WCIU and blackouts (HD related ramblings)

Steve9347

I am sorry, but something needs to be done.

There is no reason that ESPN HD should be blacked out on nights that WCIU has telecasts. This always happens, and I don't believe Comcast should have the right to blackout a better feed to show us a s***ty WCIU feed.

I was so frustrated last night when I went to turn on the game and had to watch it on awful WCIU, when a gorgeous ESPN broadcast was out there...

Also, what is up with Comcast Sportsnet's HD broadcast? It's awful compared to other stations. When ESPN shows highlights, I see NESN and YES and Fox Sports West or whatever all have gorgeous HD broadcasts... what gives, why can't they get their s*** right??

thoughts?

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 11:41 AM)
I am sorry, but something needs to be done.

There is no reason that ESPN HD should be blacked out on nights that WCIU has telecasts. This always happens, and I don't believe Comcast should have the right to blackout a better feed to show us a s***ty WCIU feed.

I was so frustrated last night when I went to turn on the game and had to watch it on awful WCIU, when a gorgeous ESPN broadcast was out there...

Also, what is up with Comcast Sportsnet's HD broadcast? It's awful compared to other stations. When ESPN shows highlights, I see NESN and YES and Fox Sports West or whatever all have gorgeous HD broadcasts... what gives, why can't they get their s*** right??

thoughts?

Write a well composed email to Comcast Sportsnet chicago. I wrote a complaint email about another issue and it ended up in the president's hands.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 01:48 PM)
Write a well composed email to Comcast Sportsnet chicago. I wrote a complaint email about another issue and it ended up in the president's hands.

Did you happen to mention the White Sox 10-8 record vs the Royals last season? All the Royals bashing was one thing that really bothered me.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 02:08 PM)
Did you happen to mention the White Sox 10-8 record vs the Royals last season? All the Royals bashing was one thing that really bothered me.

No, I complained about the soxtalk show. I cant say much else on the public forum.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 01:56 PM)
I agree that Comcast's HD broadcast is lower quality compared to ESPN and other stations. I find it rather annoying. And how does a crappy UHF station like 26 get MLB rights in the first place?

How does WCIU get the games? They are games that normally would fall to WGN, but since they have their CW/WB programming the games are moved to their sister station.

QUOTE(Phil McKrevice @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 03:25 PM)
Are you watching WCIU over Comcast, or OTA? I find that over the air, 26 has some of the best HD sports coverage out there. They're putting the finishing touches on their new all-digital broadcast plant, so I would think it should be.

Through Comcast. How would I go about watching it OTA? Do I have to run another cable line and then search for the weird like 84.2 stations or whatever??

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 04:21 PM)
Through Comcast. How would I go about watching it OTA? Do I have to run another cable line and then search for the weird like 84.2 stations or whatever??

You need an external antenna and a built-in HD tuner in your TV. After that, you just do a normal channel scan, and you'll find the channels (they're on different channels, but your TV will see them as their old numbers -- 26.1, 7.2, etc). Comcast compresses the signal to fit on their lines, which doesn't always work well.

The worst part is it says HD on the screen even though over my directv signal it isn't.

Most of my channels are doubled..one hd one sd, but not 26.

BTW- how come only the home games are in HD?

Does comcast not travel with the hd cameras?

QUOTE(black jack @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 10:17 PM)
BTW- how come only the home games are in HD?

Does comcast not travel with the hd cameras?

I could be wrong on this, but from what I undersand, it has something to do with not being able to get the necessary amount of bandwidth in other parts of the country. But they do use the HD cameras. That's why the Comcast games are in 16:9, and also why the games at Wrigley are in HD.