Thats a dont walk him loser

klaus kinski

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ May 8, 2007 -> 10:42 PM)
:chair

THEY HAD A 3 RUN LEAD!!! It would be different if that game had been tied going into the 8th, then fine, i can agree with the greviances people are having. But to blame this on ozzie is dumb.

QUOTE(RX Bandits @ May 9, 2007 -> 04:05 AM)
THEY HAD A 3 RUN LEAD!!! It would be different if that game had been tied going into the 8th, then fine, i can agree with the greviances people are having. But to blame this on ozzie is dumb.

So the game was over once it was tied in the 8th inning? I can't imagine how anyone could not find fault with Ozzie letting Morneau beat us. I never thought we should have pitched to Hunter in the 8th.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 8, 2007 -> 11:01 PM)
True, but could you have imagined how bad it would have been if we made the playoffs in 2005 and didn't win it all. Then, we follow that up with the Thome/Vazquez acquisitions, and we hit the wall like we did in 2006? That would have been awful.

True, but I really doubt the Sox would have went in that direction if they did not win it all. Konerko would have been gone, and a lot of other things would have more than likely happened.

Any outcome is now more bearable with the outcome of 2005, but I expect more out of a $100 million team.

I really hope the Sox are within striking range come the trading deadline and make a big splash to acquire a bat to fill out this lineup. KW didn't add enough last year, and it may have been the difference that last month.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 9, 2007 -> 03:33 AM)
Please no more Ozzie apologists. You cannot defend him anymore.

He tries to play the matchups game and wastes a pitcher while the Twins just switch the pinch hitters. It is not rocket science.

He intentionally walked Nick freakin Punto, but allows Morneau to hit with a base open and 2 outs - and Jeff Cirillo on deck. That is inexcusable.

Forgive me, I walked out when it was 4 - 1 to play softball but you're telling me Ozzie intentionally walked Nick Punto but didn't walk Justin Morneau? Ozzie WAS AFRAID OF NICK FRIGGIN' PUNTO BEATING HIM INSTEAD OF THE REIGNING AL MVP?!? And Jeff Cirillo was on deck?!? :angry:

Granted, the bullpen deserves its share along with the offense not smoking the fat meatballs served up in the earlier innings by some goof named Boof but this one, I blame Ozzie for this loss.

QUOTE(RX Bandits @ May 8, 2007 -> 11:05 PM)

The players didn't execute and Ozzie was made to look like a little league coach. Its not the first time its happened this year, and it certainly won't be the last.

Responsibility falls on both. But completely dumb-ass managerial decisions are something that can be easily seen and corrected. You can't just make a pitcher pitch better, but you can make a move that makes a hell of a lot more sense than what ozzie does.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 8, 2007 -> 11:11 PM)
Javy was only at 107 and was dealing. I know 107 might be a little too much, but he should have at least started the 8th, and if he got up around the 120 mark, then taken out.

He pitched a ton last time he was out. Don't want to burn out his arm this early into the season.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 8, 2007 -> 11:04 PM)
Why didn't he have Dye playing deep to prevent Bartlett from getting an extra base hit? Pretty textbook managing there.

second guessing at its finest. what if there was a single to right, one could have made the argument that if dye is playing deep then on a single the runner scores from second? this argument is obviously dumb, and thus im not making it. My point is that almost everything can be second guessed. why wasnt crede playing the line in the 10th...is that ozzies fault too? The end result is that the bullpen didnt give ozzie a whole lot of flexibility tonight

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 8, 2007 -> 11:11 PM)
Javy was only at 107 and was dealing. I know 107 might be a little too much, but he should have at least started the 8th, and if he got up around the 120 mark, then taken out.

You've been drinking?

QUOTE(RX Bandits @ May 9, 2007 -> 04:12 AM)
second guessing at its finest. what if there was a single to right, one could have made the argument that if dye is playing deep then on a single the runner scores from second? this argument is obviously dumb, and thus im not making it. My point is that almost everything can be second guessed. why wasnt crede playing the line in the 10th...is that ozzies fault too? The end result is that the bullpen didnt give ozzie a whole lot of flexibility tonight

Who cares if the runner score from 2nd on a bloop. That run doesn't matter. Crede was guarding the line in the last inning....he just didn't react in time. Ozzie continues to be obsessed with the L/R stuff, and he's putting himself in situations where he has to rely on Logan and Masset late in the game.

