White Sox vs. Cubs, 5/18/07 (L)

BearSox

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ May 18, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)
we still don't have Jim Thome or Scott Podsednik, and we just got back a backup catcher capable of hitting at the major league level

a little patience beyond one game would be completely refreshing

I doubt we will ever have the "real" Podsednik for the remainder of his Sox career...it's not unlike Cubs' fans hoping for the return of Prior and Wood.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ May 18, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
we were 8-3 in our last 11 before today, no?

do people really expect to win every f***ing game?

Of course not, but when you are up 3-1 in the seventh with 2 outs and nobdoy on...yes!

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 18, 2007 -> 09:07 PM)
And Ryan "The Natural" Sweeney is now down to .200.

Well, at least he has SOME clue at the plate, watching Terrero up there with Hall at 2B was laughable.

And Erstad's now 4 for 34 against LHP. Great AB against Lilly, although a good LF catches that ball that Darin hit.

Sweeney has hit maybe 5 balls hard so far this season. As I've been saying all along, he's not strong enough to play at this level yet. He looks good at the plate taking pitches, etc., but the ball just dies off of his bat. He's the anti-Soriano right now.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ May 18, 2007 -> 03:07 PM)
Im trying to be patient. But its almost 40 games into the year and we have not one guy hitting over .265 and are four hitter is batting .191

Its just a little nerve racking.

"nerve racking", in my humble opinion, is an 8-19 start to the 2001 season coming off of a division title, watching big frank go down with a possible career-ending triceps injury, and watching the biggest offseason acquisition David Wells go nuclear, then go injured

all in six weeks

this is the friggin' kiddie pool compared to that s***, people

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ May 18, 2007 -> 09:07 PM)
we were 8-3 in our last 11 before today, no?

do people really expect to win every f***ing game?

We are what we r A 3rd place team that all I am going to say we can not go on any winning streak over 4 games. our manager tanked all 3 of those losses and the one today

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ May 18, 2007 -> 04:09 PM)
"nerve racking", in my humble opinion, is an 8-19 start to the 2001 season coming off of a division title, watching big frank go down with a possible career-ending triceps injury, and watching the biggest offseason acquisition David Wells go nuclear, then go injured

all in six weeks

this is the friggin' kiddie pool compared to that s***, people

Try 14-29 too...they did make it back to .500 around July and hovered near there for much of the remainder of the season.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 18, 2007 -> 03:08 PM)
I doubt we will ever have the "real" Podsednik for the remainder of his Sox career...it's not unlike Cubs' fans hoping for the return of Prior and Wood.

Right, but we will ADDRESS his roster spot at some point this season, via waiver or via trade

you can make damn sure of that

the real problem here is that Kenny is in between, and it's what I was saying all offseason. This team is about good enough to win 84-87 games, which means we have to stand pat with major pieces all year because we are never more than 4-5-6 games out, but never much closer. He acquired just enough pieces to "contend" but not enough to compete with the two or three other juggernauts in this division.

Still, we're in better shape than I thought we'd be right now given the circumstances.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ May 18, 2007 -> 04:10 PM)
Manegerial talent was the problem to day - Why bring in McDoofus to throw batting practice to the Cubs when h has been awful almost all year. I would have rather seen CLiff Politte back. It is basically the same thing.

The same reason Dempster was in after blowing a 4 run lead yesterday, or that Ozzie kept showing faith in Vazquez to try to get him over the 5th and 6th inning "hump."

A player who knows the manager has no confidence in him is dead to the team (see Anderson, Brian).

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ May 18, 2007 -> 09:12 PM)
Right, but we will ADDRESS his roster spot at some point this season, via waiver or via trade

the real problem here is that Kenny is in between, and it's what I was saying all offseason. This team is about good enough to win 84-87 games, which means we have to stand pat with major pieces all year because we are never more than 4-5-6 games out, but never much closer. He acquired just enough pieces to "contend" but not enough to compete with the two or three other juggernauts in this division.

Still, we're in better shape than I thought we'd be right now given the circumstances.

He's "in-between" because he tried to rebuild during the offseason instead of going for the title one more time with the core group of players.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 18, 2007 -> 04:12 PM)
This should have been my first gamethread win... Did the whole team just freaking give up when Buehrle left the game? 3 E's and a passed ball in that span of 2 innings...

Yea your first gamethread win is really important.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 18, 2007 -> 03:13 PM)
He's "in-between" because he tried to rebuild during the offseason instead of going for the title one more time with the core group of players.

I 1000% agree with you.

It's a "half-rebuilding"

I feel like a f***ing Astros fan or some s***

We are lucky the game was as close as it actually was. The Cubs left 18, count them, 18 runner on base. The Sox only left 8, but thats because they suck ass and not only cant drive runs in, but even get on base.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ May 18, 2007 -> 04:12 PM)

Which is why I've been arguing all along we need to blow it up and rebuild sooner rather than later....before it becomes a 3-5 year project, like the Kansas City Chiefs.

Despite KW constantly mentioning it, we got old one year too fast...Dye, Iguchi, Pods and Thome. And then Konerko and Crede struggling as bad as anyone, nobody expected BOTH those guys to fall off a cliff simultaneously.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 18, 2007 -> 04:12 PM)
The same reason Dempster was in after blowing a 4 run lead yesterday, or that Ozzie kept showing faith in Vazquez to try to get him over the 5th and 6th inning "hump."

A player who knows the manager has no confidence in him is dead to the team (see Anderson, Brian).

So bring him in next inning with the bases empty to build his fragile confidence. IMO, the conifdence issue is bulls***. If you are in the big leagues and don't think you belong, go home.

Edited by Greg The Bull Luzinski

I'm just gonna say it again: I was one of the few people that never had confidence in this bullpen. Only 3 pitchers in the pen had my confidence, and sadly, all 3 of them have not been good, either.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 18, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)
We are lucky the game was as close as it actually was. The Cubs left 18, count them, 18 runner on base. The Sox only left 8, but thats because they suck ass and not only cant drive runs in, but even get on base.

No, you're reading the box score wrong, if you're adding them up for each batter...I'm sure it was quite a few less than that, especially the first 6 innings.

Sucks Buehrle had to suffer for MacDougal's incompetence though.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ May 18, 2007 -> 04:15 PM)
So bring him in next inning with the bases empty to build his fragile confidence. IMO, the conifdence issue is bulls***. If you are in the big leagues and don't think you belong, go home.

Tell that to Garland when he was micromanaged by Manuel.

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, Ozzie has done wonders for the starting pitchers since he has been here.