Wilco fans??

watchtower41

Thought I'd start a little thread here for the hometown boys, not really sure how many Wilco or Jeff Tweedy fans are in here, but nevertheless, if you are interested or have been wanting to hear them, check out their new album "Sky Blue Sky" out today. Where I can't really compare it to any of their earlier stuff, it really is a fantastic listen.

:snr

QUOTE(bmags @ May 15, 2007 -> 03:18 PM)
i'm going to buy it after i go to the DMV. It will lower my frustration. I didn't listen to any of the leaks or anything so i'm gonna have one of those buy listen to all day experiences.

you have great patience. I was fiending for some new Wilco so I had to take a listen or two, but seriously, what other band would be cool with streaming their whole new album some 2 months before it is released. I :headbang Wilco.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ May 15, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)
you have great patience. I was fiending for some new Wilco so I had to take a listen or two, but seriously, what other band would be cool with streaming their whole new album some 2 months before it is released. I :headbang Wilco.

I agree it's pretty cool that they stream the album in advance but I could have done without the guilt-trip email they sent yesterday urging people on their mailing list to buy the CD. I mean, I'd have done it anyway, but it was a little much.

As for the new album, I like it a lot but I tired of it pretty quickly. They're my favorite band and it's still some great material, certainly in the upper echelon of anything else out today, but not their finest effort in my eyes. I'd say my favorite track is Side With the Seeds and I really like that they let Nels go nuts. And I like what they did with song structure on quite a few songs, where the chorus is just Nels solo-ing with no lyrics.

Edited by maggliopipe

yeah first listen sounds like they are really showcasing nels...It's all so beautiful though...as an album in their catalogue I think it's a pretty fit, not an epic album, but I don't think Wilco's done yet.

I tend to agree with a lot of your guys comments.... not considered to be an "epic" release for them, but a statemtnj effort with Nels aboard for his first album with the band. Jeff seems to be very confortable and confident with this outift, and that can only point towards a productive and positive future for Wilco.

I will say this though... "Impossible Germany" is one of the best sogns Wilco has ever done. Everything from the heavenly intro, to the subtle lyrics, to Nels' mesmorizing guitar solo..... amazing tune.

i really like the album now, whether or not its a great wilco release, it's gotten me more excited about music than anything other than LCD soundsystems new'ne. I love the opening line to the album too, i don't find the lyrics wishy washy, i don't find it boring or bland. Just seems more like a natural follow up to being there than the trio of summerteeth-yhf-aghostisborn...i don't see anything wrong with that. I liked being there.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ May 16, 2007 -> 10:32 AM)
I will say this though... "Impossible Germany" is one of the best sogns Wilco has ever done. Everything from the heavenly intro, to the subtle lyrics, to Nels' mesmorizing guitar solo..... amazing tune.

Definately. That was the first song that really grabbed me on first listen.