QUOTE(Allsox @ May 8, 2007 -> 11:09 PM)
Forgive me, I walked out when it was 4 - 1 to play softball but you're telling me Ozzie intentionally walked Nick Punto but didn't walk Justin Morneau? Ozzie WAS AFRAID OF NICK FRIGGIN' PUNTO BEATING HIM INSTEAD OF THE REIGNING AL MVP?!? And Jeff Cirillo was on deck?!? :angry:

Granted, the bullpen deserves its share along with the offense not smoking the fat meatballs served up in the earlier innings by some goof named Boof but this one, I blame Ozzie for this loss.

Nick Punto was IBB in the 9th with a runner on 3rd? Punto then took 2nd on a defensive indifference. So there were no forceouts anywhere.

In the 10th, there were two on with two out, Morneau up, and Ozzie allowed Masset to pitch to him instead of loading the bases for Cirillo. Which has to be one of the worst managerial decisions I have ever witnessed (see Hafner HR).

Actually, MMac caused most of the damage in addition to some horrible plays by Crede (missed foul ball), and Iguchi (allowing Mike Redmond to reach on an infield single).

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RX Bandits @ May 8, 2007 -> 11:12 PM)

So when the hell can you criticize Ozzie for his terrible lineups, poor bullpen management, and poor defensive alignments?

QUOTE(fathom @ May 8, 2007 -> 11:06 PM)
So the game was over once it was tied in the 8th inning? I can't imagine how anyone could not find fault with Ozzie letting Morneau beat us. I never thought we should have pitched to Hunter in the 8th.

Knowing people on this board..if Cirillo had beaten us then im sure the masses would be starting threads like "WHY DID OZZIE PITCH TO CIRILLO!!!!!1111". It's dumb and useless to complain about it.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ May 8, 2007 -> 11:16 PM)
So when the hell can you criticize Ozzie for his terrible lineups, poor bullpen management, and poor defensive alignments?

I'm all with ya on the lineups. I'm tired of seeing pablo, Rob Mac, and Cintron (although I know uribe is out to due family issues so i cant complain about that too much). defensive alignments and bullpen might not all fault on ozzie. Im not trying to be an ozzie ass kisser, but what about scouting? Dunno, just a thought.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 8, 2007 -> 11:14 PM)
Ozzie continues to be obsessed with the L/R stuff, and he's putting himself in situations where he has to rely on Logan and Masset late in the game.

Hes going to masset and logan late because the rest of the bullpen was bad tonight. Look my whole argument is that anything can be seconed guessed. so really, whats the point? I am sure there will be a time when he doesnt play the L/R numbers and some bone head will complain about it here.

QUOTE(RX Bandits @ May 8, 2007 -> 11:18 PM)
Knowing people on this board..if Cirillo had beaten us then im sure the masses would be starting threads like "WHY DID OZZIE PITCH TO CIRILLO!!!!!1111". It's dumb and useless to complain about it.

No way, because the Sox would have had no choice but to pitch to him. Ozzie had a choice with Morneau. Bases would have been loaded with two outs, and the Sox have a favorable matchup, with the ability to bring in Logan if the Twins pinch hit with a Lefty.

Why walk him in the 9th to lead off the inning, then pitch to him in the 10th when you don't have to? Indefensible.

QUOTE(RX Bandits @ May 8, 2007 -> 11:21 PM)

I'm all with ya on the lineups. I'm tired of seeing pablo, Rob Mac, and Cintron (although I know uribe is out to due family issues so i cant complain about that too much). defensive alignments and bullpen might not all fault on ozzie. Im not trying to be an ozzie ass kisser, but what about scouting? Dunno, just a thought.

Hes going to masset and logan late because the rest of the bullpen was bad tonight. Look my whole argument is that anything can be seconed guessed. so really, whats the point? I am sure there will be a time when he doesnt play the L/R numbers and some bone head will complain about it here.

