When will our offense pick up?

WinningUgly85

Seriously I mean we know what this ball club can do and I am bothered by the fact that we have great talent and yet we can't get any runs across on the board. I don't blame Ozzie for any of this, in fact I agree with his managing style. I don't mind that he starts our bench players more then other ball clubs; in fact I think it helps improve team chemistry. I am confident that some time our team will come around and start hitting on a consistent level. I mean our pitching isn't that bad. It’s just that they need to come around soon because we don't play in a very forgiving division.

:hawk:

QUOTE(WinningUgly85 @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 08:56 AM)
I am bothered by the fact that we have great talent and yet we can't get any runs across on the board.

We don't have great talent. Without Thome, only Konerko and Dye are above-average offensively at their respective positions. Everyone else is average or below.

To answer your question: We'll hit better when we no longer have automatic outs in LF and CF.

When we get a new hitting coach. And not only on this squad but down in the farm as well. As SSI71 repeatedly states, and is dead on, our entire organization brings up guys with long looping swings. Everyone seems to have the same hole in their swing. We need to teach guys to shorten up on their swing when they have 2 strikes and to slap the ball to all parts of the field.

BTW - My sig makes me want to cry.

Edited by BigSqwert

We have some real good offensive people who are just struggling right now. Crede is not average nor is Perz or Iguchi. Offense has been one of our major strengths and these guys are above average and higher with the bats. However, it is troubling that this seems to happen (slumps) so often for our guys. I don't know if you blame coincidence, the hitting coach or the elements. I am sure we will be clicking soon though.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 12:12 PM)
We have some real good offensive people who are just struggling right now. Crede is not average nor is Perz or Iguchi. Offense has been one of our major strengths and these guys are above average and higher with the bats. However, it is troubling that this seems to happen (slumps) so often for our guys. I don't know if you blame coincidence, the hitting coach or the elements. I am sure we will be clicking soon though.

You're right about Crede, he's been below average for most of his career. Good catch.

QUOTE(TheHolyBovine @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 08:26 AM)
We don't have great talent. Without Thome, only Konerko and Dye are above-average offensively at their respective positions. Everyone else is average or below.

To answer your question: We'll hit better when we no longer have automatic outs in LF and CF.

You haven't been paying attention have you ? The guy in the regular lineup with the highest batting average is the CF. And right now we have automatic outs just about everywhere in the lineup considering everyone but the CF is hitting below .225.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 06:36 PM)
You haven't been paying attention have you ? The guy in the regular lineup with the highest batting average is the CF. And right now we have automatic outs just about everywhere in the lineup considering everyone but the CF is hitting below .225.

Yeah, I've been paying attention buddy. I just know more about baseball than you.

Batting average means nothing. Runs scored, power, and OBP mean everything. Your precious CF comes up short in everything that matters.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 06:36 PM)

So Konerko, Gooch, Uribe, Dye, Crede all suck now because Prancer and Thome are out of the lineup. They cant hit fastballs because Prancer is not doing his prancer dance at 1st, and Thome isnt underneath the Cell taking batting practice.

Whatever.

QUOTE(TheHolyBovine @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 06:23 PM)
Yeah, I've been paying attention buddy. I just know more about baseball than you.

Batting average means nothing. Runs scored, power, and OBP mean everything. Your precious CF comes up short in everything that matters.

Apparently you weren't paying attention again to what you said this time. You said the CF is an automatic out. That refers to batting average. An out means you don't get a hit . A hit increases your batting average, an out decreases your batting average. Baseball 101 Mr. "You Know more about baeball than me" . All I said is that everyone is is more of an automatic out than the CF which is true.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 01:54 AM)
Apparently you weren't paying attention again to what you said this time. You said the CF is an automatic out. That refers to batting average. An out means you don't get a hit . A hit increases your batting average, an out decreases your batting average. Baseball 101 Mr. "You Know more about baeball than me" . All I said is that everyone is is more of an automatic out than the CF which is true.

An out generally means someone has gotten out on the bases, not that you didn't get a hit. You can walk and not make an out. So no, not everyone is more of an automatic out than the CF because the CF makes outs at about a 68% clip.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 07:09 PM)
So Konerko, Gooch, Uribe, Dye, Crede all suck now because Prancer and Thome are out of the lineup. They cant hit fastballs because Prancer is not doing his prancer dance at 1st, and Thome isnt underneath the Cell taking batting practice.

Whatever.

I think you're hallucinating . I said the CF wasn't an automatic out anymore so then anyone else on the team . Why pick on him ? Maybe you used to beat up the new kids to come into your school just because they were new or you envisioned them being a threat to steal your girl . And just in case my reference is too vague to understand I'm referring to Brian Anderson as your girl and Erstad as the new kid .

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 12:02 AM)
An out generally means someone has gotten out on the bases, not that you didn't get a hit. You can walk and not make an out. So no, not everyone is more of an automatic out than the CF because the CF makes outs at about a 68% clip.

When you say someone is an "automatic out" you are not referring to someone who has gotten out on the bases. You are talking about how they do when they bat. Such as the pitcher is an " automatic out" . Even you know that much. I think you just like to mess with me.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 02:16 AM)
When you say someone is an "automatic out" you are not referring to someone who has gotten out on the bases. You are talking about how they do when they bat. Such as the pitcher is an " automatic out" . Even you know that much. I think you just like to mess with me.

LOL, of course I do.

I am talking about base paths in general. If you ground out, you get out at 1B; if you pop out, same thing; if you strike out, same thing; if you ground into a fielder's choice, the runner already on base gets out so you are producing an out. Thus, how often you get on base, rather than how many hits you get, determines how much of an automatic out you are.

If you want to argue that a guy is not an automatic out because of his average, that would mean that Barry Bonds is more of an automatic out than Placido Polanco. You couldn't possibly agree with that line of thought, could you?

Erstad is doing just fine and in fact is the reason BA can be sent down to find his groove again. I like what I have seen from Erstad. I think that was a real good find by KW. I like our team and we will all like them better when they break out of the hitting slump.

Edited by elrockinMT