DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be surprised if Bloomberg makes an internal decision this week about his Presidential aspirations. Rumors will start to increase. If he runs, he'll announce later of course. But if he doesn't... he'll endorse Obama. And that will very suddenly make a distant New York race tighten.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jan 27, 2008 -> 08:57 AM)
Really? Looks quite authentic to me and I'm pretty good at spotting photoshopped work.

I guess the reason it did for me was because it appears to be somewhat layered. The guy with the phone on top of Obama, on top of the street. BTW, I didn't mean it to be "derogatory"... it just didn't look right to me. That's cool that it's authentic, though.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 27, 2008 -> 11:48 AM)
For that reason alone, I could never vote for the man. Talk about an endorsement he DOESN'T need.

This is an endorsement that helps him get the nomination.

BTW, the superdelegates are coming out in full force for Obama while almost all of Hillary's were from last year. The tide is turning.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jan 27, 2008 -> 11:50 AM)
This is an endorsement that helps him get the nomination.

BTW, the superdelegates are coming out in full force for Obama while almost all of Hillary's were from last year. The tide is turning.

As I said, I hope you all are right... but Hillarity is going to do SOMETHING, be it get REALLY nasty or cry again. The Clintons are not going to let this go.

As I also have said many times, I can't vote for Obama. But I at least respect him, and I think that he'd make a good president, even though I totally disagree with many of his stances.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 27, 2008 -> 09:48 AM)
For that reason alone, I could never vote for the man. Talk about an endorsement he DOESN'T need.

It may hurt him in your eyes in the general, but I think this one is vital for the primaries. 2 of the areas Obama has struggled with have been the older, long-term, white Democrats. The kind of Democrats for whom the name "Kennedy" means an awful lot. In the past 2 days, he's scored 2 of them. It may still not be enough, but barring some recent nobel prize winner stepping in, that might be as big of an endorsement as he could get.

Read some of the responses... they are interesting.

The Kennedy endorsements and the governors' endorsements are crucial. To say that Hillary's advantage has been built-in is an understatement: she is STILL shown as leading the delegate race on most "scorecards", which take into account superdelegates - delegates who haven't in fact voted and emphatically do not represent the will of the voters. Superdelegates ARE the Democratic National Committee, which has been against Obama from the start BECAUSE he threatens its members' self-appointed sinecures and undemocratic, unearned influence.

Hillary Clinton remains the candidate of that establishment. Meanwhile, those who have invested their souls in supporting that machine and do not fear the repercussions of snubbing the Clintons are beginning to voice their consciences, and those unbeholden voices are, not surprisingly, for Obama. People who want to see the Democratic Party stand for a broader purpose and not remain a private club for a limited number of interest groups will likely start paying a great deal of attention to this trend in the next two weeks. Hopefully it is not too late.

That's the one that is most interesting to me because Hillary is still in control of the party as a whole, IMO.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 27, 2008 -> 05:19 PM)
Read some of the responses... they are interesting.

That's the one that is most interesting to me because Hillary is still in control of the party as a whole, IMO.

Yeah but they can only go so far. If Obama wins a majority of states and regular delegates, what would it say for the Dem party if they went against that popular choice and picked Hillary instead? It would be a disaster.