What does scouting have to do with poor managerial decisions? Ozzie flat out sucks with the bullpen. He has been made a fool several times this year with his righty-lefty love affair by another manager simply switching pinch hitters after Ozzie has pulled his pitcher.

There was no reason to pitch to Monreau. And no, no one would have beens saying "why did ozzie pitch to cirillo?" because the bases were loaded and Cirillo is much less of a threat than Monreau. When you have to rely so heavily on hyperbole to make you point, you usually don't have a good one.

Are you for real. If you have a choice of pitching to the reigning MVP or Cirillo, you choose Cirillo. If you think pitching to Morneau is a good idea with a chump batting after him, then turn off your xbox 360 and call it a night.

This is a message board for discussing White Sox baseball -- why wouldn't we discuss, argue, and call into question the manager's very questionable tactics?

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ May 8, 2007 -> 11:24 PM)
There was no reason to pitch to Monreau. And no, no one would have beens saying "why did ozzie pitch to cirillo?" because the bases were loaded and Cirillo is much less of a threat than Monreau. When you have to rely so heavily on hyperbole to make you point, you usually don't have a good one.

That I cant argue with. Hell I was screaming at my computer wondering why they were not pitching to Cirillo. However, this loss is not on ozzie alone. The bullpen blew the lead, and everyone saw that homerun coming a mile away.

I was at the library studying in the 10th so i was following through gamecast...but what did hawk and dj have to say before the homerun in the 10th?

QUOTE(RX Bandits @ May 8, 2007 -> 11:29 PM)
That I cant argue with. Hell I was screaming at my computer wondering why they were not pitching to Cirillo. However, this loss is not on ozzie alone. The bullpen blew the lead, and everyone saw that homerun coming a mile away.

I was at the library studying in the 10th so i was following through gamecast...but what did hawk and dj have to say before the homerun in the 10th?

Hawk said something like "he's a strong one" or "he has some power" immediately before he blasted it.

But other than that, they didn't question it. They don't question anything.

I know you don't want to burn out Javy's arm, but at a divisional rival, you have to let Javy pitch, IMO. I am a big supporter in letting the pitchers pitch, and I really felt this was one of those times. Send him out to begin the 8th, and see what happens. Let him have maybe 10-13 more pitches, with Mac and Thornton warming up behind him. If he throws a lot of pitches or struggles a little, then take him out. If not, let him finish the inning. And then put Bobby in the 9th. Javy pitched fabulous tonight.

But I don't blame this on Ozzie at all. When the team has a 4-1 lead going into the eight, it nobody to blame but the players. Sure some of the IBB's were questionable, but this wasn't Ozzie's fault at all. He wasn't the one who left a cookie belly-button high to Morneu.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ May 8, 2007 -> 11:30 PM)
Hawk said something like "he's a strong one" or "he has some power" immediately before he blasted it.

But other than that, they didn't question it. They don't question anything.

i hate to say it but im growing tired of them. I guess it just seems like they have an excuse for everything. The only thing I hate worse than the radical fan who gets worked up over everything is thr fan that is "well you know june will come around and we'll start hitting."

Also, after thinking about it a bit longer, and i can in a way see why he decided not to pitch to cirillo. Heres my thinking: walk obviusly loads the bases and a single scores anything. Yet if you have a little luck involved aka a hard hit that drops, maybe the runner on second doesnt score. Not that I agree with the thinking, but its the only thing I can think of without looking at career numbers of our pen guys against morneau

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 8, 2007 -> 11:41 PM)
But I don't blame this on Ozzie at all. When the team has a 4-1 lead going into the eight, it nobody to blame but the players. Sure some of the IBB's were questionable, but this wasn't Ozzie's fault at all. He wasn't the one who left a cookie belly-button high to Morneu.

What I have been trying to get through to everyone tonight. Bonzer gave our hitters a ton of chances to break the game open and no dice.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 9, 2007 -> 03:33 AM)
Oh, and this game -- next to Chad Durbin's domination -- may be #2 in the number of hanging breaking balls and fat fastballs (in hitters counts) missed. I've never seen Joe Nathan throw as many meatballs as tonight. Bonser was just laying in pitches the first few innings.

Don't forget about Joe Borowski in the 9th inning of the 3rd game in Cleveland