looked around and said 'wow, how did I manage to get here?' Then after spending about a year in the Senate, I thought to myself, 'wow, how did these other people manage to get here?'"

That line has been attributed to Harry Truman, among others. It's funny, but it's old.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 11:33 AM)
Gravel stole it?

Well... I give up then, I've got nothing good to say about him.

I wouldn't call it stealing, actually. It's more like it's in the public domain. Lots of people have said it, and no one actually knows who said it first.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 10:04 AM)
ha ha ha!!

CNN and MSNBC carried the entire Obama economy speech live.... they both dumped Clinton's half way through!!

That's funny ... I was watching the Obama speech on CNN and they cut away.

WOW!

Poll: Obama leads Clinton nationally 49-39

OF INTEREST:

The two rivals' standings in the Pew Research Center poll have changed little from late February, the latest indication that so far Obama has weathered the controversy over provocative sermons by his longtime pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright. While Obama has a mostly favorable image among white Democrats, those with unfavorable views about him are likelier to say equal rights for minorities have gone too far and to oppose interracial dating. Almost one in four white Democrats who view Obama unfavorably also think he is Muslim, when in fact he is Christian. Obama and Clinton both continue to hold slender leads nationally in matchups against the all-but-certain Republican candidate, John McCain.

___

The Pew poll was conducted March 19-22. It involved telephone interviews with 1,503 adults, including 618 Democratic and Democratic-leaning registered voters. The margin of sampling error was plus or minus 3 percentage points for all adults and 4.5 percentage points for Democratic voters.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 02:14 PM)
I really think the post-SNL, let's be fair to HRC thing has worn thin, and Obama is pulling away again in national polls.

Incidently, I have been getting quite a few survey calls here in Indiana about who I intend to vote for in May.

I think it's a bit more than that. After Texas/Ohio, there's really starting to be a realization that Hillary really can't win unless she absolutely destroys Obama. The math makes it virtually impossible, she needs to win something ridiculous like 58% of the remaining delegates to pull off a pledged delegate lead, she needs to win big chunks to overtake the popular vote lead, and her campaign is still in the red in terms of fundraising. The only option she really has is the Tonya Harding option where she destroys him enough that the Superdelegates have no choice but to vote for her, and within the same party people don't want to see that. So there really is movement by some of the people who stayed out of the race, some of the online organizing groups, guys like Richardson, etc., towards Obama now just based on the math.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 05:23 PM)
I think it's a bit more than that. After Texas/Ohio, there's really starting to be a realization that Hillary really can't win unless she absolutely destroys Obama. The math makes it virtually impossible, she needs to win something ridiculous like 58% of the remaining delegates to pull off a pledged delegate lead, she needs to win big chunks to overtake the popular vote lead, and her campaign is still in the red in terms of fundraising. The only option she really has is the Tonya Harding option where she destroys him enough that the Superdelegates have no choice but to vote for her, and within the same party people don't want to see that. So there really is movement by some of the people who stayed out of the race, some of the online organizing groups, guys like Richardson, etc., towards Obama now just based on the math.

Yeah for a while there it was a lose/lose situation there for Obama. He didn't want to go negative like Hillary but she was just getting ruthless on him, he just kind of let it slide off. But he couldn't go TOO negative or he'd undermine his whole campaign message, that whole "I want to be different" thing and they'd call him a hypocrite (that word is a relative term when we're talking about politicians).

I think he ended up settling somewhere in between. He fights back harder than he did before but he's not carpet-bombing her or anything.

Clinton Campaign Stands By Harsh Letter To Pelosi

Aides to Sen. Hillary Clinton said on Thursday that they knew key fundraisers for her campaign were sending a letter to Nancy Pelosi, castigating the Speaker over her position on superdelegates and threatening, vaguely, to withhold campaign donations.

And while they did not go so far as to say they approved of the letter's content -- "we didn't know what was in it," said spokesman Phil Singer -- they did argue that the "letter speaks for itself."

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 05:56 PM)
Calls are growing louder from within the Dem party for this thing to end, and soon. I am thinking more and more we'll have a groundswell of supers endorsing Obama, and this thing might even end before the PA primary.

But northsidesox72, shouldn't all the voters have their voices heard? Florida and Michigan have already been disenfranchised, should Pennsylvania suffer the same fate?

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 03:59 PM)
But northsidesox72, shouldn't all the voters have their voices heard? Florida and Michigan have already been disenfranchised, should Pennsylvania suffer the same fate?

The votes will still be counted and I don't know if/when Hillary might end her campaign, but if the "it's over" meme really takes hold, that's the kind of one that could really kill her in PA.

A good comparison might be where the Republicans were after Florida. There's not enough delegates to end it yet, Huckabee doesn't drop out until it's officially over, but everyone kinda starts realizing that it will be soon. Doesn't mean that the last 3/4 of the states were disenfranchised.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 06:03 PM)
The votes will still be counted and I don't know if/when Hillary might end her campaign, but if the "it's over" meme really takes hold, that's the kind of one that could really kill her in PA.

A good comparison might be where the Republicans were after Florida. There's not enough delegates to end it yet, Huckabee doesn't drop out until it's officially over, but everyone kinda starts realizing that it will be soon. Doesn't mean that the last 3/4 of the states were disenfranchised.

What happens if the Howard Dean and the Dem leadership say "it's over", but Hillary still wins in Pennsylvania and cleans up in some other states? Shouldn't she have the right to claim momentum and a go into the convention with the super delegates deciding things, as Democrat rules clearly state?

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 05:59 PM)

Like I said, this long primary season is already more democratic than most. You want to reform the system, great. But at this point, I wouldn't call it much of a disenfranchisement.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 07:10 PM)
Like I said, this long primary season is already more democratic than most. You want to reform the system, great. But at this point, I wouldn't call it much of a disenfranchisement.

Michigan and Florida votes did not count, text book disenfranchisement. If they try to discredit Penn, Indiana, ect. Thats just more disenfranchisement.

The system states a certain number of delegates must be reached to win the nomination, so what I am suggesting goes along with the system set up by the Democrats.

Remember, every vote must count.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 07:22 PM)
Michigan and Florida votes did not count, text book disenfranchisement. If they try to discredit Penn, Indiana, ect. Thats just more disenfranchisement.

The system states a certain number of delegates must be reached to win the nomination, so what I am suggesting goes along with the system set up by the Democrats.

Remember, every vote must count.

In the current primary system, there is never and more than a fraction of the voters who really have a say. This year, its better than most. Add in the superdelegates, and, its really just a sampling system for the party to use as a tool. That being the case, let's be done with it.

And as I said, you want to re-do the system, I'm all for it. Get rid of the supers, rotate states in some fashion, so on and so forth. Then and only then would all the votes count.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 07:26 PM)
And as I said, you want to re-do the system, I'm all for it. Get rid of the supers, rotate states in some fashion, so on and so forth. Then and only then would all the votes count.

Actually, you are suggesting a total re-haul in which the primary ends early, even though no one has reached the necessary delegates. The system was setup to have the super delegates determine a contest such as this. Now if YOU want a total re-do of the system, that is fine.

Edit: Unless, of course, you are suggesting all the supers jump in to disenfranchise Pennsylvania, Indiana, and whatever other state is left. Thats fine with me and it would obviously be well within the Democrat rules. And it sounds like a good plan. :D

Edited by mr_genius