masset start

Bubba Philips

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ May 19, 2007 -> 07:04 PM)
Sox vs Lilly, Marquis = 2 losses? Pretty bad.

We hit Marquis hard today, and did as well against Lilly as we have any lefty all year. Blame the bullpen and our lineups lack of anything against their bullpen, along with the defense and manager.

QUOTE(GarlandFan20 @ May 19, 2007 -> 09:08 PM)
Anyone remember Felix Diaz starting the third game of the Cubs/Sox series at the cell? I think it was in '04 and the team was down 2 games also.

It kind of reminds me of that. Maybe Masset will hold his own.

It was the second game of the series and the Sox lost. I'm pretty sure it was the one with 3 rain delays and then they called it when it actually was sunny out because the dump was more unplayable than your average little league field with no tarp.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 19, 2007 -> 07:29 PM)
The White Sox bullpen sucks.

Not nearly as much as the offense. It's just amplified because they're called upon in a tight situation nearly every game because the offense can't score enough to make quality starts stand up easily.

The only two victories that the bullpen wasn't called on with the Sox leading by 3 or less were the comlete games by Buehrle and Contreras. Everything else was

You can't win games like that. You need a breather. And not just once every 6 weeks. You need a laugher probably once a week to really have a healthy bullpen. The offense just hasn't allowed the bullpen any low leverage innings this season.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 19, 2007 -> 10:01 PM)
Not nearly as much as the offense. It's just amplified because they're called upon in a tight situation nearly every game because the offense can't score enough to make quality starts stand up easily.

The only two victories that the bullpen wasn't called on with the Sox leading by 3 or less were the comlete games by Buehrle and Contreras. Everything else was

You can't win games like that. You need a breather. And not just once every 6 weeks. You need a laugher probably once a week to really have a healthy bullpen. The offense just hasn't allowed the bullpen any low leverage innings this season.

The starters have been going 6 or 7 innings almost automatically. In 8 of Jenks' 13 saves, he's entered the game with a 3 run lead. I think its a stretch to think the bullpen needs a breather.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ May 19, 2007 -> 10:11 PM)
Jesus, we're gonna get f***ing swept...

Maybe not. At least Santana isn't on the mound tomorrow, or they probably should just forfeit. The wind will be blowing in. I'm hoping they can get into Zambrano's head, because he will be all fired up scratching his balls like nobody's business. Konerko and Dye are starting to show signs of coming to life.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 19, 2007 -> 10:10 PM)
The starters have been going 6 or 7 innings almost automatically. In 8 of Jenks' 13 saves, he's entered the game with a 3 run lead. I think its a stretch to think the bullpen needs a breather.

So when was the last time they were handed a 5-run lead?

5-run deficit?

They're pitching in high leverage situations EVERY GAME!

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 19, 2007 -> 10:16 PM)
So when was the last time they were handed a 5-run lead?

5-run deficit?

They're pitching in high leverage situations EVERY GAME!

Its not bothering the starters. They are going 6 or 7 every night. Jenks has the 9th, so that's 2 innings tops they have to get through. If they are already blown out by it on May 19th, they suck even more than words describe.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 20, 2007 -> 03:19 AM)
Its not bothering the starters. They are going 6 or 7 every night. Jenks has the 9th, so that's 2 innings tops they have to get through. If they are already blown out by it on May 19th, they suck even more than words describe.

How dare you say all these 97 mph guys suck? Last time I checked, only Jenks and Thornton have sniffed 97 mph. Aardsma, MacDougal, and Sisco have all been around 92 mph consistently this year. Aardsma got off to a great start, but he was also able to throw the ball wherever he wanted. He's not nearly as good of a pitcher as he showed during the first month. He needs to stay on top of the ball, or else he's going to continue to tail that fastball over the heart of the plate for righties (a big problem for Vazquez as well).

QUOTE(fathom @ May 19, 2007 -> 10:21 PM)
How dare you say all these 97 mph guys suck? Last time I checked, only Jenks and Thornton have sniffed 97 mph. Aardsma, MacDougal, and Sisco have all been around 92 mph consistently this year. Aardsma got off to a great start, but he was also able to throw the ball wherever he wanted. He's not nearly as good of a pitcher as he showed during the first month. He needs to stay on top of the ball, or else he's going to continue to tail that fastball over the heart of the plate for righties (a big problem for Vazquez as well).

I also thought pitching in "high leverage situations" was part of the job description.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 19, 2007 -> 10:35 PM)
You know, I was about to say, "Cheat's right, you can't expect the bullpen to be lights out every single game with no laughers in between," but then I thought of the Minnesota Twins of the last few years and got pissed off.

I'm not making excuses for the performances of the past two days, I'm just saying those performances been amplified because of the sheer number of close games the bullpen has pitched in. I'm pretty sure we lead the league in blown saves, and it's not because we have a terrible bullpen. At worst, I think you'd call them average. They've just been put in an inordinate number of high-pressure situations, which I understand is their job, but you can't expect them to be perfect. A little support would be nice.

Yep, I just looked it up. After today, the Sox will be tied for the lead in blown saves, which is really just a way of saying games in which your bullpen has blown a lead of 3 or less. The Sox are second in the AL in save opportunities (games when the bullpen is called upon with a lead of 3 or less) though, which doesn't seem like something you'd expect from a .500 team.

You could spin it and say they Sox bullpen has cost them ALL, or most, of those games, but you can't expect perfection. And when the offense ranks last in the AL in nearly every category except HR, they're the main culprit for putting the bullpen in those tight situations.

I'll agree, the bullpen has been particularly spotty in 1-run games. I doubt you'd be able to find the splits on that to back up that feeling though.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 19, 2007 -> 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not nearly as much as the offense.

I highly disagree. A Bullpen should be able to hold a lead for what? OEN inning? Maybe two? Instead of giving up... 4-6 runs? LOL.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 19, 2007 -> 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe not. At least Santana isn't on the mound tomorrow, or they probably should just forfeit. The wind will be blowing in. I'm hoping they can get into Zambrano's head, because he will be all fired up scratching his balls like nobody's business. Konerko and Dye are starting to show signs of coming to life.

Well sure, we can look at all the reasons why we should win, but did that matter yesterday or today? We may win and we may not, but it seems we lose a lot of games that it's projected we should easily win.

Take the Cubs out of the equation. Are you happy with beating the Angels in that series? Taking 2 of 3 in Minnesota? Besting the Royals in three? Sending the Yankees home with 2 loses to think about? We won the first 4 series in May and we hit like kittens. Screw Wrigley Field. Screw the Cubs. They mean no more than two loses right now. B.F.D.!

Fact is we're not hitting right now. But we are still in it. The Pen is looking a little weary, but we are still not out of it. I would rather let the Cubs sweep the Sox in all six games and play in October than vise versa.